Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Seymour Duncan Forum is still very active

Comment

Doesn't help that playing an instrument isn't as popular as it was in our youth, either. And even of those kids that do pick up music, they often gravitate towards synth, as there isn't an manual skill to learn, and it dovetails with what's popular now - hip-hop and synthy pop crap. Sad to say, but rock and roll is just in a downward spiral. Hopefully the pendulum swings back someday, but probably not with this generation. Kind of like the situation with dsco in the 70s, I guess.

Comment

I will say this about guitar playing kids today:

The ease of access to world-class instruction via YouTube and other streaming sources has them playing at a high level of technical ability with a nearly limitless amount of inspiration just a few keystrokes away.

But sadly, most kids today are less social than when I was their age, and tend to spend more of their time playing at home rather than in a band. Same with college age musicians...INCREDIBLY talented, and their outlet is YouTube. So we "see" them have an online presence, but they're less active in their local music scene because...why? Ad revenue pays more than a bar gig.

I don't think guitar playing is dead. Every time I pop in to Sam Ash for strings, I see groups of kids jamming away. I think it's just a different vessel they use to get their music out than what we're used to.

Comment

Originally posted by DRM View Post
          I will say this about guitar playing kids today:

The ease of access to world-class instruction via YouTube and other streaming sources has them playing at a high level of technical ability with a nearly limitless amount of inspiration just a few keystrokes away.

But sadly, most kids today are less social than when I was their age, and tend to spend more of their time playing at home rather than in a band. Same with college age musicians...INCREDIBLY talented, and their outlet is YouTube. So we "see" them have an online presence, but they're less active in their local music scene because...why? Ad revenue pays more than a bar gig.

I don't think guitar playing is dead. Every time I pop in to Sam Ash for strings, I see groups of kids jamming away. I think it's just a different vessel they use to get their music out than what we're used to.
          i used to sit for hours with the record player on the slowest speed at 17 down from 33 and picking apart the early van halen solos, playing them over and over again slowly while hitting the notes until they were burned into my brain for ever. took alot of time and effort. i used to think i was a genius for doing that, now id be a total retard in this day and age.
          i had a great ear in my day, one of my biggest assets.
          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I did the same with my dad's Iron Maiden tapes. Rewind and rewind again finding each note.

Now, I could hop on YouTube and watch someone play the solo note for note instead of digging around on the neck finding them.

Same with amps/recording interfaces. Guys can buy an Axe Fx and have a pro level rig at home and make studio quality recordings with them. It's amazing how far tech has come.

Comment

So to summarize:

We're getting old
              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Fuck facebook.
                The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Comment

.............and somebody has been on Facebook too long, can't even spell CIVILIZATION.

Comment

That's the British way of spelling "civilization".

Comment

Originally posted by lepard View Post
                        .............and somebody has been on Facebook too long, can't even spell CIVILIZATION.
                        And they probably drive on the wrong side of the road, too.
                        Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Sup?
                          I still read here everyday,,, but don't post too much. I should post a vid or something.....lol

MOSHON
                          DAVE
                          "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

facebook is lame but its also pretty fun sometimes too. i cant totally knock it, ive gotten my noodle wet because of facebook.
                            Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                              facebook is lame but its also pretty fun sometimes too. i cant totally knock it, ive gotten my noodle wet because of facebook.
                              100%
                              96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

strat-talk is very active and friendly but that is not for 100% Jackson players.
                                What Is Paying For Your Passion For Being A Guitarist?

Comment

Working...
                                X