Ebay backdooring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay backdooring question

If you make a backdoor offer on an Ebay item and the seller pulls the auction for you, you are NOT protected under any sort of Ebay protection, correct? If so, you guys must really trust the seller when you send them hundreds of dollars for guitars with no official record of the purchase.

Thanks for the info. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Ebay backdooring question

Yup, its a leap of faith. But generally, if I'm asking a seller to end somethiong, I've talked with him or her quite a bit, usually on the phone, and can get a good read on how I feel about it before leaping.

Comment

I only have ever tried to "backdoor" something one time. And, the guy refused!
      I'm pretty sure that a seller can set the auction up with your id being pre-approved and no other id's can bid. This would be the best way, so you're still protected. You're right, I wouldn't want to send money without knowing for sure!

Brian

Comment

Yeah, but that too can backfire. One of the JCF bros set up such a deal about a month ago, but the seller didn't do his settings right, or let the buyer know when he'd relist the auction, so another JCFer who just happened to be surfing Ebay snagged it instead. The first guy had talked the seller down almost $1,000
        too, which the end buyer benefitted from.

That deal would've been better to backdoor. The right guy would've got the guitar.
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Talking on the phone sounds like such an obvious plan that it didn't even occur to me. D'oh! Good one!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

The pre-approved bidder thing sounds ideal. I would assume that it would have prevented that episode lerx is talking about. Only the "rightful" promised bidder would have bid and gotten that guitar.

Comment

Yeah, the seller needs to know what their doing, so it's done correctly. Or, like lerx said, it just won't go right!

Comment

Working...
            X