Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rhoads vs. Van halen

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Hotrod:
    By DarkRhoads:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Randy played in key all the time Eddie did'nt learn a scale till the 90's (aggravated RR fan)!!!!!

What do you mean he didn't learn a scale until the 90's? That doesn't really make sense at all.

Seems strange, but he might not have. I believe Eddie was basically like a piano prodigy early on, but I think he just pretty much faked it and copied by ear what he heard. I remember him even saying he had a problem on the guitar in that if the dots were gone from the fingerboard, he'd be lost. He's totally goes by feel and doesn't keep correct time, and it kinda pisses Alex off.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, but learning the piano at an early age like he did, you'd think he already knew scales from that or at least the theory. It just seems like you hear these guys all the time who like to claim "Oh, yeah, I don't know a single note or scale or even a chord name" but then they shred like nobody's business. It always smacked of BS to me. Now I'm no theory whiz by any stretch and I'm not trying to say that anyone has to be to be good. It just seems like you have to start somewhere. I learned the open chords from books and then the Pentatonic scale and everything else, I got from watching or playing w/ other people or just noodling around. I think he may be trying to downplay it a bit IMHO. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

And how come my quoted quotes look so screwy? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] What the heck is wrong with me............ [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

With that said though and getting back to the subject, here is my honest take on EVH and Randy.
        I am some what qualified because I did audition for Ozzy for the Speak of the Devil tour and was called back for a second audition. So... here it goes..

EVH wrote more great songs (only because he has been alive longer)
        EVH changed the face of guitar playing forever.
        Sorry guys, Randy influenced many players (including myself) but he didn't change how guys approach the guitar.
        Randy gets the sympathy vote because he was tragically killed in his prime.
        EVH is a MUCH cleaner player and very rarely made mistakes live in his prime. I have seen Randy several times and he made plenty of little mistakes live during songs and his solo's.
        EVH is a feel player and has a style all his own.
        Randy didn't strike me as a unique player regarding his style or tone and his "feel" was more thought out and planned.What did strike us players as unique: he was 4' nothing and Ozzy would throw him around the stage like a prop, he played really cool looking guitars.He was one of the first "neo-classical type" players that was in an insanely popular band. He actually played scales and modes!!Remember, he was in Quiet Riot and didn't really get much acclaim until he hooked up with the INSANELY popular Ozzy.
        His playing style wasn't unique mainly because there were several players doing the exact same stuff at the exact same time who were also very popular. Blackmore, Uli Jon Roth (known as Ulrich Roth back then) to name a few. EVH on the other hand stopped every rock guitar player in their tracks the 1st time any of us heard ANYTHING he played. The talk back then was that he was using some kind of synth or other studio tricks to achieve the sounds he coaxed out of a homemade strat with a STOCK non-locking trem. Again, I heard and saw Derringer do that stuff but EVH took it to a level that nobody at the time even dreamed of taking it. Because EVH reached the mainstream so directly and profoundly and the fact that he changed guitar playing forever,IMHO, EVH wins in every respect. With that said... I love Randy's playing and writing and I always will. He is a constant inspiration to me because he was always learning. When on the road, he would take lessons from famous teachers near where they were performing. Just imagine the potential he had. Staggering.

Comment

No comments.

Comment

That's a beast of a picture, if only he was playing a Rhoads.

Comment

Working...
            X