Rhoads vs. Van halen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rhoads vs. Van halen

thanx for all the feedback but most of you missed my point . and randy was very humble and passionate. the point is van halen could'nt even give a point to a player of randys unbelieveable level of training technique and one of the first if not the first to multi layer gutar tracks. eddie could only say thet randy gave him praise and basically took credit for randys stylings and ability, I think that is gross. oh I am sorry for putting my post in wrong spot

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      Killer post, JG!!

Comment

Just curious JG, since I kinda agree with your classifications but how can you be a God and a Wizard since they are opposites (one CAN write, the other CAN'T)? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

C) I hear Randy copping VH licks, I don't hear VH playing Randy's.
          Rhoads is still my fave, but I can see the people for what they are...
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wouldn't because those licks were standard blues oriented licks would it? Now flip it ..when have you ever heard VH play a classical style run like Randy ..

My point is simple.. the licks that you hear eddie playing have been around in Rock for a long time ..Eddie put his own feel into em ..

Randy became innovative in the sense that he brought Classical influence into metal.. something that wasn't very exploited at the time ..

I'm not taking away from Eddie at all here as they were both monstor players. My point is that we all rip off from our heros and predessors .. These guys were no different ... they just had their own approach to what they were doing
          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

apples suck! oranges rule!

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Not to mention that it's nearly impossible to compare:

- someone who was taken from this earth so early that his body of recordings was relatively small;

vs.

- someone who has had the fortune of living on and developing/changing his style, and recording a large body or works over many years.

Besides, why get upset over things that were said many, many years ago, when both were still alive?

Comment

How the hell can you say Satriani can't write a song?

Mind Storm, Crystal Planet, Devil's Slide are ALL excellent.

I can't say too much for Vai.

Yngwies songs are a little out there, but for example, Judas is awesome.

Comment

Anybody who thinks (or pretends to) that they hear Randy playing Eddie licks are absolutly fucking insane. THE ONLY SCALE they both play that remotley resembles each other is the penatonic, and they both modified that scale totaly different, with completley different fingerings. Eddie is a blues lick god, Randy was a minor scale junkie. I have to play both of these guys best stuff, it would have been much easier to learn had Randy "copied" Eddie. Stop the insanity.

Comment

2 hand tap was not prevalent at the time.
                    Schenker, Roth and Moore were all playing classically influenced guitar parts within a hard rock/Metal format before Rhoads.
                    They were never as popular as Ozzy was though.
                    Fact of the matter is that Randy said that EVH influenced him.
                    Yes, Ed is more "American" sounding and Randy is more "European" sounding, but the European tag comes because those guys were doing it 1st. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                    Like I said, Rhoads is still my fave, but I can see where he copped stuff from others.

Comment

By JG:
                      Since I am fairly warped in the head I will clarify...

Guitar God-----Alive and shredding and a great song writer
                      Guitar Myth----Alive or dead and sucked the whole time.
                      Guitar Wizard--Alive and shredding and a crappy song writer (Vai, Satriani, maybe even Malmsteen for example)
                      Guitar Legend--Dead but shredded until the day he met his maker.He was in a great band and wrote great songs that changed the way guitars are played forever.
                      Examples:
                      Jason Becker---Guitar God, Wizard.
                      Randy Rhoads---Guitar God, Wizard and Legend.
                      Stevie Ray Vaughan--Guitar God, Wizard and Legend.
                      Kurt Cobaine---Guitar Myth ( I am not talking about his song writing which was killer so back the fuck off)
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">By Ralph E.:
                      Just curious JG, since I kinda agree with your classifications but how can you be a God and a Wizard since they are opposites (one CAN write, the other CAN'T)?
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I was wondering the same thing myself [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] .

Comment

I'd say Randy probably copped the tapping thing in a few of his solos from Eddie (which Randy basically admitted in that GW interview), but other than that, I don't hear a lot of crossover between either of them.

They WERE rivals to a degree on the Sunset Strip in the '70s.

That asshole quote from Eddie has gotten a lot of comment over the years. Even Tony Iommi had nice things to say about Randy in that same article, and if anyone would have had nasty things to say, you'd think it would be Tony, given the bad blood between him and Ozzy at that time.

Comment

By DarkRhoads:
                          Randy played in key all the time Eddie did'nt learn a scale till the 90's (aggravated RR fan)!!!!!
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] What do you mean he didn't learn a scale until the 90's? That doesn't really make sense at all. [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Comment

Eddie did not come up with the tapping thing, he made it popular. he has said in interviews that he saw a jazz player do it, and copied him (dont remember who). Randy probably got the idea for tapping from Eddie. Pesonally I like Randy's technique better, he did put his own twist on it after all. We were all so lucky to have two great guitarist's in the same era at the same time. Eddie was greatly influenced by Hendrix, to think that Randy was influenced this same way by Eddie, is, well, insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotrod:
                              By DarkRhoads:
                              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Randy played in key all the time Eddie did'nt learn a scale till the 90's (aggravated RR fan)!!!!!
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] What do you mean he didn't learn a scale until the 90's? That doesn't really make sense at all. [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Seems strange, but he might not have. I believe Eddie was basically like a piano prodigy early on, but I think he just pretty much faked it and copied by ear what he heard. I remember him even saying he had a problem on the guitar in that if the dots were gone from the fingerboard, he'd be lost. He's totally goes by feel and doesn't keep correct time, and it kinda pisses Alex off.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotrod:
                                By JG: </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Since I am fairly warped in the head I will clarify...

Guitar God-----Alive and shredding and a great song writer
                                Guitar Myth----Alive or dead and sucked the whole time.
                                Guitar Wizard--Alive and shredding and a crappy song writer (Vai, Satriani, maybe even Malmsteen for example)
                                Guitar Legend--Dead but shredded until the day he met his maker.He was in a great band and wrote great songs that changed the way guitars are played forever.
                                Examples:
                                Jason Becker---Guitar God, Wizard.
                                Randy Rhoads---Guitar God, Wizard and Legend.
                                Stevie Ray Vaughan--Guitar God, Wizard and Legend.
                                Kurt Cobaine---Guitar Myth ( I am not talking about his song writing which was killer so back the fuck off)
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">By Ralph E.:
                                Just curious JG, since I kinda agree with your classifications but how can you be a God and a Wizard since they are opposites (one CAN write, the other CAN'T)?
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I was wondering the same thing myself [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] .
                                </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">DISCLAIMER!!!!!!!!!!!
                                I told you I was warped. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Oops...
                                Strike the Wizard referral in regards to Randy and Vaughan. I will stick to my guns regarding Vai, Malmsteen and Satriani. They are all incredible players (Malmsteen and Macalpine are my favorites) but for the most part, their songs are only a vehicle in which to showcase their guitar solos. Take the rippin shreddin fuggin unbelievable playing out of the equation and there is pretty much no song left.

Comment

Working...
                                X