Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wal-Mart pushing the limits of Globalization?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wal-Mart pushing the limits of Globalization?

So I'm in Wal-Mart last night and I pass through Electronics where the new HDTVs are, and instead of the same old annoying High-Definition/Digital Natural Wonders demo loop playing on all 5 sets, they've got an East Indian political debate channel/program featuring three Hindudes debating in Hindu - on all 5 sets, and all 5 Volumes are up kinda high [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
    This, IMO, is not a wonderful thing, especially when one of them mentioned "America" and "Bush" - this lead me to believe they were debating the Iraq War, however since I don't speak the language, I can't guarantee it - they could have been talking trash and issuing orders to terrorists for all I know.

I'm also not fond of TV programs being broadcast on any of the major US/English networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, etc), either whole or in part, in a foreign language WITHOUT subtitles.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Wal-Mart pushing the limits of Globalization?

If you think that's bad, you should try finding an AM radio station broadcasting in English anywhere west of the Rockies.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Do you get antsy when you hear Hispanic people speaking in Spanish around you, because you "KNOW" they're talking shit?

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
        Do you get antsy when you hear Hispanic people speaking in Spanish around you, because you "KNOW" they're talking shit?
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes as a matter of fact I do! Now before I make this statement I am perfectly aware I'll probably be slammed for it but: IF YOU WANNA LIVE IN AMERICA THEN LEARN THE LANGUAGE!!! I think it's bulls#$* that there are places in America that Americans can't get jobs because they don't speak spanish or whatever other foreign language. I think that should be a pre-requisite prior to citizenship...An english test! Sorry in advance if I offended anyone but that's just my opinion.

Comment

Amen, brotha Steve.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Well, I don't know what kinds of immigration "melting pot" tests the USA gives to its citizens, but last summer the government required everybody in my household over the age of 18 (so that's myself and my parents, but not my brother who is just 16) to take the Canadian citizenship test, FINALLY after sixteen years of living in this country (we lived in England before), and you'd obviously fail if you don't know how to read English or French. I can't imagine what would happen to those who failed the test because they couldn't interpret the official languages properly... I picture a large ship sailing back East, for some reason! [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

And isn't Spanish now an official language of the USA? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

si [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

NOTP - Part of the problem here is that we have NO official languages. Thus, whenever a group gains enough numbers to make political noise, they can demand services in their own language. For example, in Los Angeles county ballots are printed in: English, Spanish, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese and Korean. My guess is that not 1% of the population of the United States could successfully identify the nation(s) in which Tagalog is spoken.

That said, the fact is that the overwhelming majority of immigrants demand that their children learn English (and often demand that their children be taught ONLY in English) so that they'll have the opportunity to be successful here. But despite the massive successes of such English immersion programs, our government-run schools, in their infinite wisdom, often teach the children in their native languages and bring them along very slowly in English thereby creating a class of persons who will always at least feel like they are outsiders (and who will probably have relatively more difficulty assimilating into US society).
                Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

HERE IS A GOOD READ!!

http://www.restoringamerica.org/arch...ust_adapt.html

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No, because I'm not the racist you want to paint me as whenever I say something about this type of thing. I simply require that any TV broadcasts aired in an American business be entirely in English, since it IS the official language of the USA.
                    Look you can go around welcoming people from all over the world into your own home like they were lifelong friends and all that crap, but that's exactly the kind of "open door policy" that allowed the September 11th attacks to happen. If the bleeding hearts and empty heads would not have been tearing down the HIGHLY EFFECTIVE cultural and racial profiling that we used to have, there's a good chance that those bozos would not have even gotten NEAR an airplane.

Newc
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Here's another interesting read:

http://www.restoringamerica.org/arch...e_stories.html

and another:

http://www.restoringamerica.org/arch...restraint.html

[img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                        English ... IS the official language of the USA.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually we *don't* have an official language. There's been controversy about this for many years (in particular loud cries of "racism" from the left whenever the idea of formally adopting English as our official language is proffered).

Comment

I hate fucking people who speak spanish..
                          I live next to these assholes, fuck them.I want the fucking english languish. I'm blasting COB NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Preach on brothas Steve and Newc [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

The only thing I enjoyed of Wal-Mart was Playboy's "Girls of Wal-Mart" edition!

We're Rolling back on clothing! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by YetAnotherOne:
                              My guess is that not 1% of the population of the United States could successfully identify the nation(s) in which Tagalog is spoken.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Phillipines, but I grew up here in LA (huge Filipino population) and I grew up with many Filipinos as friends - and dated a few Filipinas. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

BTW they are hella cute but freakin' crazy!
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X