Anyone read music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone read music?

I'm back in guitar lessons and re learning how to read music. I feel it's a tuff up hill battle but it's something I want to learn.
    I have not read music since 1979-1980.
    Do you guys find it necessary? Essential? Waste of time? Know it but don't really use it? Find it useful sometimes?

Curious on how you guys/ girls use it?

No. That's what tab is for.

Comment

I know enough to be dangerous, and went through a classical guitar phase a few years ago (didn't last). It's useful for sequencing keyboard parts and even drums when home recording (tab won't get you there). I can limp along with it, I wish I were a bit more skilled. It's tough to get over that hump.

Comment

I can figure out what's going on if I stare at it long enough. No where near able to sight read. I went back for lessons years ago to better understand scales better, which was useful, but mostly in learning where they fit on the neck than knowing them when I see them.

It's a handicap for sure, but yeah, tab rules.

Comment

I'm a decent sight reader. It helps a lot in the task of being a complete musician.

Comment

Started playing when I was 6 and it was classical guitar until i was 14. also, piano too so I can sight read pretty well. however, I don't write my music down so I don't technically fully read/write.

Comment

I would say it comes in handy. not always as most rock n roll and blues is "feel" and not strictly written notes.

Comment

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this old musician joke yet...

How do you get a guitar player to stop playing???

Put sheet music in front of him!

Comment

I started on piano & brass instruments when i was 5 so after about 8 years of that, i could read it pretty well. Then along came guitar. Apart from the rare use of tab, i do everything by ear. I can figure out sheet if i look at it long enough but what's the point when i can play what i hear?

Comment

Yeah, I used to be quite proficient. Was originally going to college for music, actually. Many years ago, though. ...Now, I can't sight read for shit. My daughters can read better for their middle school orchestra. LOL

Its a very useful skill, especially when learning an instrument. Wish I still had some of that old skill, but I just don't have the time to dedicate to it. I'm pretty much a hobbyist hack now. LOL

Comment

I can read music. But my feeling is----
                      I play live, which means memorizing the music is the priority. So who cares how the music gets there. Whether it is reading music, tab, or by ear.

Comment

Sometimes, I'll turn on my black lights and surround myself with sheet music Bruckner, Dvorak, Fucik, Grieg, etc... very surreal!
                        Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

I had a guitar teacher my first year of playing who taught me tab. My second year guitar teacher taught me how to learn by ear. I still use tab as a reference to play signature or recognizable riffs but for the most part I learn by ear. I took Musicianship I and II in college. I think the most valuable thing I learned at the time was the circle of 5ths. Now I don't remember any of it.

Comment

Reading isn't too hard with practice. I find accompanying tab makes for the best of both worlds.

Comment

one picture will make things so easy

Comment

Working...
                              X