Why are all the guitar boards dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are all the guitar boards dead?

I've noticed this over the last year or so. It's this one, Jemsite, Harmony Central, and a few others.

Is it the economy? The general mood of the public? Are guitars less popular now (which I find hard to believe)?

Any ideas?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Facebook kills forums for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by DRM View Post
      Facebook kills forums for the most part.
      That might be the case, but it makes no sense to me. Facebook can't touch a forum for real communication. Only the owner of a Facebook page can start a topic for discussion.

Comment

I agree with both of you.

I kinda' like the anonymity here.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
          Only the owner of a Facebook page can start a topic for discussion.
          Not sure what you mean by this. Anyone can start a topic in the Facebook groups, just like on a forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
            Not sure what you mean by this. Anyone can start a topic in the Facebook groups, just like on a forum.
            Ah. I guess that shows my ignorance about Facebook.

Still, I greatly prefer the layout of a forum.

Comment

So do I. Facebook gets a bit chaotic. And its wide reach means that everybody and their mother joins the groups, which leads to a lot of misinformation when people jockey to be the first to respond to a new topic, regardless of whether or not they are conveying accurate information. It's speed and bragging rights over quality. They don't take the time to compose informative responses like they might on a forum.

I feel like much of this is related to the proliferation of mobile technology and how it's making people lazier. I admit it takes more effort to compose comprehensive replies with lots of information, links, and photos when you're replying to Facebook topics on your cellphone or tablet instead of a laptop or desktop computer. I still prefer a full-sized keyboard which makes it much easier to weave everything together.

Comment

Another thing is when a new guy comes here looking for info and members with thousands of posts and years of membership give them info they feel kinda' secure in the credibility.

On facebook everyone is a nobody to those who aren't regulars on those pages. The most knowledgeable guys wind up arguing with the least knowledgeable guys and the truth can get lost.
                96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                  Another thing is when a new guy comes here looking for info and members with thousands of posts and years of membership give them info they feel kinda' secure in the credibility.

On facebook everyone is a nobody to those who aren't regulars on those pages. The most knowledgeable guys wind up arguing with the least knowledgeable guys and the truth can get lost.
                  Great points. This might further demonstrate my Facebook ignorance, but I also don't see where there's a way to search within a given user or company's Facebook page.

I just greatly prefer the layout of forums over Facebook. We have sub-forums broken down into different topics, stickied items, and so on. Facebook generally seems to be a hodgepodge of information being thrown at you with no organization.

Another annoying thing is when I search for a business and their only Web presence is a Facebook page.

Comment

Face book is more convenient sometimes but you get a shit load of bogus info from people that really don't know anything.
                    I step in and straighten out bad info when I can.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                      Great points. This might further demonstrate my Facebook ignorance, but I also don't see where there's a way to search within a given user or company's Facebook page.
                      You're right about this one. No post history is attributed to, or searchable by, any user. Everyone is forced to either remember for themselves who the experts are, or just treat every responder with a grain of salt, because it's lawless like the wild west on Facebook.

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                      Face book is more convenient sometimes but you get a shit load of bogus info from people that really don't know anything.
                      I step in and straighten out bad info when I can.
                      It's a losing battle sometimes, like trying to shovel snow in a blizzard. There is no winning against the idiocracy who proclaim "THAT IS A PRE-FENDER USA CHARVETTE, MADE OF MAHOGANY, AT THE FORT WORTH FACTORY IN ONTARIO, CANADA IN 1982!"

Alternative facts, prevalent on Facebook guitar groups.

Some groups are so fanatical about the guitar brand/model to which they're dedicated that they'll tell you to basically buy anything at any price. As someone who bargain-hunts, I feel like these guys are inflating the market.

"Hi everyone, I found a total piece of crap for $800, is it worth buying?"

"OMG BUY IT NOW, KILLER DEAL"

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 02-13-2017, 09:13 AM.

Comment

This forum has actually had a slight increase in traffic compared to years past, IMO. I'm not quite sure why, but it's ok with me.
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I joined in 2002 and this place was rocking back then. We would have several new threads in most of the sub-forums every day.

And yeah, I personally dislike Facebook. The only reason I even have an account is so I can view my son's page and a few others.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                            It's a losing battle sometimes, like trying to shovel snow in a blizzard. There is no winning against the idiocracy who proclaim "THAT IS A PRE-FENDER USA CHARVETTE, MADE OF MAHOGANY, AT THE FORT WORTH FACTORY IN ONTARIO, CANADA IN 1982!"

Alternative facts, prevalent on Facebook guitar groups.

Some groups are so fanatical about the guitar brand/model to which they're dedicated that they'll tell you to basically buy anything at any price. As someone who bargain-hunts, I feel like these guys are inflating the market.

"Hi everyone, I found a total piece of crap for $800, is it worth buying?"

"OMG BUY IT NOW, KILLER DEAL"

Yeah. It gets pretty deep. The "Pre-Fender" one is what really irritates me. I've screamed from the mountain top for years now that Jackson is generally BETTER under Fender than they were under Akai, yet the morons still keep trying it.

I also see a lot of the Model series being promoted as "Made in USA" because they have the Fort Worth neck plate.

Comment

This Forum is not as dead as some of the others. You should see the Dean Forum, completely worthless, dead and buried. But yeah, I agree, it's Facebook and the lack of disposable income for millennials in this economy. I have had to completely revamp my business in the last 5 years and now gear towards older people with money instead of the 18-30 crowd.

Comment

Working...
                              X