Spyware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spyware

I 2nd Ad-aware. It has always done the job for me!

Re: Spyware

I am getting a lot of PC's in for repair with a boat load of spyware on um. Ad Ware is my top choice. Update and run it once a week or so.

Matt

Comment

I use spybot search and destroy and stay away from those sites and programs that are known as using spyware.

Comment

I just use Linux. BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHHHAAAAAAAAHAHAHA!

"Do you want to install Gator Assfuck 2000? It will automatically remember your passwords and transfer anything on your computer to us without asking?"
        "Sure. We'll see how well you work with an EXT3 file system and a browser with no ActiveX controls, jackass." [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Ad Aware & Spybot really are complementary. Each will catch things that the other misses. Since they're free I'd definitely join the above comments in recommending that you run both.
          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Spyware

within the past couple of weeks on my home computer and work computer that certain words on webpages and even here on forum posts are being automatically underlined and turned into links? For example everytime someone types the word "drugs" it links to an online drug website. Or if the word travel is typed, it gets a yellow underline and links to a travel website. What gives? Is it Adware of somekind??? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] My popup blocker won't block all popups anymore either. Is there a free way to elimainate this spyware If thats the problem?

Comment

I use adaware by lavasoft,as well as spybot search and destroy. Both are available from CNET.com. Another great site with several great spyware tools is http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/downloads.html

Comment

Check your 'Install/Uninstall Software' screen for any programs you don't recognize.

I can't remember the name of the program you are talking about (Context, or something?), but I do remember it sounding like a great idea in theory - but a friggin pain in practice.
                750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Adaware Free...
                  http://www.lavasoft.de/

Spybot Free.
                  http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

Download them and find peace...

Comment

I dunno, guys... I just downloaded these two programs that Cleveland Metal recommended, and now I seem to be getting popups. I've never had popups before. This seems counter-intuitive. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Comment

NOTP - I have both and use them regularly with no popups. Did you perhaps have a popup blocker installed that might have contained spyware (quite a few do)? If so it would probably have been removed or disabled.

If you need a new popup blocker try Pop-Up Stopper from panicware. It's pretty good (not great) but it doesn't contain spyware.
                      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Spybot and Adaware definitely DO NOT cause any type of popups whatsoever. I've used them for years.

I would also recomend ZoneAlarm, it is a free software based firewall, and is one of the best out there. I have the paid version as it has some extras that I really appreciate. One of which is an outstanding popup blocker that I use for some sites.

For some great info on all sorts of spyware and other security issues, check out:

http://www.GRC.com

Comment

I've used both Ad-Aware and Spybot, but my new favorite is called HijackThis. It's a single executable that requires no install. You can get it here:

HijackThis

One small catch: this program is a lot more "manual" than the others. In other words, you have to know what you're doing. It's good for not only spyware removal, but it can also help in killing those annoying programs that insist on running in your Windows task tray with no option to turn off.
                          Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I'll second the ZoneAlarm recommendation. It should be mandatory for everyone with a high-speed connection.

Comment

The popup blocker I've been using for almost a year now with no problems is the one built into Norton Internet Security. This is puzzling... I'll keep you guys posted about my popup encounters over the next few days to see if either of these two anti-spyware programs may have caused that.

In the meantime, I will practice killing popups with this HILARIOUS and AGONIZING game... hahahaha... I got 117 kills. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] "Kill The Popups" Flash game

Comment

Working...
                              X