Highs and lows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highs and lows

Well I'm back on finally. Not that I'm the most active member here. The past couple of weeks have been the best and worst I've been through in a long time.
    Two weeks ago I lost my grandmother. She had battled with Alzhiemers(sp?) for the past several years. She only knew my dad and no one else. Her funeral was one of the strangest I have ever been to. There was the typical grieving for her, but seveal of us were struggling with a little guilt. Alzhiemers took her from us several years ago. We took care of her, at a cost to our personal lives. Several of us would stay at her house with her, putting in alot of work taking care of her. I wasn't the only one who thought now I can move on with my own life after her passing. I hate that, but that was the way I felt. Alzhiemers takes a little from everyone not just the person suffering from it. It is actually alot worst on the family members of those inflicted with it. They don't see the hurt when say that they don't know who you are.
    Then last week my younger brother graduated from Va. Tech. The family having grieved the week before, we partied like there was no tomorrow. It only took him seven years.

If anyone else has a family member on here that is suffering from Alhiemers, and you need someone to talk to. I'll be glad to talk to you.

Brian

Re: Highs and lows

Hey man, my grandmother's old boyfriend (sounds strange I know) suffers from Altzeimers. The saddest part was that before it kicked in hard, he was really one of the nicest and most genuine people I've ever met. I own a Yamaha classical guitar from the 50s that belonged to his wife (she died a long time ago). Anyway, it was really sad that he got it, but that's something that you don't really live with-you exist. Your grandmother is in a better place now where she doesn't have to deal with that disease anymore.

Comment

man,
      if i ever forget what i have done and experienced in my roller coaster ride on this planet, i hope somebody here would shoot me in the head. i'm sorry mud, that sucks.
      all i've got is a truckload of memories. without them and my friends all i am is dead already.
      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Hey Brian,lost my Dad last November after a seven year struggle,& now we're taking care of my Mom who is in the advanced stages,never easy but you just do what you have to!!It's a strange thing to feel so sad yet relieved at the same time eh??Sorry to hear about your loss bro,you & your family are in our thoughts & prayers!!Chucksplatter

Comment

Brian, you and your family are strong, straight up good people for showing the care and love over the years.
          Harbor NO guilt over the "Now I can move on" feelings. You are just being honest, and you've certainly paid your dues. You indeed can move on, just as she did. That's a good thing!

Comment

I understand what you're going through man. My grandmother had alzheimers too. I remember several times about her telling me that I should meet her son Buck. (my father) It was sad to see.

Stay strong man.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

I feel that my mother might be starting in with some symptoms -- it's seems to get worse little by little everyday -- just real forgetful at this point and hoping that I have the strength to handle it if it does indeed turn out to be Alz. She remembers things from years ago, but losses track of recent events and things quite quickly.

My dad passed in 2000, on my mothers birthday no less, and my mom moved in with her parents until they cashed their chips in and she returned home.

I'm am doing my best to be available to her and trying to figure out how to handle things should they progress... it's nice to know that if this turns into Alz. there are places that I am comfortable with that I can go for advice...

D>

Comment

Sorry to hear, but as Chuck said, it's time to move on with your own life. Just remember the good times and go forward with everything. There's nothing else you can do. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My Grandmother died last year from Alzheimer. I know what it is like to deal with the guilt and frustration. Even though she died last year, it seems she died a few years before that due to the memory loss. We did put her in a home that deals with people that have Alzheimer. The state paid for her stay there, but they will take over her estate for them to do that. It doesn’t mater if she has a million or 300 in equity; it’s just that it will belong to the state. If your loved one is in the early stage, I would suggest talking to an attorney that deals with this type of situation. Protect what you can. I don’t want to sound callus, but I would not want to put my family through a financial burden or lose everything I worked for that was to go to my family because of me.
                  ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Everyone thank you for the kind words.

Comment

Working...
                    X