Bill's New Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm
    Last edited by horns666; 02-28-2007, 05:26 AM.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

• an

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

• evil

Comment

• mutha

Comment

• fucka

Comment

• Joe!

Comment

• I'm extra EVILL..Post 6,666!!!!

Comment

• picked up some new metal yesterday....still in the process of listening to all the stuff, but so far i don't think i've bought any crap

blind guardian - imaginations from the other side
                  should be a safe bet, except for the fact that this is my first real full length encounter with the bards for a long time all i knew was that ATROCIOUS mirror,mirror single...my god, that was *real* bad. the album kicks my ass, though. awesome singing, great melodies, OK production, good feel for songwriting....it's all there. i definitely need to get more of their stuff, they might very well become my new nr. 1 heavy power metal band (before it was iced earth)...yes, i like it that much!!!

next was unearth - the oncoming storm
                  ok, this is actually my first voyage into supposed metalcore territory. the singing is somewhat nerve grating, and some of the breakdowns just don't fit at all, but overall i'd still consider this a good album. there are some way cool ideas that obviously have their roots in the swede DM scene, but they did something new with it imo....much like mixing thrash metal with melodic death metal. now if they only dropped their hardcore screaming and cut back on the breakdown stuff i'd REALLY REALLY REALLY enjoy this kinda sound! despite of all the metalcore bashing that's ever so popular right now...

last but not least, the latest lamb of god, entitled sacrament
                  not bad at all!! the singing still isn't my cup of tea, but they have some REALLY cool musical ideas, their style of riffing isn't like anything i've ever heard before, which is interesting....most heavy bands today tend to either be influenced by slayer or by melodic death metal primarily, but imho neither is the case with LoG. there are slayer riffs, moreso than gothenborg riffs, but i can sense a huge testament and even dream theater influence! and while they also incorporate breakdowns, they fit much better than with the unearth stuff.....with LoG they actually build tension and evolve during the song, so it's not just like staccato riffing repeated 4 times or whatever, but more like a staccato riff that becomes the basis of different drum rhythms, and some weird but interesting melodies on top.

in short words, as of right now
                  blind guardian : 9,5/10
                  unearth: 7/10
                  lamb of god: 8,5/10 had to knock off 0,5 for the singing though

btw, to mention some of the crappy stuff i've bought over the times (thank god it wasn't that much....), becoming the archtype (ok that's just a real shitty band, there's no other way to phrase it. i can NOT understand all the good reviews), mnemic (audio injected soul is the one i got...i loved "deathbox", which is the song why i bought the album. unfortunately, the whole record sounds like a bunch of songs TRYING to catch that deathbox vibe but miserably failing but for a few examples ), meshuggah's catch 33 would be another example...but oh well, maybe it's just beyond my limited understanding.

discuss!
                  Last edited by Fragle; 02-28-2007, 05:53 AM.

Comment

• cool reviews, Fragle.

hey, if you like Iced Earth AND Blind Guardian, have you checked out Demons & Wizards? It's a project featuring Jon Schaffer & Hansi Kursch. The last album was based on Roland and the Dark Tower, and I thought it kicked some serious ass. http://www.bnrmetal.com/groups/dewi.htm

I really, really like Sacrament too. I know a lot of people dogged it (but then, a lot dogged the last album when it came out too) but I like that they have continued to kick ass and have expanded their sound while they were at it. And Descending is one of my current favourites.
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

• Yeah, I became a HUGE Unearth fan the first time I saw them live. They just blew me away. I've seen them 3 times now. Ken and Buzz ALWAYS hang out after the show and talk to fans, sign autographs and whatnot. Great guys. The Oncoming Storm is my favorite, but Stings of Concience is great too. I don't have the newest one yet
                      LOG- ROCKS.
                      Never heard Blind Guardian..heard OF them..but clueless about their music.
                      I'm currently on a Hyposcrisy trip. Virus is an awesome album.

Comment

• jesus, I actually had that Blind Guardian album I cave it away tho.
                        If I remember correctly mr. Flemming Rasmussen produced it and yeah there was a lot of Metallica in it. One song was actually like a weird remake of MOP.
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

• Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                          cool reviews, Fragle.

hey, if you like Iced Earth AND Blind Guardian, have you checked out Demons & Wizards? It's a project featuring Jon Schaffer & Hansi Kursch. The last album was based on Roland and the Dark Tower, and I thought it kicked some serious ass. http://www.bnrmetal.com/groups/dewi.htm

I really, really like Sacrament too. I know a lot of people dogged it (but then, a lot dogged the last album when it came out too) but I like that they have continued to kick ass and have expanded their sound while they were at it. And Descending is one of my current favourites.
                          +1 on the Demonds and Wizards..they have two releases out..a sure thing fro you Fragle!!

Comment

• So , for the first time in a long time I haven't kept up with my music shopping. Since the wife lost her job, that extra pocket money is paying for groceries. So Gary and crew..

I'm going to be ordering some new metal , "must haves" that came out in the last 6 months or so..I know I'm waiting for the new Symphony X and I don't know if Jorn's stuff is out yet..is the new Tarot released yet?

For tech death..The new Matyr and Arsis is definitely on my list..

I haven't totured myself by window shopping at my favorite metal sources..but some cash is going to come in soon.

I have bought a couple things like the new Therion..but I haven't listened to it yet..

Thanks,

Bill Z Bub
                            Last edited by horns666; 03-01-2007, 12:53 AM.

Comment

• I'll have to check my collection for recent purchases when I get home tonight. But in the meantime, have you picked up Coldworker's debut yet? Featuring our own JCFer, Anders Bertilsson. The vox are heavier than I normally listen to but there is some serious riffing on this one.

The new Tarot album has been released, but I haven't found it here yet. The new tracks on MySpace are good though, and I shared the new video with Em the other day.

I know you're over them after the last album, but I'm really digging the new KsE cd. Much better than the last, I think. But I understand if you're not interested in that one
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

• Thanks G!!!

Yes, please get back with me, no hurry..I have to make a list..just need some things that I know wil be really good..

Anders band eh..sure..I'll check that out.

So, KSE stepped it up huh?..I'll check that out too..is it their best one..I didn't care for the three I had really..some good riffage and tone..but thay style of clean vox and lack of solos kinda killed it for me.

Hey anyone..remeber this..this was Bill Z's first favorite TV show!!

look how cheesy this looks now..

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                                X