Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the longest period of time you've owned one guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the longest period of time you've owned one guitar?

It just dawned on me a few minutes ago that I have owned my dkmgtff for 10 years some time this year. As one who has owned 50 or so guitars in his lifetime, no more than a few weeks sometimes, that this is a huge milestone of single guitar ownership.

Anyone else find find that one keeper? I also have a few others now that have been a few years now but that's because my passion and gas died. That one guitar though was pure love.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

I bought my Epi Black Beauty in 1996 so twenty years. I don't really like 22 frets any more but it's a great guitar, way better than any other Epi I've tried and also way better than the Gibson I had. Just modded it last month to match my PC-1 cos I was on a Def Leppard kick! Jazz neck, dummy middle cos I never used that, and a Duncan Distortion NECK pickup in the bridge. It sounds HUGE!

Last edited by MartinBarre; 01-31-2016, 05:30 AM.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

There are some guitars I would have owned for 20-30 years by now if I had kept them, but sadly I didn't.

The one I've owned the longest? My 89 Dinky Strathead. It's been about 15 years now.

The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Other than a couple Jackson guitars that I bought in the 80's, I haven't really kept any for any particular length of time.
        I have a couple for sale that haven't sold, which is why I have owned them for as long as I have. Plus, you keep them longer when you have multiple guitars or travel a lot, because they can get lost in a corner somewhere. And then, a year later "oh, yeah, I remember this one."

Guitars should be treated like women.
        Always be on the look out for another one, they sometimes pop up in the strangest places. Always have multiples waiting in every city you go.
        Some are used once and forgotten. Some are kept for an extended period.
        Some, you bang the shit out of, not really caring about damage. Others are treated with respect and given all of the upgrades and maintenance.
        Some are for a specific purpose, while others are for general purposes.
        Black ones. White ones. Yellow ones. Red ones. Zebras. Tigers. Thin ones. Thick ones. Modified ones. Ones that have been drawn all over.

And then, you always have that one or two that are long term keepers.

Comment

19 years.

1997 my parents bought me my '90 Fusion Pro for my 16th birthday... I've only owned one other electric guitar since then, Charvel Fusion... just for a few weeks, then sold to a JCf member.

few acoustics here and there but they don't count...

sigpic
          Action Jackson

Comment

Coming up on 30 years for the first custom Jackson I ever ordered.

Comment

My 70's strat I got in 84, decommissioned as it needs a fret job and body nearly unusable from dumb kid owner (me at the time) routing for humbuckers with a drill and chisel.

The longest one still in use is my Model 3 that I bought when they first came out so 86 or 87, one of the two (lowest sn I aver saw on the Model series - 222365). I resprayed i in surf green nitro, retired the neck and have a musikraft neck on her.

Other than that the longest one I have are a Jackson strat I think I got around 2002

Ordered and received in 2004

Bought in 2005

I still have all of them. I also have a bunch of top notch parts guitars that I build between 05-08
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

My Squier Strat wot I got in 1995...

Comment

I've owned my flame-maple '86 Jackson San Simas custom since ~1995. Will probably take that one to my grave!

Comment

I have a Takamaine GX something or other, the explorer model they did that I've had since 1983/84.
                    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre View Post
                      I bought my Epi Black Beauty in 1996 so twenty years. I don't really like 22 frets any more but it's a great guitar, way better than any other Epi I've tried and also way better than the Gibson I had. Just modded it last month to match my PC-1 cos I was on a Def Leppard kick! Jazz neck, dummy middle cos I never used that, and a Duncan Distortion NECK pickup in the bridge. It sounds HUGE!

That's pretty cool. I myself love a good lp style guitar. I have a trans green Japanese epiphone lp and a Chinese chibson. Love them both have had them for a few years now. The chibson is my favorite of the two. It's basically an epiphone that says Gibson and has the open book headstock. The only real giveaway that it's not a real Gibson is the scarf joint and the slightly smaller split diamond inlay on the headstock. It's an amazing player and it's got the slash set in it too. Great pickups.
                      HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

The WarAngel and my CS WR-7 will both be 10 years old this year.

Oldest one, though, is either the Gretsch Dorado acoustic or the Vantage FV575 I've had since the early-mid 90s, followed by the Pearl White Concert V.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I have gone on complete wholesale lately. I don't have anything I had long term. I had to get rid of all my gear and start fresh new lease on life stuff ex's bought me etc... My Les Paul is my longest at 2 years. Just got rid of a 15 year old dime and 12 year old strat.
                          I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                          So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I have a Cameo Les Paul copy purchased used in 1984 and a 74' Fender musicmaster bass purchased in 1986 so over 30yrs. on one and almost 30 on the other.

Comment

I still "own" the 1963 SG I got for my birthday in 1982, it was my first guitar.. My brother has it back home, I left it with him since I inherited my Dad's Les Paul..
                              Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

Working...
                              X