Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metallica - The worlds greatest metal sellout band? I think so...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
    What Tommy said.
    can't explain it either, this band has evaded me from the door. yet i dig megadeth. i think they stomp metallica into bits and pieces. we're talking both in their prime here.
    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
      can't explain it either, this band has evaded me from the door. yet i dig megadeth. i think they stomp metallica into bits and pieces. we're talking both in their prime here.
      I've always preferred Megadeth over Metallica. Though, I think James' voice is just a little better.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimitz View Post

James Hetfield also said...

"But we’ll never stop
        We’ll never quit
        ‘Cause we’re Metallica"

I hope they keep selling out forever!!!

They got their success, so good for them. I'm still a casual fan and like their old stuff.
        I stopped listening to them after St. Anger came out. I don't think St. Anger is a particularly bad album (it's got some decent tunes), but the snare drum sound sucks, and the lack of guitar solos dates it to that Nu-Metal period where they tuned down and just followed a trend.
        I didn't even bother getting Death Magnetic, but I did hear it once or twice when was first leaked onto Youtube. It seemed like a halfway decent return to form, but Rick Rubin's production wasn't that great, and they just didn't suck me back in.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimitz View Post

James Hetfield also said...

"But we’ll never stop
          We’ll never quit
          ‘Cause we’re Metallica"

I hope they keep selling out forever!!!

I don't. As they get older Kirk and Lars get shittier and make more mistakes while James just goes off into his own little world, refuses to sing the 80's stuff correctly, and just goes "master of puppets I'm pulling your strings yeah pulling your strings yo-oh whoa yeah!" while that gorilla on bass always looks like he's tickling his nuts from a distance with the way he plays.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            I don't think St. Anger is a particularly bad album (it's got some decent tunes), but the snare drum sound sucks, and the lack of guitar solos dates it to that Nu-Metal period where they tuned down and just followed a trend.
            Death Magnetic, It seemed like a halfway decent return to form, but Rick Rubin's production wasn't that great,
            agree.

Originally posted by Sephiroth View Post
            James just goes off into his own little world, refuses to sing the 80's stuff correctly,
            Dudes getting old... look at Geddy Lee's singing now... yikes!

while that gorilla on bass always looks like he's tickling his nuts from a distance with the way he plays.
            sigpic
            Action Jackson

Comment

When people give you a ton of money from the albums you sold because you toured for 2 years straight to promote the album (MoP), you tend to lose the whole "teen angst I'm broke grrr" and other bullshit that connected you with the fans in the first place. When you tour for 2 years straight, you figure out that hard work gets you out of your dead-end teenage existence that got you into that style of music in the first place, and that you can only tell the same story in song so many times before someone says "dude, move on that was years ago".

Look at Appetite for Destruction. One of the definitive "I'm broke, I'm hungry, I'm angry" albums ever recorded from start to finish. Made them rich. They were no longer poor, hungry, and had very little to be angry about, and everything after that was weak-ass.

Metallica went through their teenage/young adult drug addiction and rehab and wrote songs about it, they wrote the songs they had to write about the depression of a nowhere life, and they wrote the songs about their shared experiences in the early thrash scene. It's done. Are they supposed to just keep writing about the same old shit that they now have only faded memories of? Are they supposed to keep being angry about the same old things that made them angry as teenagers? Are they supposed to keep writing about being broke and stoned with no future while on the plane to tour Japan?

Seriously, I don't get how bands grow up but fans don't. Just because your life still sucks and theirs doesn't, they're supposed to write songs about how much your life still sucks? Work your way out of a sucky life like they did. Write songs about how much your life sucks like they did. When you find an audience who identifies with you and makes you a ton of money, let's see if you'd still write convincing songs about how much your life still sucks.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

sigpic
                Action Jackson

Comment

I don't. As they get older Kirk and Lars get shittier and make more mistakes while James just goes off into his own little world, refuses to sing the 80's stuff correctly, and just goes "master of puppets I'm pulling your strings yeah pulling your strings yo-oh whoa yeah!" while that gorilla on bass always looks like he's tickling his nuts from a distance with the way he plays.
                  Best quote in the thread, couldnt have said it any better!
                  Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                    +1
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Holy crap, I can't believe we've never discussed this before!

MOP is a thrashterpiece and deserves respect, the level of aggression and talent for a (still)somewhat undiscovered/lower budget band was nothing short of phenomenal! I can only imagine the direction they would've headed into if Cliff didn't die. AJFA was an assault of guitar madness, it lacked the melody and harmonic complexity found on MOP(but I know we've all read/heard/seen countless stories about how the tragic death of Cliff affected the band). For me personally, RTL was my favorite and you could argue all day long that Fade to Black was a ballad. The intro to fight fire with fire great melodicism. The intro to battery, most of sanitarium, the breakdown in orion, etc... all ballady, but also kick ass.

I agree with the earlier post(to lazy to quote)about who they toured with, their bon jovi style assigned seating, their stand offish attitude towards the fans. Sell outs, maybe? BUT the truth of the matter is ~ They no longer give a fuck because they don't have too! No they didn't stay true to their roots, but with a massive change in the writing process( cliff), it was bound to happen. They never gave Newstead a real chance, and he could play. shit happens...
                      Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                        Metallica can do and say as they wish...same as you and I.
                        They gave us those first few albums, they owe us nothing more.
                        An WE owe them nothing more.....I fully agree with the original post in the thread.
                        Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          When people give you a ton of money from the albums you sold because you toured for 2 years straight to promote the album (MoP), you tend to lose the whole "teen angst I'm broke grrr" and other bullshit that connected you with the fans in the first place. When you tour for 2 years straight, you figure out that hard work gets you out of your dead-end teenage existence that got you into that style of music in the first place, and that you can only tell the same story in song so many times before someone says "dude, move on that was years ago".

Look at Appetite for Destruction. One of the definitive "I'm broke, I'm hungry, I'm angry" albums ever recorded from start to finish. Made them rich. They were no longer poor, hungry, and had very little to be angry about, and everything after that was weak-ass.

Metallica went through their teenage/young adult drug addiction and rehab and wrote songs about it, they wrote the songs they had to write about the depression of a nowhere life, and they wrote the songs about their shared experiences in the early thrash scene. It's done. Are they supposed to just keep writing about the same old shit that they now have only faded memories of? Are they supposed to keep being angry about the same old things that made them angry as teenagers? Are they supposed to keep writing about being broke and stoned with no future while on the plane to tour Japan?

Seriously, I don't get how bands grow up but fans don't. Just because your life still sucks and theirs doesn't, they're supposed to write songs about how much your life still sucks? Work your way out of a sucky life like they did. Write songs about how much your life sucks like they did. When you find an audience who identifies with you and makes you a ton of money, let's see if you'd still write convincing songs about how much your life still sucks.
                          They're a "dad-rock" band now, and like Maiden, Rush, AC/DC, and all the others, not one ticket sold was to anyone who wants to hear their new shit.

And when did they ever write about being broke? The only time I remember them ever mentioning money was the Justice tour shirts that said "money tips the scale" while their ticket prices were twice that of the other big four (usually with tiered ticket prices and assigned seating).

And if they are to write about who they are now, then they gotta go "rapper" and do a vid where they all hold wads of cash, shop Rodeo Drive, and have a fleet of Ferraris in the video (or in James's case custom hot rods). It's not about being angry, and is about metal being metal, and sure after a while Metallica albums became formulaic which is why they did the black album, but the point stands that people want and still want to ehar the classics that defined them and made them who they are.

It's about being abstract and reaching for trains of thought outside of the commercial songs about puppy love, ballads, partying, etc. That's why it was all but forbidden for metal bands to do love songs. It was to push the mental boundaries. Just look at Voivod's Dimension Hatross about a guy who builds a particle accelerator that throws him into an Orwellian alternate dimension. And THAT is ultimately what I think a lot of fans are waiting for more of. Metal can express differing things and differing states of mind that other genres just cannot do at all.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	mwKWJvj.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	2448139

Comment

They're a "dad-rock" band now, and like Maiden, Rush, AC/DC, and all the others, not one ticket sold was to anyone who wants to hear their new shit.

And when did they ever write about being broke? The only time I remember them ever mentioning money was the Justice tour shirts that said "money tips the scale" while their ticket prices were twice that of the other big four (usually with tiered ticket prices and assigned seating).

And if they are to write about who they are now, then they gotta go "rapper" and do a vid where they all hold wads of cash, shop Rodeo Drive, and have a fleet of Ferraris in the video (or in James's case custom hot rods). It's not about being angry, and is about metal being metal, and sure after a while Metallica albums became formulaic which is why they did the black album, but the point stands that people want and still want to ehar the classics that defined them and made them who they are.

It's about being abstract and reaching for trains of thought outside of the commercial songs about puppy love, ballads, partying, etc. That's why it was all but forbidden for metal bands to do love songs. It was to push the mental boundaries. Just look at Voivod's Dimension Hatross about a guy who builds a particle accelerator that throws him into an Orwellian alternate dimension. And THAT is ultimately what I think a lot of fans are waiting for more of. Metal can express differing things and differing states of mind that other genres just cannot do at all.
                              next you'll be telling us that Metallica weren't writing about partying down, banging chicks & getting wasted on Jack & Coke. Isn't that what One was about?
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                                next you'll be telling us that Metallica weren't writing about partying down, banging chicks & getting wasted on Jack & Coke. Isn't that what One was about?
                                Well, James did say, "I can't remember anything, can't tell if this is true or dream".

Comment

Working...
                                X