No announcement yet.

Gun Guys - AR-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm much more of a handgun guy , so I don't know much about AR-15's (I've shot plenty but I couldn't tell you what the make was on any of them)
    one of my local Shops has been blowing these out for around $800.00. the 22lr versions are $369.00
    I love the M&P semi handguns are these any good? When I was in last week buying up 9mm these were flying out of the store.

Last edited by kmanick; 06-19-2016, 06:56 PM.
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

For Shawn, let me also suggest picking up an AK-47. If the SHTF and I was in any kind of non-long range situation and I had an AK-47 sitting next to the AR-15, I pick up the AK-47. AK's are cheaper, in a word "dumber" which is a good thing, ridiculously reliable and hit harder than an AR-15. They aren't picky about being clean and are stupid easy to take apart and toss back together.

Comment

Originally posted by DRM View Post
        He always had it either mounted on the small of his back or side of an assault pack. I never saw him without it...even training stateside. One time, he told our interpreter he carried it to "scalp some fuckin' Jawas...like Jesus says to". This came after I convinced the terp that the training pieces we used to simulate various injuries were body parts I had cut off of people and kept as trophies.

That terp vehemently refused to work with us anymore.
        Abusing the locals? LOL

Live fire course with tomahawk intervals. DO IT!

Originally posted by kmanick View Post
        I'm much more of a handgun guy , so I don't know much about AR-15's (I've shot plenty but I couldn't tell you what the make was on any of them)
        one of my local Shops has been blowing these out for around $800.00. the 22lr versions are $369.00
        I love the M&P semi handguns are these any good? When I was in last week buying up 9mm these were flying out of the store.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y
        I owned one of the first S&W M&P-15T's to leave their factory. So I don't know anything about their more recent offerings, but the AR I had was excellent. I'd rather have a Colt or fancy brand, but it didn't have any QC issues other than the bolt carrier key wasn't staked properly and the castle nut wasn't staked at all. Easy fix though.

Originally posted by lepard View Post
        For Shawn, let me also suggest picking up an AK-47. If the SHTF and I was in any kind of non-long range situation and I had an AK-47 sitting next to the AR-15, I pick up the AK-47. AK's are cheaper, in a word "dumber" which is a good thing, ridiculously reliable and hit harder than an AR-15. They aren't picky about being clean and are stupid easy to take apart and toss back together.
        I love my AKs but yeah, I'll never pick one up in an emergency unless I have no other choice. In all fairness, I probably wouldn't grab my AR in the urban area I'm in right now. My Walther or KSG are my go-to where I'm at right now.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by DRM View Post

No one wants to see me naked.
          No, but that's why it's called "Naked and Afraid
          They didn't mention who were the afraid ones
          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by kmanick View Post

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y
            Any AR-15 by a good manufacturer is better than no AR-15. I'd recommend a Colt LE6920 over the M&P-15, but if you can catch one on sale for a good solid price then I couldn't give you any huge reason to not own one as long as it's 2 or 300 less than the LE6920.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
              Any AR-15 by a good manufacturer is better than no AR-15. I'd recommend a Colt LE6920 over the M&P-15, but if you can catch one on sale for a good solid price then I couldn't give you any huge reason to not own one as long as it's 2 or 300 less than the LE6920.
              The S&W is on par with RRA, CMT, Stag... etc. I wouldn't refuse one if you gave it to me. lol I'd rather have a Colt or LMT or BCM... and you can pretty much guarantee KAC, LWRC or other any number of other boutique builds are worth the money if you want to spend it.

Comment

Little late to the party, but, here is my 2 cents:

It almost makes no difference what brand you go with as long as it is reputable regarding off the shelf rifles. In my field of work, I know exactly who makes parts for who. Who does actual machining and who doesn't. I know the companies whose names you never see anywhere regarding the build of the gun. In today's gun business, with all the CNC machining......and most of the parts being made by one of two or three companies to begin with.....it is hard to find a bad AR.-Lou
                " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Originally posted by LouSiffer View Post
                  Little late to the party, but, here is my 2 cents:

It almost makes no difference what brand you go with as long as it is reputable regarding off the shelf rifles. In my field of work, I know exactly who makes parts for who. Who does actual machining and who doesn't. I know the companies whose names you never see anywhere regarding the build of the gun. In today's gun business, with all the CNC machining......and most of the parts being made by one of two or three companies to begin with.....it is hard to find a bad AR.-Lou
                  Not anymore dude. You used to be able to keep track of Lowers and Uppers, but a lot of the LPK component parts were sourced from so many different companies... CMT, LMT and LAR used to be the main manufacture most of the upper and lower parts from forgings from two or three different companies... In the last 10 years the AR industry has exploded and there are so many small companies producing their own parts now that it would be impossible to keep track.

This is a list I was keeping track of until I gave up in 2007 because so many small manufacturers popped up that it was impossible to keep track of it all.

You can read the full post and pictures I posted on Arfcom a decade ago:
                  Firearm Discussion and Resources from AR-15, AK-47, Handguns and more! Buy, Sell, and Trade your Firearms and Gear.

Here's an excerpt:

Not all inclusive, and a few brands have had more than one manufacturer cut their receivers. Many companies receive CMT and LMT cuts in the white and finish them themselves. I have not seen a LAR or MMS cut that was finished by a third party company.

LMT = LMT, Lauer(old), DS Arms, PWA, Eagle, Knights Armament, Barrett, Bushmaster (?)
                  CMT = Stag, RRA, High Standard, Noveske (old), Century (current), Global Tactical, CLE, S&W, MGI (1st batch), Wilson Tactical, (some?) Colt, Ratworx
                  LAR = Grizzly, Bushmaster (L Prefix), Ameetech, (?)DPMS, CMMG, Double Star, Fulton, Spike's Tactical, Noveske (new)
                  MMS = Mega, Gunsmoke, Dalphon, POF (forged), Alexander Arms, Stinger, Spike's Tactical(old)
                  JVP = Double Star, LRB
                  Olympic = Olypmic, SGW, Tromix, Palmetto, Dalphon, Frankford, (old) Century
                  Superior = Superior Arms, Lauer (current)
                  Grenadier Precision
                  Sabre Defence (?)

There are also a number of custom cut billet lower receivers:

MGI multi-caliber
                  COBB multi-caliber

JP CTR-02
                  SOCOM Diamond (out of business?)
                  Sun Devil
                  POF - 415/416 Gen 1 (no trigger guard), Gen 2 (integral winter guard), Gen 3(integral guard + ambi bolt release)
                  Smith & Wesspon M&P-15PC Performance Center Model

7.62x51 receivers
                  POF - P-308 Gen 1 (winter trigger guard + ambi bolt release)
                  DPMS Panther LR-308
                  Fulton FAR-308 (made by DMPS)
                  Hesse HAR-10 (bleh... really crappy machining)

Wishful thinking:
                  Oberland Arms / HK 416/417 (billet)
                  Magpul (soon I hope)
                  LaRue (people have been asking.... lol)
                  Vltor (you never know...)
                  LMT (very wishful thinking...)

Not sure if RRA .308 vaporware will be forged or billet.

Comment

Ok.-Lou
                    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

I just plain gave up. I'd just say, for quality assurance, buy a complete rifle or source individual parts with either a major manufacturer or with a company you intimately trust. Just buying "generic upper" from "some company" is something you should avoid if you can afford it.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                        I just plain gave up. I'd just say, for quality assurance, buy a complete rifle or source individual parts with either a major manufacturer or with a company you intimately trust. Just buying "generic upper" from "some company" is something you should avoid if you can afford it.
                        That was my point Xeno.....I am referring to buying off the shelf factory rifles. I prefer to assemble mine, but, this is not for the novice just getting into it. It is hard to find a bad factory built AR off the shelf. Not saying they are all great, but, it is hard to find a bad one.-Lou

Comment

Like said earlier A Colt of some kind because it will hold its value.
                          Once you get to know the rifle platform and get proficient in its use and maintenance build one of your own.
                          I have several AR's that are set up for different uses
                          I have a few just for blasting away and use as rentals at machine gun shoots, a run and gun AR for training.
                          One for long range and waiting for my paper work to come back from the ATF for my short barreled AR.

Not sure why I can't post pics directly from my PC anymore.

Last edited by straycat; 08-22-2016, 11:34 PM.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                          X