Preventing and Treating Blisters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventing and Treating Blisters?

About 6 months ago, I bought a new house. And of course, with spring here, yard work has become a weekly chore again. The new house has a bigger back yard with more mowing and trimming involved.

Well, for the third damned week in a row, I've gotten blisters from doing yard work. Up until now, they've only been in the palm of my picking hand. No biggee. But, for the first time, today I got one on my fretting hand. Right on my thumb where it touches the back of the neck. ...Ouch! I don't want to be too much of a candyass about this but, with weekly band practices now, it's got me worried about playing with pain.

Anyone have tips on how to prevent blisters? And, once you have them, how to treat them to heal quickly?

(And, no, I haven't been jacking off too much! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

Re: Preventing and Treating Blisters?

I would think just some good hand lotion to heal, and wear gloves while working
    I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Oh yeah, I've been wearing gloves. Seems to help a little, but not much.

Comment

I guess just put lotion on before and after, when I was starting out playing drums when I was a kid I'd always get blisters on my hands but now I have really big callis's on my hands.
        I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Get your wife to do it! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dave->
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by budman68:
            Get your wife to do it! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dave->
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The yard work or the jacking off?

Hey, how about BOTH!

Keith
            The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Lance the blisters with a sterilized needle, drain the fluid, put Neosporin on the wounds and then Band-aids on them, tight enough that the blisters stay drained and don't refill wth fluid. I usually run the needle through both sides of the blister bubble to make it drain better and it also seems to help keep the fluid from building back up.
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] @ Keith

Seriously, band aids just get in the way. Just grin and bear it. The blisters will turn into calluses and you'll be a man in no time [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] . Have beer and b1tch about them like everyone else does in early spring. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Dave->
                Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

There is stuff called moleskin that you can buy at any drug store. All you have to do is cut a hole in it the size of the blister and put it on over top of it. It keeps the actual blister from rubbing on anything. YOU DON'T WANT TO POP IT THOUGH! If one layer isn't enough put two on but with the moleskin you can definitely keep it from rubbing anything. I know this I used to get blisters on my feet all the damn time!!!

Comment

Originally posted by budman68:
                    [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] @ Keith

Seriously, band aids just get in the way. Just grin and bear it. The blisters will turn into calluses and you'll be a man in no time [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] . Have beer and b1tch about them like everyone else does in early spring. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Dave->
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Dave's recommendation is the most commonly used [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] .

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] All I can say is don't pop blisters, ever. They just hurt more.

Comment

Backcountry hikers sometimes apply a little Neosporin (or the like) and cover forming blisters with duct tape. The duct tape sticks pretty well and absorbs the friction that caused the blister in the first place. Of course this is coming from someone who's been known to repair cuts with super glue so YMMV. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Next time before you start your chores, put some Band-Aid (don't go cheap on it) in those spots that are causing you trouble and those you think may be next in line.

Comment

dont know man,

ive never gotten a blister on my hand before

ive always had calluses on my hands because when i was younger i use to play in the woods all the time

Comment

Working...
                            X