Computer geeks, help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer geeks, help!

Technology frustrates me. I've got a cable modem hooked up to my computer via wireless router so I can getonline and get my daily dose of JCF. About every 20 minutes or so, I have to reset the power cycle. I have to go through the setup on the Internet options, choosing my LAN connection and whatnot. After that, I have to shut down the computer, unplug the cable modem for a couple of minutes, plug it back in and restart the computer. Then I'm good for about another 20 minutes. What can I do to stop this madness? The tech people at the cable ompany are not much help. Please help me. I'm retarded on computers.

Re: Computer geeks, help!

The router is a D-Link DI-514 hooked up to a D-Link DWL-122 adapter. I have no idea what "dynamic ip and ip-leasing" means. Like I said, I'm retarded when it comes to computers. Thanks

Comment

Okay. Do you know if you have the SSID service running or not? If you have it shut off, the symptons you describe are pretty common.

Also, when the problems occurs, do you loose the connection between computer <-> router, or router <-> internet or both?

Can you still connect to the 192.168.0.1 (or whatever it is) configuration ?

[ May 27, 2004, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Monk ]

Comment

I have no idea what the SSID service is, sorry. All I know is I was on the phone with the tech guy and he walked me through the coniguration for the router. Thanks for being so patient with me.

Comment

Np. I am not very familiar with the wireless stuff (d-link causes enough problems when using wires [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) but I can try to help you out anyway.

First, when you lose your connection to the internet, do you also lose the connection to the router?

To check this, simply enter 192.168.0.1 in the address field in your web browser, and check if you can connect to the d-link configuration interface. If you can, login and click the "Status" tab. Then, check the IP-address under "WAN". Is it an actual number listed there, or is it just zero's ?

If you cant connect to the configuration interface, the problem is most likely with the wireless stuff, and then I do not have the knowledge to help you.

Comment

Sounds like your cable modem is dying.

They do that. A lot.
            [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Cheap pieces of crap, exactly like a dialup modem. Cost about .75 cents to make. Sell 'em for 50 bucks.
            750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
            Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Well, it's a brand new cable modem. I just got the cable installed last Friday.

As far as when I lose the connection, I type those numbers into the address field and I get a pop up window asking me for a name and password (which I don't have or don't remember getting one). Then of course it says unauthorized.

Comment

Go straight from the cable modem to your PC and see if that solves it. Then you will know what is to blame.

Matt

Comment

The problem lies in your router I think. What kind of router is it?

I think the problem could be with dynamic ip and ip-leasing.

Comment

Originally posted by Travis:
                    Well, it's a brand new cable modem. I just got the cable installed last Friday.

As far as when I lose the connection, I type those numbers into the address field and I get a pop up window asking me for a name and password (which I don't have or don't remember getting one). Then of course it says unauthorized.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, then the connection between the wireless router and your computer is working. The username should be "admin" and the password field should be left blank. That is usually the factory settings on the D-link stuff.

Try to log in.

Comment

I can still log in to D-Link's stuff by typing the numbers into the address field. So I'm assuming that the router and receiver are working fine.

The support lady at the cable company said that the modem was reading fine and that I should be able to get online. When I asked her why I had to reset the power cycle and restart the computer, she said that it just sometimes happens. But why should it be happening every 20 minutes or so?

Comment

Bump

Comment

Working...
                        X