Lest We Forget: D-Day 73 Years Ago Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lest We Forget: D-Day 73 Years Ago Today

This article below ran this past weekend, and it's sobering to me how few of the "greatest generation" are left.

Both of my grandfathers (one in the Army in Europe and the other in the Navy in the Pacific) served during World War 2, and they're two of the best people I ever known. Each day we're left with fewer and fewer of them. I hope their service and memory lives on in future generations, but based on what I see from a lot of people I don't have much hope. I do hope I'm wrong about that.

I'd like to say thank you to all our service men and women for all they do, and have done for us. It takes a hell of a person to take the step like those men did 73 years ago, and are doing still today.

great post Razely. my dad was a Lieutenant in WWII. If alive he'd be 103. these were ballsy motherfuckers. imagine if you were lucky enough just to make it to the sand, and then even luckier if able to take a few steps more to try and get cover without being taken out. drop jawed for life over these guys
    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Now 74 years ago.

I inherited my Grandpa's farm at the end of last year, and recently found one of his uniforms and duffel bag in the upstairs attic. My wife bought me a shadowbox and I thought I would share it with you all.

Here's a picture of my sister and I sometime back in the 1970's while visiting him on the farm.

Even though he passed away in 1995 I still miss the hell out of him.

Comment

The greatest generation, indeed. Very cool way to memorialize your grandpa.

Comment

Working...
        X