X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the gas boycott won't work

http://snopes.com/politics/business/nogas.asp

Don't fall for email forwards! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Re: Why the gas boycott won\'t work

Yep, you've got to think this stuff through! Nice thought, but carpooling would have more effect, and Americans mostly don't carpool.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I'm going to run out and fill both the car & the bike today. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

But there is one point where the Snopes response is entirely incorrect:

Gasoline is a fungible, global commodity ....
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Everyone in California knows that's not true because California requires a different blend of gas than any other place on the planet. Similarly there are over 50 different blends that are legally mandated for different regions in the US at different times throughout the year thus forcing inefficient use of refining capacity and in turn higher-than-necessary gas prices. It's not the sole reason but it's part of the problem.
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Originally posted by YetAnotherOne:
        Everyone in California knows
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Now who's the incorrect one? I think most gas consumers in California don't know their ass from their filler hole! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I can't begin to list all the stupidity I've seen down at the corner: talking on the cell while pumping; ladies sliding in & out of the vehicle while pumping; high octane being put in when it's totally uncalled for....I've even confronted a couple louts who were merrily puffing away on cigarettes! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

And gasoline IS a global commodity. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

i personally would like to see anyone go without gas for any real amount of time. this country is so dependant on gas that everyone would pay what ever the cost to get it. i could see prices at 5 or 10 bucks a gallon and yeah ppl would complain about it but would keep paying anyway.
          i dont think my boss would accept the excuse of i dont have any gas in the car so i will be late for work/ not working today [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Agreed, Chopper, and sadly there's nothing we, the people, can do about it. Yeah we can b1tch to our Congressmen but Oil Is Money in this country, and whoever owns it or owns stock in it is rolling in enough dough to ignore the pissants like the Working Man when we b1tch about being pumped at the pump.

I don't see electric cars as a viable alternative for several reasons:
            -Absolutely horrible performance
            -Prohibitively expensive to make and buy
            -Takes too long to recharge
            -Far too small for the Typical American Family
            -Absolutely no class in the design - I mean, come on, they look like damn Jelly Beans [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Propane Power? [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] Not me, pal, sorry.

In reality I don't see any evidence that Alternative Fuel Engines would put the oil companies into bankruptcy, since the same petroleum is used to make plastics, which are the staple material in, I'm sure, 90% of manufactured goods worldwide (from computers to cel phones to home appliances to cars and pickup bobbins and some housing insulation). Then there's the lubrication oil needed for almost everything that has moving parts (motors, gearboxes, even sealed guitar tuners).

Those markets will always be dependant on petrochemicals, and I'm certain that those markets combined are consuming more petroleum per day than automobiles.

The current surge in gas prices is NOT due to the Iraq War, it's a Money Grab. There is no shortage; there's no *need* for prices to rise. They are being jacked up out of sheer greed.

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:

I don't see electric cars as a viable alternative for several reasons:
              -Absolutely horrible performance
              -Prohibitively expensive to make and buy
              -Takes too long to recharge
              -Far too small for the Typical American Family
              -Absolutely no class in the design - I mean, come on, they look like damn Jelly Beans [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Propane Power? [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] Not me, pal, sorry.

In reality I don't see any evidence that Alternative Fuel Engines would put the oil companies into bankruptcy, since the same petroleum is used to make plastics, which are the staple material in, I'm sure, 90% of manufactured goods worldwide (from computers to cel phones to home appliances to cars and pickup bobbins and some housing insulation). Then there's the lubrication oil needed for almost everything that has moving parts (motors, gearboxes, even sealed guitar tuners).

Those markets will always be dependant on petrochemicals, and I'm certain that those markets combined are consuming more petroleum per day than automobiles.

The current surge in gas prices is NOT due to the Iraq War, it's a Money Grab. There is no shortage; there's no *need* for prices to rise. They are being jacked up out of sheer greed.

Newc
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Don´t forget about food. To produce one calorie of food-energy it takes about 15-20 calories of oil-energy. It would also take oil to produce whatever kind of "new fuel technology" there is.

If a barrel of oil costs $40, then $10 comes from production costs, $2 from transport and the rest is pure profit (~67%).

I think autos/trucks makes up about 50% of the oil-consumers.

But, really, arguments such as "electric cars is not fast enough", or "they look silly" is just bs. You dont need to drive faster than 50 miles/h, at least not in big cities. People have to start using cars as a way of transportation, and not as toys. Sure, it would take away some "freedom", but I rather live with that than facing the breakdown of the western civilisation.

Comment

I'm speechless after that last paragraph by Monk. [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                  The current surge in gas prices is NOT due to the Iraq War, it's a Money Grab. There is no shortage; there's no *need* for prices to rise. They are being jacked up out of sheer greed. Newc
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">110% correct, could not have said it better! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

The problem is that 98% of the people in this country believe whatever they are told on the evening news. The few people who actually see things for what they are aren't strong enough (in numbers) to make a change in the daily routine that the politicians and the press put us all through.

Comment

Agreed - But I have ot bought gas for a year (going to and from work) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] but I have to drive this butt ugly electric car ... Any way July 15 they are going to take it from me and CRUSH IT DOOHHHH - they will not sell them - they are going to CRUSH then alllll.. Damn kindof nice not stopping at the gas station it will be a sad day - plus I will have to buy gas at $3.00 a gallon by then

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperfuzz:
                      I'm speechless after that last paragraph by Monk. [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">?

Comment

Monk has a point though. People need to use cars simply as a necessary transportation, not a toy or luxury(spl?). If more people did that, combined with carpooling, we wouldn't have to ***** about this gas crap so much. But, well, we all know how people are.

I hate cars. Trains and buses rock! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Hoss, why are they going to crush it? Fear?

And while the Europeans and many others may not mind an ugly, 55-65 MPH electric car, a great many Americans enjoy speeding way over the posted limit (as evidenced by the high number of speed-related fatalities) and we are the Kings Of Muscle Cars - if it can't be modded to race, it's a piece of shit with wheels [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] In that case, we Americans should stop bitching about our high gas prices. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Bah!

Here's how I get to work every morning!

<center></center>

Incidentally, this picture is taken of the line I use in the morning at one of the stops I get off on in the morning.
                              Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                              X