Underrated...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underrated...

I've read a few references to underrated or forgotten guitarists from the last 30 years. What would be some of your choices. Who do you think deserves MUCH more credit as a guitarist?
    A few include:

Brad Gillis - Night Ranger
    Rik Emmitt - Triumph
    Dave Meniketti - Y&T
    Chris DeGarmo - Ryche
    Glenn Tipton/KK Downing - Priest
    Oz Fox - Stryper
    Schenker Bros/Uli John Roth - Scorpions
    Robbin Crosby - Ratt
    Lindsey Buckingham - Fleetwood Mac
    Neil Schon - Journey
    Scott Dalhover - Dangerous Toys
    Eric Johnson
    Slash
    Pat Travers

There's so many more that deserve credit.

Re: Underrated...

spoono gettinsnort from extreme
    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

There are people on your list (Slash, Glen & KK, Eric johnson, Lindsay Buckingham, Neal Schon) who have gotten tons of attention it would seem to me. In the early eighties Glen & KK were the shit for a number of years...Lindsay and Neal get lots of attention outside metal circles. Eric johnson everyone knows, but his song catalogue basically sucks, which keeps him out of the spotlight a bit. Slash is pretty visible. Same with Rik Emmett, very well known , but not an active rock guitarist anymore and Triumph is long gone. I don't think he suffered for attention.

Comment

The guys you mentioned are known, yes but in my opinion are often ignored by some. For example, I've heard nothing about Neil Schon since being on the forum until I brought his name up in an earlier post. The man can rip the Sh*t out of a guitar with incredible feeling. Tipton and Downing get no respect anymore and Slash is seldom brought up much. Everyone will have totally different opinions on the matter. I just wanted to hear some of your choices. Have any? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Apart from some of the guys you named:

Frank Marino
          Shawn Lane
          Trevor Rabin
          Chris Poland
          Marc Bonilla
          Alex Lifeson
          Robin Trower

+ a lot of the current underground metal guys, but I wouldn't really call them 'forgotten'.

Comment

Nice topic but your list is off base bro. Slash?, Eric Johnson, KK and Glen?? The majority of players on your list are or were staggeringly popular and highly worshiped as guitar gods. Most have or had huge endorsements and even signature guitars. I have a list of "actual" underrated guitar players who you wouldn't even recognize unless they were introduced to you yet they kill on guitar. Even when they were in popular bands people still thought they sucked ass. I will give you a few:
            Richie Kotzen- I saw an REH instructional video of his that almost made me give up the guitar. His recent work with Vertu is awesome. Most people don't even knows who he is and the few that do just think he was that suck ass guitar player who replaced CC Deville in Poison.
            That brings up another player:
            CC Deville- Regarded as a drunk, burned out, arrogant, big haired wannabee on guitar. DEAD FUGGIN WRONG. He is extremely accomplished, wrote great licks and could shred as well as any other of the 80's dudes. I saw him do a 10 minute solo that reminded me so much of Zack Wylde now that you would swear it was Zack playing.
            JJ French- I opened for Twisted Sister for an entire year. Night after night, JJ smoked. Style, chops, hooks.. everything. He is truly an all around great player who wails in every style from blues to jazz to rock. Most people don't even know he was in TS. When TS was popular he was regarded as just a guitarist. Ojeda had the cool guitars but JJ had the serious as a heart attack chops.

Comment

I've got to say Ty Tabor - King's X. The man is righteous. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
              Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Originally posted by markpb:
                Same with Rik Emmett, very well known , but not an active rock guitarist anymore and Triumph is long gone. I don't think he suffered for attention.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Especially not in his own mind! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] That dude had an ego big enough to fill a stadium and always came across to be a little prickish to me....damn Canadians! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

How bout Scott Henderson
                  www.kiddhavok.com
                  www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy B:
                    I've got to say Ty Tabor - King's X. The man is righteous. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">fuck yeah he is, nice call.

anyone dig warren cucorullo?
                    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Right on JGCable on DeVille and Kotzen! I totally agree. Some I mentioned had it all at one time but are becoming extinct with alot of folks. To me these guys are guitar gods and should never be pushed aside regardless if they are still making music or flipping burgers.

Comment

Jake E. Lee
                        Brad Gillis
                        Jeff Watson
                        Dave Meniketti
                        Alex Lifeson
                        Dave Linsk
                        Eric Peterson (even though he plays mostly rhythm).
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

chuckracer- from the tunes i've heard of his, he's got more rock in him than a crack dealer.

sully
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Buck Dharma
                            Blixa Bargeld
                            John Frusciante

Comment

Right on JGCable on DeVille and Kotzen! I totally agree. Some I mentioned had it all at one time but are becoming extinct with alot of folks. To me these guys are guitar gods and should never be pushed aside regardless if they are still making music or flipping burgers.

Comment

Working...
                              X