Metal vocals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal vocals

Alright, so I've decided I'm never going to find a vocalist for my stuff whom I actually like, so for my own project I've decided to do the vocals myself. I've no experience doing vocals, but I figure everyone has to start somewhere, right? I know alot of it is just "how you are" and you're stuck with what you've got already, but there has to be some sort of technique associated with the stuff. I'm looking to go for something of a Mikeal Akerfeldt/Peter Tagtgren death growl.

So how about it? Any vocalists out there can help me out?

Re: Metal vocals

Monitor yourself while singing, it really helps you to know how to improve your style. Try different ways to make a sound if you can too. Be sure to warm up a little too. Skipping that step will put your voice out of comission in no time. Been there, done that, not doing it again.
    Maybe these examples will help you out:

As for singing Slayer's stuff, it's pretty much just yelling. Nothing complicated about there stuff except it takes ALOT of wind. Again, I monitor myslef to make sure that I'm matching the sound.

Archenemy type: with the technique that I use, it really does not take a lot of wind. You simply use a low growl in the back of your throat. Singing like this is probably the hardest style for me because you must have a very strong jaw and throat. After you start singing a while, your voice my sound like the Disney character Stitch. This is normal, it simply means that your muscles are getting tired in your jaw area and you can't shape the sound like you used to. Just keep practicing and it will go away, but it takes alot of practice. Same goes for Cradle of Filth.

HTH.

Keep rockin! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I found the way I improved my singing was to sing all the time ,In the Bath,shower ,Car , etc etc ... Bit like Guitar practise makes perfect and the more you sing the more stable your voice becomes [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck with it !

Wolf

Comment

I would just experiment with different growls. and record yourself doing them...because...you sound alot different to yourself than you do to other people. We hear ourselves through our inner ear. So I would just record your different methods of doign the death vocals until you like how one sounds...and go from there.

when doing them live...breath support and all that mumbo jumbo will come into play. I would probably do the one that is the loudest and easiest for you..and stick with that.

I'm better at the higher pitched..black metal type screech than the growling...but I'm getting better..through practice in my car...heh. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

good luck dude...growling always feels kinda strange to me..when I do it. kind of insecure I guess...but its just a passing phase. growling is fun as shit.

Comment

Everyone here has given good advice. The only thing I can add is to start simple. Don't start with a 2 hour practice session of growling as loud as you can, cause you'll tear your throat and voice apart.

I've been getting back into death metal singing lately myself. It's lotsa fun! For my music I'm having both a clean, operatic type singer and a death growler, which will likely end up being me.

Comment

I'm having both a clean, operatic type singer and a death growler
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Damn you for stealing my idea! Let me know when you have a recording ready, I'd love to hear it. I'll try to post mine, when ready, if any others are interested too.

Comment

I didn't come up with that idea anyways, it's already been done. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Well I'm still trying to finish this demo as we speak ...my singer actually is a TRUE singer ...meaning he does all The halford stuff , The Chris Cornell stuff

BUT this time I had him to a death Vox for one song ...his very first time ...it came out good ...a little like old At The Gates and Chuck of death ....but he used two tracks in unison ...sometimes harmonized ...I know that sure helps ...used two tracks and then use the better of the two vocal tracks as your primary ...it seems to wash over really well that way...even if you think that one track isn't that strong ..but both together ...they sound great...well it worked for us !!

this is what we need to do in studio that's for sure!!
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Slave Trade already beat y'all to it.

http://slavetrade.665.org/
                  Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Originally posted by horns666:
                    my singer actually is a TRUE singer ...meaning he does all The halford stuff , The Chris Cornell stuff
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I understand where you're coming from, but I try not to look at death metal vocals as being untrue singing. That's why I was thinking about stopping the death growling thing and only doing clean, melodic singing. But the truth is for what I'm hearing in my head, death growls work best (along with some clean singing as well [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ). To me, singing is singing.

My whole idea behind having both clean and death singing is to kinda play the music out as a story. Like Dream Theater Scenes From A Memory kinda stuff. The different voices can be used for different characters and feelings. I'm trying take a lot more songwriting inspiration from movies, books, and video games than by just listening to all my favorite bands.

Comment

Chuck Billy did the singing and growling combo good on Souls of Black, but most of what I've heard sounds like comical attempts at sounding aggressive, or just balls-out screaming like an ignorant child trying to sound tough through volume.

Despite Metallica's recent fiascos, Hetfield's best vocal tone was on Sad But True - shouting with a touch of melody, but it was clear and intelligible - that's the best aggressive vocal tone IMO. You should strive to sound more like an authority figure than grunting/growling in false agression or sounding "Demonic", because the "oooohh I'm all evil and stuff" is getting quite weak, and people respond well to an authoritative voice - whether you're trying to command attention or incite agression, you'll get both from the same crowd.

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

That's a good point.

I'm actually still having second thoughts about the whole growl thing. I'm concerned about the possible long term dangers on my throat and voice. I Haven't started any serious growling yet. I've just been practicing the sound here and there for a couple moments. I might just completely go the clean, melodic singing route. I like melody anyways.

If I do say screw it to the growl thing, I'll still try to have more than one singer. I want different voices, for the said effect. So I'm gonna have to find people who can play and sing at the same time..... and I'm gonna have to learn to sing and play at the same time. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I think that is a good idea, having two singers. Atreyu does that-they have a singer who does the growling, screaming and spoken-word stuff, and the drummer sings more melodic, clean vocals. When they both sing at the same time, it's really cool! I haven't really heard a band really explore that kind of interplay to the fullest though, which is one thing I hope to accomplish with the band I'm gonna try to start-having AIC-like interplay between singers, only one doing clean vocals and the other doing heavier vocals (probably screams).

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja Guitar:
                            That's a good point.

I'm actually still having second thoughts about the whole growl thing. I'm concerned about the possible long term dangers on my throat and voice. I Haven't started any serious growling yet. I've just been practicing the sound here and there for a couple moments. I might just completely go the clean, melodic singing route. I like melody anyways.

If I do say screw it to the growl thing, I'll still try to have more than one singer. I want different voices, for the said effect. So I'm gonna have to find people who can play and sing at the same time..... and I'm gonna have to learn to sing and play at the same time. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">unless you have existing problems with your throat you shouldn't experience any from doing death metal growls. It's just like haucking a loogie up. I've never felt any pains while I do it, but I suppose if you do...you probably shouldn't be growling. But, I myself will think you're a wuss. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey Ninj I was in no way demeaning the death vox genre in any way ...I love that stuff ...I'm the very reason why my singer even did it ...

he never tried it ..but he always loved Chuck of Death's voice and Chuck Billy'
                              s growls...I want to do more of this kind of stuff..

I hope to post my stuff soon ..it's gettin' done..

Thre is good and bad singers in all metal genres ..a lot of horrible death singers ...way too many but there is a lot of great ones too (we know who there are). [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I can't stand "Opera man vocals " of the European power metal thing ...I just picture fucking Opera Man. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

and some of those black metal screetching bastards can kiss my ass ...some are great (we know who there are ) ...but damn some really suck ass (they know who they are)! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X