Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sorry, Red Wings fans...

Originally posted by markpb:
    A Calgay Tampa final wouldn't be a ratings disaster, because hockey is dead in the US anyway.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hmmm...of the 30 teams how many of them are based in Canadian cities? Hockey isn't dead here its just that the US is a sports crazy nation. In addition to the NHL we have NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS, WNBA not to mention the College scene of Football and basketball. In Canada, Hockey doesn't have much competition for a fan base...curling maybe?
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

You forgot La crosse(sp?)..... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Great game!

Dave->
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

A Calgay Tampa final wouldn't be a ratings disaster, because hockey is dead in the US anyway. Last year it ranked lower than bowling in overall ratings share. The network contract expires this year. If there even is a season next year, they are thinking ESPN2 might pick up a few games, and that's it.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I wouldn't say that hockey is dead in the US... Look at some of the bigger hockey towns here... Chicago, Boston, New York, Detroit (consequently 2/3 of the "Original 6"), Philadelphia, St.Louis... Just to name a few. In some areas, hockey is still in its infancy. You have teams like the warm weather teams that wouldn't be there had the great Gretzky trade never happened. I'd say if anything Tampa Bay in the finals would go a long way towards further establishing hockey as one of the great US sports. Just in time for the CBA to crush that progress. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
        Occupy JCF

Comment

I don't mean literally dead, there are some strong franchises. But it is not considered a major sport from a marketing perspective, and no one will touch it as a national product. That is what I mean; a Boston /Detroit final would hardly fare any better in the US ratings wise than San Jose/Calgary. I am questioning your idea that the teams involved would make that much of a difference. It is considered a minor sport in the US in terms of revenue.

Comment

I got you Mark. In terms of television markets it is dead but there is more interest in the sport in the US in the north east, more viewers than say in Tampa Bay. Not a good bargining tool for the NHL when TV rights come up, its a regional sport and its tough to sell nationally.
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Hockey ahs been on the downturn as of late as the contract renewel with ABC spoke of. Terrible ratings. Basketball is in the same straits though it is no different than Hockey really ratings are a little higher but still declining. Hockey got a good resurgance when Gretzky was a round as did Basketball benefit from Magic and Bird and went way over the top when Michael Jordan was the king. The truth though is Hockey and Basket ball are 2nd tier sports behind Football,Baseball and Nascar on the top tier they are ahead of MLS or whatever else you wnat to throw out there though.
              I keep the bible in a pool of blood
              So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I would have said that the NBA was a top tier sport in the US, but I don't follow it that much. That was just my impression for some reason.

Comment

I don't mean literally dead, there are some strong franchises. But it is not considered a major sport from a marketing perspective, and no one will touch it as a national product. That is what I mean; a Boston /Detroit final would hardly fare any better in the US ratings wise than San Jose/Calgary. I am questioning your idea that the teams involved would make that much of a difference. It is considered a minor sport in the US in terms of revenue.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think hockey in Tampa Bay and Florida in general would get a boost if Tampa Bay were to enter the finals. How can you ignore the buzz from the local press when one of the most prestigous of all sports trophies is being battled out in your town? This is more or less what happened with the Florida Panthers (infantile franchise, I believe their second season) when they made it to the finals in 1996 when they were battling the Colorado Avalance. (formerly the Quebec Nordiques, freshly transplanted although Denver already had a hockey team previously... The Colorado Rockies)
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

I think Tampa Bay represents all that is good about the NHL. More power to them. Teams that play the trap (New Fucking Jersey etc.) should wake up and realize the damage they are doing to the sport.

Hockey will remain regional though. It will never be picked up by a national network again. The Superbowl is a national product, it is watched in every city. This generates the big advertising $. The Stanley Cup is a regional appeal event.

The NHL is so poorly managed. The players union is unrealistic. The owners refuse to work together. The referees are affecting the quality of the game to much. An original six franchise (Chicago) is a total disaster, wasting a solid market. The salaries are unrealistic. AAAgggHHH!!!They better screw their heads on this summer. It's like everyone is resigned to the fact that next season is shot.Ridiculous.

Comment

I think Tampa Bay represents all that is good about the NHL. More power to them. Teams that play the trap (New Fucking Jersey etc.) should wake up and realize the damage they are doing to the sport.

Hockey will remain regional though. It will never be picked up by a national network again. The Superbowl is a national product, it is watched in every city. This generates the big advertising $. The Stanley Cup is a regional appeal event.

The NHL is so poorly managed. The players union is unrealistic. The owners refuse to work together. The referees are affecting the quality of the game to much. An original six franchise (Chicago) is a total disaster, wasting a solid market. The salaries are unrealistic. AAAgggHHH!!!They better screw their heads on this summer. It's like everyone is resigned to the fact that next season is shot.Ridiculous.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I can agree with most of that. Teams adapted the trap and left wing lock because that is what is winning cups (NJ, Detroit, Colorado, Dallas) it also lets teams compete with less skill by clutching and grabbing in the neutral zone. You can't blame teams for using it. The NHL hasn't did enough to spur offense. Watch some old time hockey on ESPN Classic and you'll see a big difference in the style of play and the size of the netminders pads [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I think owners, players and league need to all take some blame. Salaries have gotten outta hand in the NHL...they can't expect the big time dollars that MLB and NFL get (with an revenue injection from TV rights that the NHL will never get) The owners paying crazy money for average free agents, the players holding out for money they arent worth. It is going to be a sad state of affairs with a CBA and lockout. I've been a fan all of my life, since 3 or 4 yrs old (40 now)
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Are you guys not seeing the Saturday or Sunday games on ABC??? Maybe they're not broadcast in your area, but I've been seeing them.
                        Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by TEKKY:
                          Are you guys not seeing the Saturday or Sunday games on ABC??? Maybe they're not broadcast in your area, but I've been seeing them.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">We get them here in the DC area but I don't think they have been advertised like they used to. ESPN and ESPN 2 seemed to have carried less games of the first round this year. As well as ABC carrying less games after the All Star break.
                          http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Really? Here in Chicago during the first round, there was a game on each channel every night.
                            Occupy JCF

Comment

You can't blame any one thing for the state of hockey. Saying the trap is killing hockey is stupid because, well, the trap is dying. This is the lowest scoring playoffs in 50 years or so, but it's also been one of the most exciting in a decade or more. Right now, forwards that are responsible defensively are where the game is won and lost. In Gretzky's day the game was won and lost on simply outscoring your opponent. Things change. It'll go back to scoring soon enough. Check Tampa and Calgary. Both of them have a core of players that will be going for another decade or more. That's where the NHL is headed.

Comment

Originally posted by TEKKY:
                                Really? Here in Chicago during the first round, there was a game on each channel every night.
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My memory could be shot but I thought there were some games that were not televised when their were 'open' slots during the night. I had to switch to the Center Ice package to pick up those games. I thought that I never had that problem in years past with ESPN or ESPN 2 coverage. It could be my memory.
                                http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X