Satriani & Vai vs. Laiho & Schuldiner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satriani & Vai vs. Laiho & Schuldiner

There was some arguing and some glam rock guy told me that Laiho and Schuldiner don't have guts to be compared with Vai and Satriani.

And just because V&S play Ibanez, Ibanez is the best guitar in the whole world.

He claims that Vai and Satriani put fellings into their music and ignore Schuldiner and Laiho.

Ok, I cannot convince someone to like Schuldiner like I do, but I just want to make people sure before saying something. I think Schuldiner's music is way too high, comparing to Vai or Satriani.
    Laiho is maybe a bit boring these days, but guy knows what the speed soloing is, for god's sake.

So, what do you say? Are Laiho and Schuldiner small people for you also?

Re: Satriani & Vai vs. Laiho & Schuldiner

"So, what do you say? Are Laiho and Schuldiner small people for you also?"

Yes.
    They aren't fit to smell Vai/Satriani's Shit. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Vai/Satriani... [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

Alexi/Chuck... [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

They play way different things so it's impossible to tell. However I've never been impressed by Laiho as a guitarist. Technically capable, sure, but put in the same sentence with Chuck (innovator of a genre and several decades) or Vai? Pleaeaeaeas. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Comment

Apples :: Oranges
          Occupy JCF

Comment

Sorry to bust all your bubbles but Olaf Lenk , Magnus Carlsson , Roy Z , Romeo , Marty Friedman , Jason Becker , Alex Masi..the late Shawn Lane and ESPECIALLY ULI JON ROTH...would destroy all guitar monsters in this galaxy!!

but Vai and Satch are nearly in that league ..

Chuck (may he rest in piece) and Alexi have much way to go to reach that kind of status..unforturnately for Chuck that's not an option, neither is for Lane and Becker...
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Who cares who is "better" or "worse"...as long as someone's making the music they love and putting all they've got into it, then they can do no wrong in my eyes.

Comment

IMO it is not possible to compare Chuck and Laiho with Vai and whoever else. Two completely different styles of music. Chuck wrote some of the most amazing metal ever, and just because he could not necessarily play as many notes in a given second as Vai, it does not make him any less of a player. Chuck also sang and play, as well as played many of the leads. While Vai can shred the guitar like a mad man, I am going to have to side with Chuck (RIP) on this one. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
                The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

Alexi and CHuck win in the coolness department, imo.

Vai and Satriani win in the....wankery department.

Comment

I see what you guys are comming from

OK there is a major difference in musical styles here

You can not poll two different genres of music and say ...OK who's more talented ..

Let's say that Satch couldn't do what Chuck did and Chuck couldn't do what Satch does ...that fair!

But in my book Uli has did it all and he's the best....IMO!!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

It's like Chicken Pickin' to Sweeping arpeggios to r slappin on the bass to Paganini...the are all an art only percieved the to the greastest greatest by the beholder...

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

IMO it all boils down to music style preference. All these guys are highly skilled people in their own area of playing. Instead of arguing whose the better ones, we should look at the prespective of what these people have done to the industry and influencing people like us. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm a fan of all these guys although Chuck moreso but that's because however you cut it I prefer my music on the super-technical side. I'm not saying the other guys are not but as a guitar player Chuck comes through more to me and that's not to say I don't own everything Satch, Vai and Alexi have played on.

Oh and Horns, I've never considered Roy Z a monster player. He's pretty solid and was good when I saw him out with Halford a few times but I would never class him with Becker, Friedman and the like.
                        I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Yeah I was the one who said Roy Z is a monster !!!

His work with Rob Rock , Halford , and the Dickinson albums confirmed that in my mind...

I a fan of all of the above ...all they players mentioned in this thread kick ass..

as far a technical abilty ..Macalpine , Greg Howe , Vinnie Moore , Gilbert and the like focus on executing great note articulation ...this is a priority to them

Now guys like Kerry King , Dime , Mustaine...well they have their own artform all their own that can't be reproduced by the polished articulate players mentioned above...

so I like they "tude and aggression of guys like Kerry but love the finess of of dudes like Uli..that's why I like dudes like Jeff Loomis ...they marry both styles ..

it's neo classical mayhem!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I love shred ...fuck it!!

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of Laiho,but imo Chuck is the one that put more soul in his music.Also if Vai and Satriani may be better (technically) players Chuck wrote great music and for me he is the best of the 4.It's just a matter of taste though.

Comment

I love all 4 players but every musician has their own style, so i think it's not fair to compare to other players.
                              93 USA Soloist EDS
                              USA HT6 Juggernaut
                              Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Working...
                              X