• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now THIS is a cool picture...

From the Chicago Tribune...
    <center>
    </center>
    Nature's fury
    Lightning strikes near the Midland Marketing grain elevator in Hays, Kan., May 11. More than 5 inches fell in parts of Kansas.
    Occupy JCF

Re: Now THIS is a cool picture...

wow .. that is cool ...
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

That would make a wicked lightning graphic for an axe.
      We must!
      We must!
      We must increase the bust!
      The bigger the better!
      The tighter the sweater!
      The boys are counting on us!

Comment

That is almost the same color of my RR1 [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Great pic. Very Cool.

Comment

Who do the buildings and trees look fake (computer generated)? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Perhaps it's just me. [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Comment

The colors are so vivid, they look unreal, but I think it's a genuine pic.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

There's just such a heavy contrast, it looks fake. I thought it was a Photoshop job for sure when I saw it earlir, but the more I look at it the less fake it looks.

Comment

I think it's genuine ..I was watching Discovery and this one dude that's all he does is to take pics of Lightning.....His pics rule...this maybe one of his...

He's uses all the right film and lenses and whatnot to capture the moment..
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
                    Who do the buildings and trees look fake (computer generated)?
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oops, typo. I meant "WHY do they look fake", but you guys knew what I meant anyways. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Also, the lighting looks like a 3D videogame or something. I am seriously wondering why the lights have that greenish tint to them, giving everything else in the photo a greenish glow as well. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I'm thinking too hard about this. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Link me with a 1024x768 version of it and it will become my computer background. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

The excess green is normal, just overexposed from the lens being open for several minutes attempting to capture lightning. I've seen several pictures the same way. Typical steetlights nowadays are high pressure sodium (which is orangish) but they could also be mercury vapor which are more blueish. As well, I'd bet the lens is doped/filtered.

Comment

So THAT'S how you capture lightning? By leaving your shutter open for MINUTES at a time?

Well, that makes more sense than having an itchy trigger finger and a lot of luck! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Me don't gots a manual camera that can do that. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by audiophile:
                          The excess green is normal, just overexposed from the lens being open for several minutes attempting to capture lightning. I've seen several pictures the same way. Typical steetlights nowadays are high pressure sodium (which is orangish) but they could also be mercury vapor which are more blueish. As well, I'd bet the lens is doped/filtered.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sodium is orange? I thought it burned green on the specrum? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                          Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by TEKKY:
                            Sodium is orange? I thought it burned green on the specrum? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Specrum, isn't that a gyno tool? hehe maybe not.

Sodium

Comment

Originally posted by audiophile:
                              Specrum, isn't that a gyno tool?
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Speculum. Don't ask why I know that. The statute of limitations hasn't lapsed yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X