recording interfaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recording interfaces

I want to start recording my song ideas. I've never recorded before and have been told I need a recording interface. I've also been told that for simplicity sake, I don't even need to mic my amp- that I can go direct from my Kemper to the interface via SPDIF connection. There are three companies that make similar recording interfaces- Behringer, PreSonus and Focusrite. Which is the best bang for the buck? The Focusrite and Presonus look similar and the Behringer is under $100- it looks like a copy of the Focusrite unit. Which am I best off with? I've never recorded before. I'm really looking for ease of use and simplicity. thanks

Honestly for starting out, and if you can, I'd start with the Focusrite. It's good stuff at a decent price. Not sure what price range spdif starts coming in to play, but I imagine it gets introduced pretty quick.

Comment

If you want to record "ideas", a $10 usb guitar cord will do plenty. Hook it up to your phone. Hook it up to the pc.
      Any cheap recording app/program will work, like the built in sound recorders.

Comment

Your Kemper should be an interface in and of itself. You just need to select it's USB outputs as the input device in your DAW.

*Edit : I'm not a Kemper user so it's possible it's USB is only used for control and not audio. That said, I'm pretty sure it does pass audio. I'd think both a clean and processed signal. That way you can re-amp the performance through a different amp than you originally played.
        Last edited by Hellbat; 04-14-2018, 11:47 AM. Reason: clarification
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
          Your Kemper should be an interface in and of itself. You just need to select it's USB outputs as the input device in your DAW.
          I recommend Reaper as DAW
          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

either of the entry level Focusrite or Presonus units will get you started. From what I was just reading on the Kemper forum, just run the main outs of the Kemper to the inputs of the interface. You don't have to use spdif.

And +1 to Reaper. Fully functional trial, with a nag to pay each time you start the program. And if you like it & want to keep it, it's only $70 (IIRC). Of course, if you buy Presonus, it comes bundled with StudioOne which is pretty good too.
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Sorry, just did some digging and learned the Kemper doesn't do audio via USB. That surprised me a bit. Any of the interfaces suggested above will be fine. Or get an Axe-FX and just use the USB audio. :P
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I went ahead and bought a first generation Focusrite 6i6 off Reverb. 2 preamps and spdif connection, so it should be good to start out with. My mac came stock with garage band, so I'll start with that and can always get Reaper if I don't like garage band.

Comment

Working...
                X