Recommend a single coil pup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a single coil pup

I don't know where should I post it, so here it goes. I want a clean glassy strat sound suitable for rock/ metal soloing. I looked up the seymour duncan site but it seems kinda hard for me to compare. I also heard good things about YJM too. Any suggestion?

Re: Recommend a single coil pup

I like the Vintage Rails. They have a great clean sound and when pushed they produce really good Strat-ish leads. They're also extremely quiet and don't suffer too much when compared to high output humbuckers.

Comment

ummm..how about a fender single coil?

Comment

Is fender single coil good for shredding? I love fender's classic galssy tone (like the clean tone of David Gilmour's), but don't know how it sounds when I crank up the gain and distortion.

Comment

Well, I thought more about this and there are a couple of other things I should know before offering more suggestions. What kind of guitar and amp are you playing through? What position will the single coil go in? What other pickups will be in the guiar? Answer these and I can give you some more suggestions.

Comment

Thanks Travis. I'm thinking about a custom guitar with alder body and maple fretboard. The single coil is in the neck position. The humbucker at the bridge might be Duncan Distortion but I'm yet to decide. Maybe I'll try out some Dimarzio first. The aim of this guitar is to play classic rock/ blues type solo, preferably both blean tone and shredding, so the tone of the pups should serve this purpose. My amp is a poor little Marshall Valvestate VS15, but lately I've been playing with headphone through the built-in pre-amp of my Boss digi recorder. Thanks for any info. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Dimarzio Virtual Vintages. GREAT pickups!

There are several models, depending on the PU position and tone you're looking for. I tend to prefer the 2.1s and 2.2s for neck & middle, with a bridge HB. They're good for a "clean, glassy strat" tone. But you may be looking for something hotter for leads (bridge positon?), like the Blues or Solo.

Comment

Then I would say a Duncan Cool Rails would fit the bill. They've got a nice blues tone when put together with a little distortion, good cleans, and they can shred a plenty when pushed under high gain. The Hot Rails is a great shredding pickup as well, but the cleans aren't quite there.

Comment

Thanks alot guys. I'll check out Dimarzio's Virtual Vintage and Cool Rail. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

The only singles I like are Evans. You can cram them with distortion and they still sound great........

Comment

Working...
                    X