Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indie labels, compilations, DIY production...any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indie labels, compilations, DIY production...any tips?

With six months having passed since my band's first (and so far, only) live show, and well over a year since recording our demo, we've been trying to get some sort of momentum going prior to recording a full-length. Lots of demo CDs sent to labels large and small, a fair number of good reviews, and a lot of material written and rehearsed at this point, but it feels like we're going nowhere fast. Our vocalist decided that the whole "going away to college" wasn't working for him, so he moved back and is attending Music Tech in the fall. That means fewer scheduling issues, but now we have no excuse for not making progress.

Recently, I've had a few different people mention compilations to me, as a good way to get our songs out there, sort of a half-step between a demo and an album. The only downside is that it either means 1) spending money to record something that we'll end up re-recording later on, or 2) using an existing song from the demo. Most comps seem to cost around $150 to get included, and without a decent recording setup of our own, we'd have to pay someone to record us. Of course, if the compilation has good promotion and distribution, the exposure will benefit us.

Beyond that, we still would *like* to get signed to a label, even a small one, if it meant more opportunities to get our future full-length out in front of people. Simply selling a CD off our band site or at shows is always an option, but we're hoping to do more than that. Most of the indie labels I've been in contact with (dealing in death metal bands) are very small-time operations that only sell CDs mail-order or from their website, which is not much of an improvement. There has to be something better, even for a virtually unknown band.

Anyone have any experiences with this sort of thing? Before we start spending money to get on compilations, or get halfway through recording an album that we end up sitting on, I'd like to get some input from people who have been down the same road. We're making a few good contacts for playing out, as long as we don't mind being the only death/thrash band playing alongside either Hatebreed-style hardcore bands or one of many local grindcore bands. [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
    sigpic

Re: Indie labels, compilations, DIY production...any tips?

Lots of info in some section there: http://www.guitar9.com [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: Indie labels, compilations, DIY production...any tips?

Hey Inazone,

Having been signed and dropped twice by small labels myself, I hope you're prepared for a bumpy ride! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously, though the best thing to do is to stay on your own as long as you can. Compliatation CDs help, but it depends on whose CD you're on and how much exposure you're likely to get. Try to contact other bands that have been on these CDs before and see how it worked out for them before you decide if it's right for you. I mean I had a song on the Ultrasound compilation CD (paid for by my former label) called "Tell me why", have you ever heard of it?...Probably not, and it did me no good whatsoever.

If you want to do music professionally then you either need lots of money or your own small recording studio. Do all the track work yourselves and take the recording to be mastered for a more polished product, or master it yourself if you can. With a computer and decent gear you can do pretty well and you'll save thousands of dollars you can spend on promotion. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

People that review CDs (especially overseas reviewers) usually have contacts or know the labels personally. Through them is your best way to attract a label so make a point to be extra friendly to them. When you're ready or someone like that puts your CD in the right hands, labels will seek you out. That's usually the way a band gets signed, it almost never happens just by sending CDs to them directly. They get hundreds every single day, even the small labels.

Make sure your songs are copyrighted and you are a member of a performance rights association like BMI (it's free to join them ASCAP charges a fee) BEFORE you sign anything. Try and keep your publishing rights at all costs. If you send out enough CDs for reviews, make enough contacts, and as long as your band is any good (I assume you guys are) you will be approached by a label sooner or later.

Having gone that route more than once the truth is I was a lot better off on my own than I ever was signed to a label. Even now I'm almost ready to make yet another "comeback" and try to start selling CDs again. Unless the label interested in you is Columbia Records or some other larger label I'd stay on your own, I sure wish I did. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sorry this was so long, this is a complicated question and there are alot of different answers. I based my answer on my own experiences and I hope it helps you make the decision that's right for you and your band.

Best of luck to you,
      Joe

Comment

Working...
      X