Metal vocals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Metal vocals

Isn't there a pedal or a rack effect that you can run your mic through that gives the cookie monster vocals? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

yes I believe it was designed by Jim Hensen and Electro Harmonix ..

Crowbar used them I think ...I forgot the name of that device ...it was something you had to insert analy.. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666:

I can't stand "Opera man vocals " of the European power metal thing ...I just picture fucking Opera Man. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah its like watching someone get stabbed in the stomach on TV, you kind of cringe and grab your stomach.. but when you hear Opera man vocals you cringe and grab your balls instead.

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Actually try a vocal harmonizer set to a complimentary tone below your normal melodic vocals, and set way back in the mix - just enough for them to hear "something, but I can't quite place it" [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

We did that on one track in the band I used to have because the singer just didn't have the aggressive voice, and it really gave the song that low Demonic growl he wanted (but you could tell when he went off-key). Also, it works better for slow vocal lines like Alice Cooper's "Dead Babies", but it'd flub like crazy on something like "Freewheel Burning" [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The vocal harmonizer thing is pretty cool. I think Iced Earth used that a bit in Dante's Inferno. Sounds really awesome.

I agree Bill, there are good and bad singers in every genre. Many, many bad death metal vocalists. While I love Nile, I gotta admit their death vox aren't anything to write home about. Dennis, the frontman for Severe Torture, now that's a death metal voice. His growl is so discusting and nasty it's beautiful.

What are these European power metal "Opera man" vocals you guys are talking about? Which bands? Is Rhapsody one of them? Cause if they are, then I think I like "Opera man" vocals. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja Guitar:
              What are these European power metal "Opera man" vocals you guys are talking about? Which bands? Is Rhapsody one of them? Cause if they are, then I think I like "Opera man" vocals. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Helloween?

Listen to I Want Out.
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Hammerfall. Oh boy, those guys give me a laugh!

[img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I just realized I'm a hypocrite. I said I didn't hear any "opera singing" in that Helloween song. I also called the singing for the music I'm writing "opera singing". The music I'm writing has no opera singing, just clean, melodic metal singing.

........ dammit, now I'm gonna be hearing that "hearts on fire , hearts on fire burning burning with desire" all damn day! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                  Isn't there a pedal or a rack effect that you can run your mic through that gives the cookie monster vocals? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's not a rack effect or a pedal but this should do the trick.
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Ninja Guitar:
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Helloween?

Listen to I Want Out.
                    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I listened to it. Didn't here any opera singing [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] , but some pretty good (and high) rock singing. It was just a sample clip of the song, not the whole tune, so I don't know if I missed something. Cool tune, BTW.

I've pretty much decided to drop the death metal singing thing. I love death metal vocals but I can't get rid of that slight irritation in my throat after growling. It doesn't feel right, so I'm not doing it, and it's getting in the way of my other singing. I'm gonna try to find someone else who'd like to sing the death vox for me.

Comment

Opera man ....no it's way worse than Hammerfall , Rhapsody and Helloween...

it's all the sub genre powermetal wannabe shit...a zillion of them like bands like Emerald , Majesty and Dark avenger tpp much too list (but I own them)......some of the music is OK ...but the vocals are hysterical

wait who does that song "hearts on Fire " ...I think that's Hammerfall ....you know that one where he manly sings ..."hearts on fire , hearts on fire burning burning with desire "....now that's a jem [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] he makes that singer from the Darkness look like Dan Swano !!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

and BTW I hate the singer in Dream Evil ...I like the band ...it's him I can't take ! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                      X