Canada's GUN LAWS suck ASS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canada\'s GUN LAWS suck ASS!

Another point to add to MetalChef's fine post--some make the argument that the "protection against govt. tyranny" argument is dumb, since we in the USA have a superpower military that a bunch of guys wielding hunting rifles couldn't slow down.

But think about this--Hitler never invaded tiny Switzerland right next door to his own country. Why? His military could probably have swept in rather quickly. But to try and occupy a country where every adult male was *required by law* to be militarily trained, own a gun, and know how to use it, would have quickly turned into a quagmire--even for the mighty German military. Hitler figured it was better to deal with the Swiss as a neutral country than to have to deal with resistance by the Swiss citizens.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion:
      But think about this--Hitler never invaded tiny Switzerland right next door to his own country. Why? His military could probably have swept in rather quickly. But to try and occupy a country where every adult male was *required by law* to be militarily trained, own a gun, and know how to use it, would have quickly turned into a quagmire--even for the mighty German military. Hitler figured it was better to deal with the Swiss as a neutral country than to have to deal with resistance by the Swiss citizens.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That is partially true. The biggest reason for Hitler not to invade Switzerland was the BIS (Bank of International Settlements), followed by the fact that the goal of Switzerlands military doctrine was to destroy the precious tunnels and communication links through the Alps (if they faced an attack from the Axis). This would have cut off German access to their forces in Italy. You are right though, about the Swiss being badass when it comes to shooting. Together with the Finns, they probably have the deepest rooted gun-culture in Europe.

Comment

"If I didn't have this gun, the King of England could just walk in here any time he wants, and start shoving you around. Do you want that? Huh? Do ya?" -Homer
        God bless the 2nd amendment.

I just have a BB gun that I use to shoot soda cans in the backyard. But I've been wanting to buy a real rifle and take it to a shooting range. Where do you think I'd be able to get a hold of one of these babies?

Comment

You want to go straight from a bb gun to a Barrett 50 cal? lol I know a few places you can get them. Bring a fat wallet though.
          We must!
          We must!
          We must increase the bust!
          The bigger the better!
          The tighter the sweater!
          The boys are counting on us!

Comment

6K is the cheapest I've seen a Barrett go for.
            Here's 1 at 1 of my favorite sites.
            The internet is a wonderful thing. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/Vie...?Item=18839112

Comment

I never got to see a Barret in person.

But as I was leaving I got to see the Tac-50 trials.

It'll turn an OPFOR's head into a fine pink mist at over 2,000m

My fellow Canucks managed to score some points in Afghanistan with a few of these.

Including the longest range combat kill of 2,430m

Those teams really knew thier trade and had awesome kit. Whenever you needed to "reach out and kill something" They were the ones.

Hell, the U.S Army offically wanted to award em 5 bronze stars.
              Sometimes, I really regret leaving the service.. I would have loved to serve a tour over there.

[ May 27, 2004, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: 2Loud2Old ]

Comment

I have mixed feelings on gun laws. I don't have a problem with hunting rifles, its the assult rifles and hand-guns that should be tougher to obtain. They are so easy to get, everyone and their brother has a handgun. Too many deaths caused by a moment of impulse, someone is drunk, mad and in an argument and ends killing someone.
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
                  In California you wait 14 days while a background check is done, for rifle, shotgun or handgun. In addition to felonies, you'll be denied if you have any domestic abuse convictions, even if misdemeanors. You also have to take and pass a gun safety test, or watch a gun safety video, in order to buy a gun. Guns can't be sold through newspaper classified ads either.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Okay, thanks! I thought it was something like that.

Originally posted by lerxstcat:

Or, you can go to the hood and illegally buy an AK-47 that is fully automatic, with no paper trail. Depends on if you're law-abiding or not. That's why LA cops are using 9mm pistols against automatic weapons on the streets everyday.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, that is sad. I dont think making it illegal to own guns would improve things either. The ones who legally own weapons does not use them for killing other people, mostly.

People kill others because they want to, and not just because they can.

As a gun owner, what could happen to you (legal wise) if you lose your weapon (theft or pure stupidity) etc? Also, do you have to pass alot of those tests for each weapon you buy?

Comment

If someone is in the frame of mind that they are going to kill someone I'm sure they will do it with any tool that's available. They are commonly known as criminals. But we give them cable tv, a membership to a gym, 'room and board' and college degrees. Go figure. Obtaining a handgun in my state is far from easy. Like I said if criminals want them they will find them. And the same effect is had with a hunting rifle, "assault rifle" or handgun. They all do the same thing. Shoot a bullet.
                    We must!
                    We must!
                    We must increase the bust!
                    The bigger the better!
                    The tighter the sweater!
                    The boys are counting on us!

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] hahaha Maybe straight from a bb gun to a .50 cal is a bit of a stretch. It's a hell of a cool rifle though. You know those hicks that sit on their porch with a shotgun waiting for trespassers? If you had this thing you could blow up the UPS truck from your porch when you find out they smashed your package. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Just a couple questions.

- How long ago did you purchase this Firearm?
                        - What feature of your firearm makes it restricted?

It's classified restricted not prohibited right? You probably don’t want to spend the money but you can take the restricted firearms course which would enable you to legally possess a restricted firearm. There also may be a grandfather clause that would apply to you because I’m assuming your gun was added to the restricted list when the firearms act was put into place in 1998.

Double check the firearms act. http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/F-11.6/...html#rid-59493

Comment

I still have to do some more homework.

I think I bought it around 1992-94.

I believe the collapsable butt-stock is the primary reason for the restriction.

It is considered an "assault-type" weapon, and I'll admit it does LOOK the part, it is a copy, a knock off that has no automatic or 3 round burst capability.

It's a single shot semi-automatic rifle in the truest sense of the word, a single round fired for every pull of the trigger. Even if it looks like an assault rifle, it's NOT.

Thanks for the link.

Comment

If you like guns, check out the game day of defeat... based on world war 2 axis verse allies.. really good game, (played online only) allies, have the thompson, m1 garand, bunch of other guns i can't remember, axis have K98, kar, MG .42 its a modification game of half life.

day of defeat website

[ May 28, 2004, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Jon ]

Comment

The laws around Restricted and prohibited firearms in Canada are terribly confusing. It’s difficult to get information from the Canadian Firearms Centre as well, many of the people you talk to on the phone there really don’t know what the hell they’re talking about. You best may be to talk to a collector, gun club member, or even an instructor of the restricted firearms course. They know the ins and outs of the system, and are usually willing to help.

Comment

Working...
                              X