Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid question: portable generator with electric motor instead of gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid question: portable generator with electric motor instead of gas?

Looking into a small, portable generator (maybe 1000 Watts output, if that) that does not use an internal combustion engine.

Unicorn or not?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

It's a unicorn unless you want to be pedaling something all the time to generate the power. Something has to power the generator: be it human, gas, steam, water, wind, gas, propane, natural gas, etc...

Comment

What about batteries that power an electric motor ala Tesla (the car company) which in turn recharges the batteries and provides useable AC power?
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

It's called Solar and it's not really portable.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
          What about batteries that power an electric motor ala Tesla (the car company) which in turn recharges the batteries and provides useable AC power?
          What are you gonna use to power the electric motor?

It would take you more electricity to power a motor to charge a battery than it would to just use that electricity to power a battery.

You can get a bank of batteries and an inverter to covert it from 6, 12, 24, 48v to 110v.

To recharge those batteries you'd need to connect it to a battery charger. A battery charger can run off solar, grid power or a gas generator. Or even a steam, water or wind turbine.
          Last edited by xenophobe; 08-01-2016, 11:51 PM.

Comment

So once again, I'm thinking mankind has advanced farther than he really has. :P

Comment

Ok then, what's a good gas-powered generator that is also quiet. I need power in a small outdoor space that isn't a noise or pollution problem. The source cannot be more than 10 feet from me.

Or has anyone made small solar panels that are worth a fuck yet?

Comment

Honda makes really good and quiet gas generators. They're pricey, but damn good.

Comment

I'd say you could build a hydrogen fuel cell, but I have no idea bout the cost or what you'd have to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                    So once again, I'm thinking mankind has advanced farther than he really has. :P
                    Mankind has advanced that far, what you seek is called an inverter. 12 VDC to 120 VAC Check it out.

Comment

Hmm. Interesting, but not an electric motor generator that recharges itself. That's what I meant by not advancing as far as I'd thought.

You put in a charged battery (car, marine, etc), and it runs the motor which provides power and recharges the battery. Yes, it means somewhere along the line someone isn't getting rich. Boo fucking hoo.

Comment

If we could build that, we'd no longer have any use for oil-based fuel.
                        Bring on the super conductors and heat free motors!

Comment

I disagree with that. Certainly over decades as motors and batteries and the power circuits became more efficient, but I don't see Boeing changing over to electric planes, nor Peterbilt replacing diesel engines overnight. Then you've got cargo ships and freight trains which are not going away.

As well, you're not going to get a gas monkey to give up his hot rod that makes excessive noise, so the threat to gas engines in the largest consumer markets - automobiles - is nil. Gas-powered portable generators could vanish from the world today and the petroleum industry wouldn't notice.

However, what's also always missing from the pro-oil argument is the common sense fact that plastics, which will be in even higher demand, are made from petroleum for much less expense and effort than to refine it into gasoline.

Comment

Originally posted by etepbbb View Post
                            Mankind has advanced that far, what you seek is called an inverter. 12 VDC to 120 VAC Check it out.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sunforce-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
                            An inverter does not provide power though. All it does is convert voltages like I mentioned in my previous post.

Comment

Lol. If you could build an electric motor that can recharge its own fuel cell while running indefinitely, you'll have your fortune made. You would literally see Boeing screaming "STFU AND TAKE MY MONEY".

Comment

Working...
                              X