No announcement yet.

RacerX and chuckracer I need you help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RacerX and chuckracer I need you help.

Ok, I have my my mind set on buying a street bike, the only street bike I've owned was a 91 zx6 ninja, I had it about 4 years ago and only for a few months, my mom really didn't like me having it, not because I'm unsafe but because everyone else is. I liked it and really like the ninja ergos. I've raced dirtbikes since I was 3 so I have 17 years expireance riding and racing, I'd say I'm a vet racer on the track but still an intermidiate on the street. I'm about 6-4 230 lbs so I'm not the smallest guy either. I've riddin a few CBR's, a bunch of Ninja's and a few GSXR's well here is the one I'm looking at a 1997 GSXR 600v

Knowing chuck raced zuki's What do you think about this bike?? Guy's asking 4k, I'm going to talk him down to 3k so If I can get it for around that price I think I'm going to snap it up. i'm also looking at a few Ninja's so any help you 2 could give me that'd be cool
    I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Re: RacerX and chuckracer I need you help.

God Damnit, I can't spell for shit, i forgot the Damn r in your, well at least Ron will see it clearer now [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Get a Harley! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] J/K
      Hell I'd buy that for $3000! It's a nice bike... I say go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Drsracing:
        I'm about 6-4 230 lbs so I'm not the smallest guy either. I'm looking at a 1997 GSXR 600v
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You seem a bit large for a 600. Have you sat on it? I'm 6'4" myself and I have trouble folding my long legs up on anything smaller than 1000.

Any reason you want/need a super sport bike like a GSXR? Maybe you're just gonna pose on it? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Or race only? [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
        I'm speaking as a dude who uses my bikes for lots of different stuff: commuting, touring, canyon riding, grocery shopping, etc. An older Ninja has different ergos than a newer GSXR. Maybe look into some of the older Ninja ZX-9s.
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Those older Gixxers were pretty much built for the track, and and the rack only. I think for everyday use, you'd be better off with something else. I rode my '03 R6 everyday for 15K miles, and it wasn't bad at all. I do rememeber Chuck steering me away from two specific bikes for everyday use, an RC51, and any older Gixxer. See if the guy will let you ride it around for 50 miles or so, and see if you can tolerate it.

Comment

He didn't ask YOU, Kev! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Hey, Drs, I just thought of another aspect...you're a young fucker, ain't ya?

You need to check insurance costs for any bike you're thinking of getting. If it's a sport bike, prepare for this --->

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Ya, I checked the inc. it's just as bad as my 95 trans am was so I'm used to it. Basically I want this to travel back and forth the 25mi to work and do a little bit of track work on it, I'm not into doing wheelies or any showoff shit on a bike since I lost a freind that was kinda doing that on his 01 cbr 600.

I have ridden the gixxers but I guess never spent a lot of time on it like the ninja, but man this thing just looks like a fun bike to go ride and have fun with. I've been about 6-3 6-4 since I was 18 and It wasn't bad at all on the ninja so I don't think that'll be bad. The only bike I've ever been really unconfertable on/hated was the new r6/r1. It's just not a bike for a big guy.

Comment

Donnie, I don't think you'd be happy for long with that era GSXR. The first thing that pops into mind is the seat-to-peg distance on those is the shortest in the sportbike world. That's great for track use but we're not real worried about ergos when you're on the bike for 1/2 an hour tops. For everyday use I think you with your long legs would find it intolerable after a while. The ZX6 is known to have more "real world" ergos, as are the Honda CBR's (my choice). Slightly lower pegs and clip-ons mounted above the triple, not below.

Horsepower wouldn't be much of a concern on the 600's. Anything making 100 horsepower and weighing 400 pounds is going to be damn fast. Kick it down two gears and you're accelerating fast enough on the street to make things very interesting. Keep in mind I raced some high horsepower superbikes in my day, but my choice of streetbikes was always a 600 and I was never bored.

I think you should hold out for a ZX6 or CBR. The price is right on the Gixxer for sure but in the long run, you'll be happier if you wait for what you really want, the Kawi.

Comment

Well, I've learned never buy the 1st thing I see or want, I'm gonna go look at a few and then decide. That was the first thing my uncle said was that the gsxr was more of a "race tuned" bike than the ninja and the other bikes I was looking at was. I've found a few zx9's and cbr600's and 900's that might be interesting too. I'm not really concerned about the horsepower, like chuck said anything weighing 400lbs with 100hp is enough for street use. I just want to have fun and maybe learn a little on the track, I know they have all day schools at pacific raceways's, and everyone who has a bike of the caliber I'm thinking of buying should have at least a little schooling. I just hate having money burning a hole in my pocket [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

NOOOOOOOOO don't do it turn away from the light, and run back to your KX as fast as you can. There aren't enough of us motocrossers on this board. Another dirt biker swayed by the sexy lines of those darned sport bikes. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Brian

Comment

Well, because I don't get my money till Tuesday. The guy went and sold it to someone else this afternoon, I totally felt what chuck said about the seat to peg location though,not the greatest for me,. I went and looked at and sat on a 95 cbr900 tonight and it was a little more torwads my riding style I just hate that black purple and yeallow paint though. I think I'm going to defintaly look at and ride all the bikes I'm looking at and not just go for the first one I see. There's a 91 ZX10 here that I think I'm going to go look at wensday and I'm going to go up to the dealer tomarrow and look at a 1990 GSXR750, and a 1987 750 there's also a 91 CBR900 too really local to me. Being that I'm going to the dealer tomarrow there's always a new MX'er to, I came within a hair last year of buying the ktm 450sx, which rides like a dream for a 4 stroke for me.

Comment

I have had a Gixxer 750 it was a fast bike and light but it was not the most comfortable. My CBR was a lot more comfortable... My friend had a Duc 996 that seemed damn comfortable and nice to me handled awesome IMO maybe it was all in my head...

If you are 6'4" 230 though Don't get a 600....
                        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

LOL!!! If you think a 996 is comfortable, that speaks volumes on how Uncomfortable a GSXR really is!!

I know:

Comment

Hey ChuckRacer a buddy of mine just got a Ducati just like that, he lives in San Fransisco great bike I got to ride it up to Santa Clara 1 day while I was visiting him. I'm not a big fan of Bikes since our Best friend died from a careless driver almost 5 years ago.
                            Sweet bike none the less. I'm 6'6 now weighing 230
                            I say you look around find something your comfortable with, price isn't everything .

Comment

What about an 89 GSX600 Katana, yoshi pipe, jet kit, custom paint, 16K original miles, new tires, service every 3k, could probally get it for 2K

Comment

Working...
                              X