Memorial Day service at my local cemetary today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorial Day service at my local cemetary today

I'm a member of the Sons of Confederate Vetrans and Sons of the American Revolution. Most of the guys in our local SCV camp are in the local SAR chapter too. I went to our SCV chapter's Memorial Day service this morning to support the guys, and thought I would share some pictures. We had a great turnout of people honoring all those who have served. The memorial service was held at a local cemetary that is on the site of the Battle of Pigeon Roost where the Federal Army artillery was placed. The monument there was placed by the SCV chapter I'm a member of, and the plot was donated by the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The memorial is placed at the site of a mass Confederate grave of 10 soldiers.

Another intersting side note for me was that the unit (Co B 23rd Virginia Infantry) my third great grandfather served with fought at that battle. He also had two brothers that were in that unit. Supposedly he signed up in 1861 and served until 1865. So learing that he could have been there was sobering for me.

I'd like to take a moment and thank everyone who is serving, or has served to protect our nation. I appreciate your service.

Working...
X