No announcement yet.

The purple one is dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I lol'ed. Guess I'm going to hell for sure now.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Sandman View Post
      First they said " the unpronounceable love symbol". Does that mean he changed his name to "The fuck symbol" and the media had to call him "The artist formerly known as prince". Now it`s back to Prince....

Anyone?
      The Artist Formerly Known as Prince...
      When you sign a contract, you basically give up all rights to be creative. They could make Metallica do Debbie Gibson tunes if they wanted.

Prince was an artist. He was being strangled to death (creatively) by the powers that be. So he refused to let his name be associated with the product. Hence, the guy that used to be called Prince, is now just a pawn of the industry.

>>Issues with labels is why you see things like a greatest hits album being put out, or every member does a solo album, it fulfills the remaining obligations so you can go seek a new deal. Bankruptcy is also a possibility for many, as it deems contracts as null and void.

And just to toss this out there, I think Taylor Swift is going through this right now. Her singing is lip-sync'd. Her shows have become gigantic circuses. Put a meat dress on her and you'd think it was Lady Gaga.

Comment

My thoughts on Prince...

I don't believe the outpouring over him.
        I had no idea, other than mid-80's pop, that he was that big of a deal to "regular folk". I really thought that he tried making 'art' and people abandoned him, they wanted more Purple Rain instead of weird Tibetan chants over ambient synth tones.
        I was also thinking that maybe because the children of the Purple Rain era were now in the 20-year reflective age, that the media was falsely reporting his importance because that is what a 45 year old program director said to say.

Who knew

Comment

Here is the strange thing piano guy people in the industry who have a few years on me were way more upset of prince than Bowie. I was the opposite and I am more prince generation than them. It's really strange.

The outpouring over ke my was way more suspect though. No one knew Motörhead songs outside a certain circle. Prince definitely transcended more than one pool of people.

I also think part of princes drop off was part of his becoming a Jehovah's Witness. It changed a lot for him to be sure.
          I keep the bible in a pool of blood
          So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

For years we have talked about doing a "dead guy" set or medley of songs by the recently departed. This past year has finally made this worth a try:
            Scott Weiland
            David Bowie
            Lemmy
            Merle Haggard
            Earth Wind and Fire guy
            Prince

Comment

Originally posted by catzodellamarina View Post
              For years we have talked about doing a "dead guy" set or medley of songs by the recently departed. This past year has finally made this worth a try:
              Scott Weiland
              David Bowie
              Lemmy
              Merle Haggard
              Earth Wind and Fire guy
              Prince
              It's a damn good set!

Comment

Hmmmm, an autopsy ordered for a musical artist but NOT for a Supreme Court Judge that mysteriously dies in a bed and is found with a pillow over his head the next morning. This country is so screwed up.

Comment

Originally posted by lepard View Post
                  Hmmmm, an autopsy ordered for a musical artist but NOT for a Supreme Court Judge that mysteriously dies in a bed and is found with a pillow over his head the next morning. This country is so screwed up.
                  Well, if large amounts of prescription drugs are not found in an entertainer's system, it isn't a death by natural causes and foul play may be involved

Whereas a Supreme Judge accidentally choking on his pillow is an everyday occurrence
                  "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Just saw on DrudgeReport: Had not slept for 154 HOURS before his death...

Comment

Originally posted by Nimitz View Post
                      I guess I am in the minority when it comes to Prince's guitar chops. I have seen this video and the aweful solo in My Guitar Gently Weeps and most of his other live solos. His note selection is hit and miss. Good note. Bad note. Good bend, bad bend. Good smooth vibrato, horrible vibrato. Nothing remotely melodic, creative or inspiring. He can't put a run together that is more than 4 notes followed by him sliding his fret hand down the neck and doing some kind of dance move or theatrical gesture. Obviously.. Prince is a great song writer, producer, all around musician (I heard he can play every instrument), actor, artist, dancer etc... but what he isn't... is a great guitar player. He is a great musician that happens to play guitar. Not a great guitar player. Again.. I guess I am in the minority. I had an argument with a guy who was convinced that Prince is one of the greatest guitarists that has ever lived. One guy actually called his solo in My Guitar Gently Weeps SHREDDING!!! One said he was the reincarnation of Jimmy Hendrix! Sorry boys and girls. RIP Prince. I did think Shiela E was HOT though and those 2 girls that were in his band in Purple Rain. That was a cool movie. Still... I won't be buying any Prince Instructional guitar video's in the near future.

Comment

I agree. He can play rhythm guitar fairly well. As a lead player, he's not very good. His vibrato is right up there with Kirk Hammett's.

He can play a million instruments, write songs, sustain a career, etc.

He can perform while playing guitar, which most rock guitarists can't do. He's very theatrical.

Comment

Originally posted by Venomboy View Post
                          His vibrato is right up there with Kirk Hammett's.
                          hey, let's not be cruel.

I think he was a really good funk rhythm guitarist. He has better blues/rock chops than a lot of guys who dedicate themselves to that style. His ability as a guitarist is grossly overstated by music fans. But then, same for Santana, Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Cobain, Frusciante, anyone who has had large commercial success.

I was never a huge Prince fan but always appreciated his contribution & legacy. His overall musicality can't be denied. His music had a massive reach and always with a crack band performing the music for real. He always seemed to keep the audience front of mind too, which I dig regardless of genre.
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

sigpic
                            Action Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                              hey, let's not be cruel.

I think he was a really good funk rhythm guitarist. He has better blues/rock chops than a lot of guys who dedicate themselves to that style. His ability as a guitarist is grossly overstated by music fans. But then, same for Santana, Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Cobain, Frusciante, anyone who has had large commercial success.

I was never a huge Prince fan but always appreciated his contribution & legacy. His overall musicality can't be denied. His music had a massive reach and always with a crack band performing the music for real. He always seemed to keep the audience front of mind too, which I dig regardless of genre.
                              No one ever claimed Cobain was a good guitarist! I love Frusciante but no one ever claimed he was good either. He is actually the chili peppers worst guitarist.

Yeah the whole list is overrated. Some way more than others though. Page almost gets shit on too much these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuo View Post
                                That was a contract dispute with the record company. It was pretty foolish at the time to me but makes sense in retrospect.
                                It was the standard case of "freely sign contract -- make some millions -- years later decide he's worth more than what the contract's paying him -- pout like child until released from said contract."

Originally posted by lepard View Post

Welcome to the new America. It's NOT the same country it once was. Laws are literally only for the little people while the party does all the horrible things they'd like to claim everyone else is guilty of.

Comment

Working...
                                X