No announcement yet.

Bill's New Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's the only genisis I actaully liked..I never was a fan of Phil Collins.. neither is Trey or Matt of South Park..they go vicious on him..I have no clue what he did to get that treatment..but it had to be good..

I had the first two Genesis on vinyl years ago..I haven't heard them since..but I always knew Steve was a world class player as is Phil Keagy of Glass Harp..he was doing arpeggios back in the 60's..

I'm a bit out of touch with alot of that style now..my tatse just got into really much more "extreme" music..metal really..so I don't mention these guys alot..but when I was young I listened to all the old great with my friend..that's all we would do is listen to records finding the coolest guitar shit..

Once we discovered Frank Marino..which was right before VH came out..that was it..

Then when VH did come out..it was all about VH and nothing but!!
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

• here's the link btw. Eddie and Tony doing Hot For Teacher

LINK
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

• Tony Levin is the biggest bass influence on me ever..I don't even know most of his work..just his work with King Crimson really with a Chapman..that changed my life as soo as I saw that in '81-'82..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

• Tony with Crimson was amazing, my favourite song is "People" from the album THRAK, he and Bill Buford (who was also the drummer for Genesis after Phil started to sing) are doing a sick groove on that tune. The whole Discipline album was so amazing too.

Btw. I really liked Liquid Tension Experiment wich the Dream Theater guys Portnoy, Petrucci and Rudess did with Levin. MUCH better than anything that DT has ever done. And well I'm not gonna compare Myung with Levin.
          Myung has fast finger and that's it, no groove no nothing, he plays exactly the same lines as Petrucci. But Tony is extremely musical, melodical, is a groove monster and has tone for days.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

• Originally posted by Endrik View Post
            here's the link btw. Eddie and Tony doing Hot For Teacher

LINK

SMOKIN" Video!!

Two of my biggest influences of all time together in one video..my main influence from when I was 13 in '78 to 1996..

I met Jeff Loomis thru a mutual friend in '96 .. that was my new "hero"..I'll never forget the first time I saw him play..it was like the first time I heard Ed and saw Tony with that Chapman..it kicked me that hard.

That pretty much somes up my shit..

I LOVE Uli Roth..but he's NOT an influence because I can never play like that..Ed , Tony and Jeff..I can at least get close..they are somewhat a "reachable" goal for me..I guess...well I certainly try.
            Last edited by horns666; 09-28-2006, 12:13 PM. Reason: this new feature sucks ass

Comment

• so i FINALLY picked up the first communic album. pretty cool stuff. sometimes too mellow/opeth-ish for my taste, but then again i only gave it one quick listen, and this is not easy-listening music. the singer rocks, too. very nevermore-ish, but also got his own style. kickass

btw, bill, on november 11th uli john roth will play a club a few miles away...maybe i should check it out, seeing all the praise around here

Comment

• Uli is glorious, but don't go expecting a typical metal show. Uli is as much Hendrix and Beethoven as shredder. In fact he never shreds just to show off, it ALWAYS serves the song. So he doesn't try to outgun anybody he just has pure expression of his thoughts and emotions through his music.

If Yngwie was Saruman, Uli is Gandalf the White, the good wizard of the guitar!
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

• It would be awsome if Uli would be like Hendrix performance wise and burn his fugly sky guitar

awsome player though

Comment

• Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                    It would be awsome if Uli would be like Hendrix performance wise and burn his fugly sky guitar

awsome player though
                    Those guitars cost $17,000, and I doubt Uli gets that much for a show these days, so he'd lose his ass pretty quick doing that! It is a little goofy looking, but when you see and hear him play it, you have to love it - like an ugly dog with the best personality!
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

• but how's his financial status right now? he was almost broke some time ago.

Comment

• I don't know, in fact the last news I heard was that he might have to give up his Welsh castle due to heavy debt. I don't know if he lost his home or what.
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fragle View Post
                          so i FINALLY picked up the first communic album. pretty cool stuff. sometimes too mellow/opeth-ish for my taste, but then again i only gave it one quick listen, and this is not easy-listening music. the singer rocks, too. very nevermore-ish, but also got his own style. kickass

btw, bill, on november 11th uli john roth will play a club a few miles away...maybe i should check it out, seeing all the praise around here

Yes Rich is right..Not a metal show at .. but the guy is a master of guitar hands down..you will enjoy the show most definitely..you just can't deny his awesomeness when watching him..he totally zones out and has the greatest feel, emotion and articulation far above any other player I have ever seen in my life!!

The only guitarist my wife truly loves..and she heard them all and could really care a less..

So I had to take her, which I was glad I did..she really had a great time..and we were right in front of him..belly to the stage..

Please go see him..he is a guitarist's guitarist..guys Like Mike Amott, Marty Freidman and Yngwie Malmsteen owe their lives to him..you WIIL be impressed..

$17,000 for that guitar..wow, I never knew that..they dude in Fair Warning, has a similiar guitar like that and trie to emulate his style..he's preyty good..they just came out with a new cd..it's total AOR style , like a mix of Rainbowm / Journey..very 80's style with many ballads but all the solos are really are vocal like Uli's are..they are the highlight of that band..

Fragle Yes, Communic..I just ordered their second album.."Waves of Visual decay"..kind of like a softer more prog version of Nevermore in style..good stuff..good enough for me to buy..

Get the ne Eidolon..their VERY best yet..VERY Good and I think he lifted a riff of mine..but if that's the case..that's a major compliment for me..

That means it was worthy enough for such a great player to absorb, even if subconsciencely..

We ALL take from one another and put are own spin on it..hell I do it all the time..

I regurgiitate what I love listening to..if I listen to At The Gates or Nevermore , Arch Enemy for a month straight...I'm going to write like..and so on..
                          Last edited by horns666; 09-28-2006, 02:07 PM. Reason: editing is my life!!

Comment

• the only reason why Bill worships Uli is because Val tells him to

Comment

• Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                              I don't know, in fact the last news I heard was that he might have to give up his Welsh castle due to heavy debt. I don't know if he lost his home or what.

That is a true shame..that a guy like that ..a true legend and master of his art..is broke ..while guys like fucking Tom Morello is living high on the hog, gracing the cover of guitar world a dozen times....That's just 100% fucked up!
                              Last edited by horns666; 09-28-2006, 02:11 PM. Reason: tjis new edit BS sucks dick..I fucked up one letter.

Comment

• what's wrong with Tom Morello, dude writes good songs

Comment

Working...
                                X