• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weird Phobias?

Creepy topic [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

While I dont care for spiders myself...
    They dont bother me.

What does freak me out terribly are heights..
    Not in a plane or in a tall building etc. But ladders, scaffolding, etc. I become unable to function. my knees lock up and shake and I tremble all over.
    Id rather have shock therapy.

The only other thing I can think that freaks me out is being eaten alive...
    I have this thing about that.
    Everytime I go offshore I get this worry that if the boat sinks or capsizes I will surely be eaten alive by a Tiger, Hammer or Mako long before a rescue is made or even notified...

I guess Id have better mental health if I stayed on dry ground but it calls me...

Comment

I concur with all the spider comments, as well as claustrophobia (I can't play hide and seek very well) and for some strange reason, people touching my neck and shoulders really freaks me out-most people like having those shoulder massage deals, but they cause me to have a seizure and my entire upper body freezes and the hair on my arms stands up. weird.

And toejam, I grew up in new jersey, and trust me-there are big spiders there. I was fishing once and a saw a huge brown spider that must have been about 4-5 inches long. I have also come across those really fat hairy bodied ones that are only about an inch long, but about the size of a shooter marble.

Comment

I had a serious Bullet phobia for a while ....not kidding.

I was really afraid of bullets..
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Maybe mine are not so strange.

1; the Dentist.
          2; snakes, lizards, any of that shit
          3; Spiders bother me a bit too...too many legs for my liking.

4; squid or octipi. I seen the largest ever or something close or some shit like that at the smithsonisisiananaj i can't spell nian museum, or some place down there... I can't even really remember much, because I about passed the fuck out.

Comment

I have a really bad fear of heights. I have trouble just being in tall buildings. Railings, glass, etc. are of no help to me in combatting my fear (interestingly, I'm not really bothered by the height when I'm in an airplane. Don't know why that is).

I have even had trouble watching movies set in high places.

Comment

I have the wierdest fear of all. Tsunamis. I live in California and have had many nightmares of being trapped on an island that is ravaged by a tsunami, when I was a kid.

That and Aliens and Ghosts. Oddly enough, though I get creeped out by them, I am absolutly fascinated by their existance. I'm a daily listener to www.coasttocoastam.com . Can get enough of those little green men.

But other than that, nothing freaks me out. Which is really strange. Not death / murder/ spiders any of the normal things.

Comment

Had nearly the same experience as GP when I was 8. I was playing hide and go seek and was going to run in between two large bushes and hide behind one of them. Stopped just before doing so, to look back and make sure the seeker was still counting. Turned to continue and there was a 4" yellow and black spider hanging out in his web not 6" from my face.

When I was 20, I went into the bathroom to get ready for work and saw a black one about the size of a dime on the counter. I had nothing with which to "do battle" and didn't want to leave the room to get something, as we all know how they take that kind of opportunity to scurry to the top of the doorway and drop on your head when you come back. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] The only thing that came to mind was to splash aftershave on it - thinkig that if the stuff stings me after shaving, it might do the same to the spider. No such luck - the spider just started running toward the other end of the counter - 6 feet away - with me madly splashing it with aftershave the whole way. Wound up with a very wet - but very much alive spider. This is where I went brain-dead. I decided at that point to fry the little bastard and tossed a lit match at him - momentarily forgetting the alcohol content of aftershave, which was splashed the entire length of the counter! There was a large WHOOSH and all 6 feet of counter went up in flames. Being alcohol, it burned off in a couple of seconds and did no harm to the counter. Fried the little bastard though! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Who wasn't afraid to fly a couple years ago ...rates were cheap too.
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Y'all are a bunch of freakin' PUSSIES! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I've rescued tarantulas from the middle of a canyon road....I went 130 MPH in my '68 Charger on an L.A. freeway...I entered a "Mr. Muscle" contest at my gym once, wearing only speedos (I won $100)....I've skied black diamond runs at Mammoth Mountain on old Dynastar skis I borrowed from my weird neighbor....on a hilly highway in Baja Mexico, I pinned the throttle of my Yamaha FJ1200 on a blind uphill stretch - went over the summit at 90 MPH - lemme tell ya, in Mexico especially that is one HELL of a thrill! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I currently ride the fastest production motorcycle in the world...daily....in Southern California....I've taken it to 160 MPH on a lonely Central California highway [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

But Ron, aren't you concerned about, you know, "biker balls" or "scooter dick"? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I hate flying, crawling, and creeping insects. Snakes are too quiet for me.
                      I was traumatized by a clown when I was really little - we went to the Ringling Brothers/Barnum&Bailey Circus, and the clowns were creeping through the audience giving baloons to the kiddies like myself (like maybe 3 years old) and I can see this one clown a couple of sections away handing a baloon to a little kid, and then I turn back to the right and there's this 300 year old man in heavy, cracking white, red, and black clown paint - I'll never forget the truly sad look on his face as I shrieked and turned away from him and buried my face in fear in my mother's chest - it was damn scary, but I kow it made the guy feel like shit [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

My brother has G.I.Joebia (fear of "Action Figures") because of an old old 70's horror flick called "Magic", about a ventriloquist's doll that comes alive and kills people. Trilogy of Terror didn't help much (the one with the Kewpie Doll that comes to life and kills the chick with a bigass Ginsu). I used to torture him by leaving my GI Joe or Star Wars figures out where he'd find them - like under his pillow or under his sheets way at the end of the bed, so that when he went to bed and put his hand under his pillow he'd touch the figure, or touch the other one with his feet [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      Damn, I had tons of fun with that [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Got my ass beat a few times as well [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

He was ok with the MEGO Superheroes (Superman, Bataman, Robin, 6 Million $ Man, etc etc) but for some reason GI Joe and the Star Wars stuff freked him out. Later he did admit that he would put his away at night in the bottom drawer of his dresser and put a couple of heavy boxes in front of the drawer - to keep them from getting out in the middle of the night [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Oh, and if anyone here has EVER seen that short flick where the guy's easting a bag of peanuts, and falls asleep on the couch, then the peanuts come alive and kill the guy (quite brutally) - yeah, he's afraid of an open bag of peanuts. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by budman68:
                        Dyslexic Jackson fans... UNTIE!

How great is that signature! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Dave->
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                        Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by PaddoK:
                          I have the wierdest fear of all.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually..... I have one that's even weirder than than and it relates to my "dark water" comment.
                          Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I used to have this phobia of 4x12 cabinets stacked on top of eachother falling on top of me...

Comment

"G.I.Joebia"!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Spiders kind of creep me out, but we cohabit okay around here. There's usually a huntsman or two living somewhere high on a wall inside the house. As long as they don't start running across the floor at my feet, I'm okay. The spiders outside the house have agreed not to build any webs across footpaths or driveaways at my head height, although they occasionally have lapses and I'll catch some high tension cable across my face as I stagger down the front path after a night out. I kind of imagine that it's handed down by word of mandible to each new spidery generation that if they build webs in certain places, the big lug is gonna just wander thru it and cause everybody a lot of hassle, he's too big to eat, and they can catch just as many bugs building high and away from human walkways.

If I ever find one hanging around somewhere they shouldn't be, inside the house, I'll get a jar and a piece of card and I'll catch them and release them outside. They're good at keeping the local flying insect population down.
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

I've already posted this phobia of mine in another post a few months ago....spiders. Just seeing pix in a magazine will cause me to launch the maga across the room, if it comes as a surprise to me that is. Seeing the word "spider" freks me out. I have a severe phobia of them and if a large one was on me, I'd probably have a heart attack. No joke.
                                All goes back to when my Dad was away in Vietnam and my Mom, sister, and I lived in San Bernardino (sp?, Ron). Mom told me that black widows would kill me if I touched one. I was probably 2 or 3 at the time (early 70s). I remember, quite vividly, my Mom and my Aunt Barbara spraying Raid on a rather large BW crawling across the driveway of all places. They wouldn't get within 10 feet of the thing. Then when my Dad got back, we moved to Dale City, Va and one morning, I was playing badminton and I went running backwards trying to swat the little birdie. Running backwards, I tripped and fell....ending up on the ground, a scant few inches from a face to face encounter with the "Halloween Spider" as I called it. It was one of those yellow and black dudes that was gargantuan (probably 4" from leg to leg) and sits in the center of an orb web. I screamed and was literally paralyzed with fear. Had to be picked up buz I couldn't move...only scream bloody murder.
                                I've tried the desensitizing thing with a shrink and also by buying a pet Mexican red toe tarantula. Never touched him but I could look at him. Named him Randy after Mr. Rhoads. I played with a band named Witness while I was in college at Montana State. We had a Ryder-type truck that we hauled our gear in. Me and Art, the rhythm player were driving thru Bozeman, Mt and ready to leave for a gig in Dillon, Mt. At 7th and Main, something caused Art to stop suddenly which caused the small, plastic aquarium housing Randy, to fall from my lap to the floorboard of the truck. You guessed it, the lid came off, and Art and I bailed out in the middle of an intersection, arguably the busiest intersection in Montana. He found Randy curled up and scared on the floor and scoped him back into the aquarium and put the lid on. Imagine the thoughts going thru other motorisats mind....Talk about being freaked out, I went on the fast train to panic land. Randy died after moulting a couple of years later. Fed him a small white mouse once. He killed it after a short battle but lost a leg in an apparent mortar attack by the mouse. Actually, the mouse ripped off on of his legs, which grew back during his next moult. Sorry if I bored you all by telling this same epic adventure again but it fit well in this thread.
                                Tom

Comment

Working...
                                X