Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is this what happens with every generation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: is this what happens with every generation?

ridge=ridgeley
    yes i am in town.

cz-
    yes i am thinking too much
    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I'm forty and grew up in Detroit, I have two older brothers so I had all the cool classic rock stuff form the 60's and 70's. I put them in 2 categories...pre-VH and Post-VH as far as guitar style goes. Todays music has no guitar solos in it, although not necessarily a necessity 98% of the songs should have one [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I can get into some newer stuff if there were melodies in it, usually it isn't very melodic in nature which is kinda of sad. I don't care too much for the Manson / Korn thing but do like some bits of Disturbed, God Smack etc but I always find myself going back to what I like...older Ozzy w/ Randy Rhoads, Dio, Sabbath, Maiden, Priest Lynch, Malmsteen etc...I guess I'm old but I don't care [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

shut up and dance.

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy:
          .....it just does not make my dick hard like the tunes i grew up with.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">38 years old and I agree whole heartedly. If it doesn't get my heart pumping, it's outta here!
          My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

I'm 36, and I listen to a lot of the underground bands that have kept 'real metal' alive in recent years. But I haven't been able to get into most of the nu-metal/rap-metal/whatever-it's-called-this-week-metal stuff with the warbling baritone vocalists and simplistic guitar riffery.

I'm not necessarily putting that stuff down--it just doesn't work for me. I prefer more sophisticated music, even of the metal variety. I've long been into prog-rock, jazz, and classical, in addition to metal. But most of that stuff (including most of the underground metal) is more properly classified as 'art music', rather than popular music. Popular music is more about trendiness and danceability than musical sophistication--and ALWAYS HAS BEEN. Just think back to such stuff as Duran Duran. That's never really changed. All of the Korn/Limp Bizkit/P.O.D./Creed stuff is really just this generation's version of Warrant or Poison--fluffy pop music packaged in a nice metallic wrapper.

Art music exists for its own sake, and its target audience is people who appreciate the music for its own sake. When I was at an Arch Enemy/Hate Eternal/Black Dahlia Murder show last year, I saw all of these teenagers who were intensely into *the music*, just like I was about Sabbath and Maiden when I was their age. It wasn't about the scene, or the chicks, or whatever. Well, I always hoped that chicks would start digging that stuff, but I knew better... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Moreover, in the last couple of years, I have almost completely lost touch with what is current in mainstream popular music. My wife will mention a name, and I have *no idea* who she's talking about. I have, indeed, become my father! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X