Gun Guys - AR-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Guys - AR-15

With how screwed up the world has become I want additional protection and want to get one before I can't

What is a good, reliable, cost effective AR-15?
    shawnlutz.com

For me, the Colt LE6920 would be my first recommendation, and with the Colt LE6920 OEM-1 and OEM-2 you can really add what options you would want to one.

LE6920 - https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-L...e-p/le6920.htm
    OEM-2 - https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-O...e6920-oem2.htm
    OEM-1 - https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-O...e6920-oem1.htm
    LE6920 - https://grabagun.com/colt-m4-carbine-5-56-16-blk.html

If you can build a lower, or buy an assembled lower then I would also highly recommend a Palmetto State Armory. Stick with their Premium line of complete uppers with an FN barrel. I own a couple of BCM's, PSA's, and an LE6920, and my PSA's have performed as well as my BCM's and Colt. Don't look at the Freedom or PTAC line as they are lower grade, and if you stay with the Premium line you'll get what I consider a quality AR15.

Upper I linked to is out of stock right now, but it's normally $379.99. Earlier in the week it was on sale for $349.99. Lower is $159.99, so for $540.00 before rear sight, magazine, and ammo that's as cheap as you can get for a quality AR. You can get cheaper, but you won't get better quality.

Complete lower - http://palmettostatearmory.com/compl...c-edition.html
    Complete upper - http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-m...ng-handle.html
    Last edited by Razor; 06-15-2016, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info Razor, I appreciate it! I'll probably buy one already built
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

For a first AR-15; go prebuilt. Ignore ANYTHING you read on a forum about accessories and people's opinions.

Get a Colt 6920, 5-10 spare magazines (they're an expendable item and DO wear out over time), a case of ammunition, and pay the tuition for a basic marksmanship class from a reputable instructor. Learn how to shoot the rifle as well as maintain it before even looking at accessories for it.

That will set you back roughly $1,500 altogether and will be the smartest investment you could make as a new AR owner.

Then, register for an account on a decent forum like M4Carbine or Lightfighter and research the technical aspects of the AR-15 to help better understand what changes will be of benefit for you (if any).

Comment

If you can drop the coin upfront:

Colt LE6920
          Aimpoint PRO (optic)
          Blue Force Gear VCAS (sling)

That will do any and everything you need.

This is my primary training rifle. Base is a Colt lower with BCM upper. You don't need any of the other shit until you know you do.

Comment

M4Carbine is a great resource, and one of my favorite websites. I agree with DRM on buying prebuilt LE6920 especially if you've never been around AR's a lot. I hate to call it building as it's more like assembling one, but it is fun to put together an AR to your exact tastes. Also, lube the bolt carrier group up like you would a 70 year old hooker...

Last edited by Razor; 06-15-2016, 02:03 PM.

Comment

At the bare minimum, you should probably get a Colt LE. Any SKU would be fine really.

You can get a whole lot nicer, but you probably shouldn't go any cheaper, IMO.

You can get a bare bones no-worthy-name brand AR for $600ish, but spend a couple hundred more to get at least a consistent quality standard. Not necessarily high quality, but consistent quality.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

FWIW, here's mine. I got probably $3.5k or more into it. It's a kool-aide build popular maybe a decade ago. But that's just because like DRM said, I know what I like, what I need and what I designed it to be suited for.

It's a Colt Match lower with Colt match trigger, LMT gas piston MRP CQB upper, Troy tritium sights, Aimpoint 2moa dot w Magnifier on LaRue mounts, Surefire x300 light, Raptor ambi charging handle with Magpul plastic... grips and stock. Also has a custom spring and heavy buffer, ambi slide release and ambi selector.

BTW, absolutely IN LOVE with the gas piston upper. It weighs, but cleaning is a thing of beauty. And I don't mind weight too much, I had no issues carrying an A2 w M203 full time. I accept that my rifle is a pig and probably similarly weighted.
                Last edited by xenophobe; 06-15-2016, 06:36 PM.

Comment

LaRue and Aimpoint give me a war boner.

Comment

This thread
                    \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

I'm glad I stocked up(like insane crazy) on AR-15s, AKs, magazines and ammo during the last scare. As for AR's, if you're on a budget and can get a Bushmaster or DPMS on the cheap, go for it. If you can afford to spend a little more, absolutely agree with everyone here, Colt LE6920.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson8090s View Post
                        This thread
                        It can get better...

Comment

My dad gave me a 6" H&R Model #666 for 16th birthday! .22 and .22mag.

Still looks like new. Hey, .22 is one lethal fucker!! I seen all caliber wounds..made some too. Most 22 gunshot wounds are DOA and not the Van Halen song.

Got a S&W 500 and 12 gauge..I'm good.
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Thank you for all the replies. Looks like the LE6920 already built will be the way to go and take it from there. You guys have some awesome arsenals and would love to be neighbors

Funny my wife is on board with all of this, son as well, he's getting his CPL which I still haven't gotten. My wife is paranoid the shit is going to hit the fan and even looking at bug out kits. I told her I don't want to bugout if I don't have to. I want to stay put, fortify, build a weapons/food cache and be ready for anything. Its better to be prepared and not have to use it. It is kind of sad that a 9mm. .45, 12gauge ans 30-30 are not enough hahaha. We're talking about moving to the country and out of subdivision as too many people are not prepared and will reek havoc...out in the country...there are not 1000's of people so less risk of having an issue.
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by DRM View Post
                              LaRue and Aimpoint give me a war boner.
                              That's sig worthy. lol

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                              Thank you for all the replies. Looks like the LE6920 already built will be the way to go and take it from there. You guys have some awesome arsenals and would love to be neighbors
                              You do have a lot of options though. Think of an AR like a Lego kit for adults.

Yeah, it would be cool if we were all neighbors... imagine Guitar and Gun BBQ Picnic Range Days. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X