Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is this what happens with every generation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: is this what happens with every generation?

johnny damon is starting to look like me
    more everyday now.
    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

There's a lot of music out today that I don't really care for, but some of it is pretty good, especially the heavier, more melodic metal bands like The Haunted, Opeth, Shadows Fall. I still listen to the old hard rock/metal and classic rock stuff like the Eagles, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, VH, Dokken, Saigon Kick, a lot of other '80s bands, but I always liked the heavier stuff a little more... bands like Slayer, Overkill, Testament, Flostam & Jetsam, Megadeth, Metallica, Death, Death Angel, Dark Angel, Forbidden, etc. I guess that's why a lot of the newer heavy bands don't bother me as much as some other people. I really dig Slipknot a lot, too. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] At the same time, I'm also now going back in time and rediscovering some bands I really wasn't into or wasn't familiar with a lot of their catalog, like Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, other bluesy, hard rock, classic rock bands. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy:
        perfect example-
        when van halen 1 came out in '78 i was 13.
        the 18 year olds who i tagged along with did not like them. it took me a long time of promo work to win them over on the issue. we're talkin a few years till they really listened to the awesome guitar work and gave in finally in the end.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's a great example, and a lot of players were shellshocked by Eddie; I was one of 'em! "Holy FUCK! I just got to where I could consider myself good, and now THIS?!?!? Back to the fuckin' wood shed!!!" Of course it was exciting once you got past the shock. I actually remember the first time someone said "Van Halen" to me, I said "Who's that, a folk singer like Van Morrison?" Talk about being off base!

That's when I first remember guys who couldn't keep up started using the "Aw, he doesn't play with FEEL, man!"
        crap! What a load of [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

To this day around here, when the slowpokes hear any kind of shred, they say the guy should "stop the Eddie Van Halen shit" whether he plays like Vai, Yngwie or Morse! Kinda funny, though sad!

[ May 19, 2004, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I hate it when people say someone doesn't play with feeling. Almost everyone plays with feeling, especially if they're making music for a living. There's no one feeling, there're tons of feelings. I generally prefer the feelings of anger, brutality, and obscurity in music. Death metal does that stuff quite well, so I like a lot of death metal.

Comment

yo lerx,
            how about the people who said he was not a good rythym player as well? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            here is my favorite one after playing eruption
            for someone the first time-
            "that's not a guitar, it's a synthesizer"

ninja,
            i agree, there has to be feeling behind whatever it is. in this case it means lack of blues i would guess.

Comment

It's Rich Tommy, Rich. I don't know know Ridgeley's. lol But thats ok I sure as hell don't remember the spelling of your last name. But I'm sure Ron could help us.
              We must!
              We must!
              We must increase the bust!
              The bigger the better!
              The tighter the sweater!
              The boys are counting on us!

Comment

A Synth? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Well, I did hear from someone that those huge divebombs in Eruption were done by slowing down the tape. Which is okay with me, cause it sounds cool.

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Hardcore blues listeners should stick to the blues. It's good and best for them. I hate when they rant about shredders and metalheads.

Comment

Yeah Tommy, people said a lot of stupid shit trying not to acknowledge that Eddie
                  had turned the hard rock/metal guitar world upside down!

Shit, I was envious too, but you know once someone blows up an atom bomb there ain't no going back!! All you can do is try to build your own atom bomb! And we all did, didn't we? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Those divebombs are done with a nice 400 ms or so delay on the dive. I guess they could've slowed the tape but I always got the same effect with a flanger and delay.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

First impressions always leave a lasting mark on our likes and memories.When we first get really interested in music it's usually something that really excites us or inspires something in us.Some of us tend to stay in the same genre while others are very curious and experimental in our musical taste search.It's not to say one way is better than the other it just seems to be the way we are.
                      I like to listen to all kinds of music.From classical to Frank Sinatra,Glenn Miller,Jazz,country,blues, rock.I like to hear a theme and variations though or should I say a melody and rhythm.We only hold ourselves back by limiting our preferences.I feel that listening to many forms of music has only enhanced my own creative pallette.
                      Getting back to topic here, I think as kids we're rebelious to begin with so we tend to belittle our parents taste.As parents we have a hard time understanding why our children don't have the same values as us. I have found that through music I was able to improve all relationships with my kids simply by being open to their musical choices and them listening to mine.It seemed to somehow help with honest communication and not being afraid to say what we really think.
                      We don't have to like each others choices but rather accept the differences.
                      Rap music is not one of my favorites because it only meets half of the rhythm/melody criteria in my opinion.

Comment

I'm 37 and my Brain is just hardwired to 70's and 80's hard rock/metal. I want to hear a driving straight forward beat, a guitarist who can riff and shred like a mo'fo' with harmony and melody, and a singer who can actually SING! Most New metal is empty and hollow to me. Overly Simplistic dropped D riffs, no solos, horrible vocals, weird choppy, beats...I can't stomach this stuff at all. [img]graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] I still get the same rush from Dio, Maiden, Priest, etc., that I got in the 80's when the bands were new. I like a select FEW newer bands but the old stuff will always be the best music ever made. IMHO. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy:
                          johnny damon is starting to look like me
                          more everyday now.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Gotta love it. Can't have that hair as a Yankee. The beard is coming off Friday for a charity sponsored by Ghilette. Saturday after all the games I've been to I finally get to see Pedro hurl a few up live and close. I've always got screwed out of any starts he was scheduled for in the past. Two in domes Wed. and Thurs. and I just have to pray for no rain outs on Friday or the day of. Weekend after is stand tickets at the new 60 foot bar section of Fenway's right field roof. The Sox are back in first and I have games two weekends in a row. Life is good!

][:o)#
                          We must!
                          We must!
                          The bigger the better!
                          The tighter the sweater!

Comment

i'm back in town ridge. maybe you and your friends can string me up and burn me in effigy [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Ridge? So your back in Boston for real?
                              We must!
                              We must!
                              The bigger the better!
                              The tighter the sweater!

Comment

You're thinking too much, guys. Whats wrong with you? Are you getting old? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .
                                I'm 27 years old and find harder & harder to find time to gather with my still-punk frends remaining to hear new bands/CDs. Obligations we have more. Free time we have less. We are getting more & more into society's standard & forgeting who we are and the way we lived when we were 18.

Comment

Working...
                                X