Rhoads vs. Van halen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhoads vs. Van halen

Just your average everyday Rhoads fan wondering why? Anyone in their right mind would compare them read an old guitar for the practicing musician that had angus young jake e lee and a whole lot of gr8 guitarists paying tribute to a muscical genius Then..........Eddie comes and goes along and said i heard him a couple of times i thought he was good , he had said (meaning Randy) that he liked me alot and I could hear my influence HELL NO Randy played in key all the time Eddie did'nt learn a scale till the 90's (aggravated RR fan)!!!!!
    [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

Re: Rhoads vs. Van halen

Why should they even be compared [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Rhoads brought a blend of rock cliches, classical elements, blinding speed and technique, and classicaly inspired themes to the forefront of metal.

Eddie kicked modern guitar in the ass and hasn't looked back yet! Eddie is a very "feel" player with a lot of chops and technique and is very, very fluid and lyrical in his leads and rhythms.

I think both guitarists mentioned are awesome, but both very different players.

Comparing them technically or sonically would be similar to judging the virtues of apples to pineapples.....it can't be done [img]graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

Comment

Don't sweat it bro. They are both great guitar players. One is a legend and the other is destined to become one. Completely different styles. The only similarity they share is the fact they play 6 string guitars.

Comment

K, I give up. Which one isn't the legend?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Me....or was that not a choice.....

Comment

Why is this posted in the USA Jackson section? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
              Why is this posted in the USA Jackson section? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ya got me by the short curlies [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I agree, they shouldn't even be compared.

Interesting side note though- I read that Randy said he didn't like the fact that on his live guitar solo, he climaxed it with a tapping bit that sounded too much like Eddie. He would rather have done something else that was more 'his own' style but it just sounded great.

Comment

I wonder what R.R. would be doing now?

Comment

Originally posted by T-Town:
                    I wonder what R.R. would be doing now?
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Honestly, I think he would have pursued his classical guitar interests and either been an instructor at a major college/university or been a performing classical player on tour.

It is terrifying to think where he would be technically [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Randy was so humble with his playing, which is a very rare commodity.

Comment

Im sure he'd still be shredding metal.

Comment

"Eddie comes and goes along and said i heard him a couple of times i thought he was good , he had said (meaning Randy) that he liked me alot and I could hear my influence HELL NO Randy played in key all the time Eddie did'nt learn a scale till the 90's (aggravated RR fan)!!!!!"

I hate to say it, but (some) Rhoads fans are the music worlds equivilant to Green Bay Packers fans.
                        Die hard to the end, but obnoxious as all hell.
                        A) Randy said that it "killed him" to steal EVH licks, but he was trying to build his guitar hero image asap. He said give him a couple more years and then he could come up with something original.
                        B) They were rivals to an extent. I don't know about you, but I don't go around talking up my rivals.
                        C) I hear Randy copping VH licks, I don't hear VH playing Randy's.
                        Rhoads is still my fave, but I can see the people for what they are...

Comment

if Randy Rhoads was alive today, he would be in a country band.

the latest guitar magazine has that rhoads interview were he says he did many things similar to van halen in his live show and went on to say that he was disappointed he had not developed his own unique style. He felt the van halen-type stuff he did was just for show.

Comment

Originally posted by LesPaulCustom:
                            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by toejam:
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ya got me by the short curlies [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Now I've got a song idea. It will be a bluesy, Zeppelin-esque piece.
                            "Ooh baby, got me by the short curlies... ooh baby, way down inside my shorts."
                            I can just picture Robert Plant singing it now! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Since I am fairly warped in the head I will clarify...

Guitar God-----Alive and shredding and a great song writer
                              Guitar Myth----Alive or dead and sucked the whole time.
                              Guitar Wizard--Alive and shredding and a crappy song writer (Vai, Satriani, maybe even Malmsteen for example)
                              Guitar Legend--Dead but shredded until the day he met his maker.He was in a great band and wrote great songs that changed the way guitars are played forever.
                              Examples:
                              Jason Becker---Guitar God, Wizard.
                              Randy Rhoads---Guitar God, Wizard and Legend.
                              Stevie Ray Vaughan--Guitar God, Wizard and Legend.
                              Kurt Cobaine---Guitar Myth ( I am not talking about his song writing which was killer so back the fuck off)

Comment

Working...
                              X