Gun Guys - AR-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
    Yeah, it would be cool if we were all neighbors... imagine Guitar and Gun BBQ Picnic Range Days. lol
    No shit, that would be good times indeed!

Comment

Learn how to navigate cross country with a map and compass. Join an orienteering club or take a class if one's available to you locally.

Take boxing lessons. 100% of fights will start on your feet and a gun is very rarely going to be the answer. I've thrown more jabs in what started as a gunfight than I have shot someone after closing the distance.

Learn emergency first aid basics. Control hemmorhage, establish a patent airway, splint a fracture, and immobilize a sprain. Build up a boo-boo (meds and band aids) and a bleeder kit (gauze, dressings, tourniquets).

Learn basic survival skills. How to make an improvised shelter, gather and purify water, snare small game, grow vegetables...also, keep a topographic map of your area and mark sources of fresh water and their proximity to you. You'll require roughly 1 gallon of water per adult per day if you're outside and stationary. Depending on your terrain and pace, plan on 3 liters per 12 miles.

I wouldn't put too much faith in fortifying a defensive position. I want to remain as mobile as possible and keep myself away from anything of tactical value.

I don't mean to insult your intelligence in any way or turn this into a "survival" thread, but I figured it was worth giving my opinion as it's slightly on topic.

Comment

Originally posted by DRM View Post
        Learn how to navigate cross country with a map and compass. Join an orienteering club or take a class if one's available to you locally.

Take boxing lessons. 100% of fights will start on your feet and a gun is very rarely going to be the answer. I've thrown more jabs in what started as a gunfight than I have shot someone after closing the distance.

Learn emergency first aid basics. Control hemmorhage, establish a patent airway, splint a fracture, and immobilize a sprain. Build up a boo-boo (meds and band aids) and a bleeder kit (gauze, dressings, tourniquets).

Learn basic survival skills. How to make an improvised shelter, gather and purify water, snare small game, grow vegetables...also, keep a topographic map of your area and mark sources of fresh water and their proximity to you. You'll require roughly 1 gallon of water per adult per day if you're outside and stationary. Depending on your terrain and pace, plan on 3 liters per 12 miles.

I wouldn't put too much faith in fortifying a defensive position. I want to remain as mobile as possible and keep myself away from anything of tactical value.

I don't mean to insult your intelligence in any way or turn this into a "survival" thread, but I figured it was worth giving my opinion as it's slightly on topic.
        So when are you going to go kick ass on that TV Show Naked and Afraid ??? You'd be perfect for it.

Comment

No one wants to see me naked.

Comment

Always make sure to keep a .38cal + for yourself. Better to die by your hand, than the hands of others.

Bill Z Bub
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by DRM View Post

I know boxing and self defense and can do well hand to hand situations. Hell I actually prefer that over weapons. When everyone has a gun they think they are all equal. You get an ass kicking you live, shot multiple times probably not. I pretty much got everything down sans the medical stuff but have first aid kits and whatnot. I could survive off the grid, hunt, fish, and comfortable in the woods and know general survival. I grew up in woods behind my home in Michigan and hunt and fished all over the state.

I appreciate advise and I don't see it as insulting my intelligence at all, my reasoning for fortifying and staying put as long as possible...its not just me I need to worry about. I'm mobile as fuck, decent strength and endurance...my family not some much hahah
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Right on, brother. You're MANY steps ahead of the curve.

Comment

Yes Dave. I'm waaaaaaay ahead of the curve of the curve.

Yeah..stay in shape. I can remove an eye faster than you can say WTF?!! Lots of practice!!! Self defense ain't shit. Fighting..lots and lots of trial and error in actual fighting. Sparing with a buddy isn't fighting...major difference.

I didn't learn a damn thing in the Police academy. NOTHING that is taught applies, or works in reality. Something EVERYONE finds out the second they try it.

I mean your never going to teach a passive / typical person to fight. I tried to teach everyone I know, love and whatever..but they freeze like a deer in the headlights. Even if they have a weapon. Girls wear weaopns all the time..spiked heels, hair pins, nails, keys..ect. Screaming..a Scream is the best I can hope for.

I lived in Cleveland all my life..so I'm 100% urban. I been on a farm once. A cornfield I think when I had to pee..I gotta mosquito bite. I wouldn't need a AR-15 in the sticks..just a fly swater and a can of Off.
                  Last edited by horns666; 06-17-2016, 10:16 PM.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

...and what ever you do NEVER pee on dead terrorists...around cameras.

Comment

AR's are nice and I wouldn't mind having one. But I have to say that I've thoroughly enjoyed my SKS. I bought it bone stock in 2013 during the height of the Sandy Hook gun control scare when used AR's were going for $1500.00+ if you could find one, and the ammo was even more scarce. I've since "accessorized" it with a Tapco Tactical stock and some 30-round mags. 7.62x39 not only packs a bigger wallop than .556, but it's easier to find and cheaper. I have several hundred rounds across it without a single hiccup. The bayonet might come in handy for close-quarters duty.

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

A bayonet is mostly worthless.
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Now, hold on...

Bayonets are great for opening MRE cases and cutting C wire with the sheath.

I fixed a bayonet precisely three times in my career outside of Basic. Every single time was for a ceremony. I never even took one on any of my deployments or saw anyone else ever have one, either. But I DID carry a Strider SA-L on my plate carrier and a lot of guys carried stuff like the Benchmade SOCP dagger and such in case we ever needed to go hands on.

I know a guy with a legitimate tomahawk kill. He carried that fucking thing for years and went out of his way to make sure he always had it. Paid off in the end, and I'm a little jealous of him truth be told.

Comment

HAHAHAHA... omg that's hilarious. I always wanted a combat tomahawk... there are some really amazing high end fighting tomahawks out there too. Paid off in the end. lol. I wonder how many times he thought about leaving it because you know it had to be a really annoying inconvenience at times.

We didn't have fancy fighting knives. I think the Gerber MKII I had to get signed off on was about as fancy as anyone wanted to take into the field back in the day.

One of my Drill Sgts said the only reason we're carrying a bayonet is so that our rifle can mark our graves, so don't die... or something like that.
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Come on, guys. Of course the bayonet is basically useless, but you have to admit it looks cool.

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                                HAHAHAHA... omg that's hilarious. I always wanted a combat tomahawk... there are some really amazing high end fighting tomahawks out there too. Paid off in the end. lol. I wonder how many times he thought about leaving it because you know it had to be a really annoying inconvenience
                                He always had it either mounted on the small of his back or side of an assault pack. I never saw him without it...even training stateside. One time, he told our interpreter he carried it to "scalp some fuckin' Jawas...like Jesus says to". This came after I convinced the terp that the training pieces we used to simulate various injuries were body parts I had cut off of people and kept as trophies.

That terp vehemently refused to work with us anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X