Bill's New Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bill\'s New Home

No, we vote for our choice for President and for the local officials separately. I can vote for Bush, a Republican, for President, and vote for Gene Taylor, a Democrat, for Congress, no problem.

nfortunately we also have a system called the Electoral College that sometimes thwarts the popular vote for President. Each state has a certain number of delegates, or electors, to the Electoral College, depending on its population. Mississippi might have 3, California might have 33, for example.

Each state's votes for President are totaled, and whoever gets a majority gets all the delegates for that state. So let's say Kerry
    gets 51% of California's vote - he then gets all the delegates for that state, even if 49% of the people voted for Bush. This leads to occasional situations where the candidate who wins the popular vote loses the Electoral ollege vote and the one with fewer popular votes is elected. This happened in 2000 with Gore getting the Popular vote, Bush getting the EC vote, and the courts deciding in Bush's favor over the disputed vote in Florida. That's why the issue of a few thousand votes carried that election, because Florida has a lot of electoral votes and the election was very close elsewhere.

I personally feel the EC is a relic from the days when it took months to count votes from around the country and a decision was needed more quickly. Others disagree and say it gives smaller states relatively more influence since a election can come down to a very few electoral votes, thus every single state must be courted by the candidates. I can see the logic of that but disagree myself.

Probably more info than you wanted; it's a failing of mine! :=/
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Lerx, I appreciate the info and the reply. It was both informative and tedious. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
      Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

You guys rule ...

Em, damn woman you have some smarts in that head of yours!

Keep the talking going ..because you guys are bringing honest and great thoughts to the table in a awesome manner...

keep it cool ...I'll be back tonight after our first band practice in four months ..the guys are just comung in now.

we have a "meeting"...a friggin' "meeting" ...yeah like any of this crap is important.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'm the commander of the bead of nails committee... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

the commite comsists of three people including my dumb ass...we're awesome.

I heard that Osama is voting for Kerry ...but this could be rumor..I dunno.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

well, Osama's got the right idea then.

actually, if Mr. Laden had been a bit nicer about things, and wrote an internet BLOG about why he hates the U.S so much...instead of bombing the WTC...and then crashign planes into it. Not to mention the embassy and that damn boat. I bet he probably has a few good points about our culture.

But then again, we're not too concerned with him anyway....we got Saddam, that's what counts right?

Comment

Well, if Sammy bin Laden - I call him Sammy since it p1sses him off - hadn't decided to throw a sh1tfit because the Saudi king decided the US military could defend his country better than some mujahadeen with some Stingers and AKs, then he'd be calmly banging his houris in his tent and the world would be a better place. His motive is purely revenge because he lost face, and as a spoiled filthy rich Saudi brat, he threw a 15-year tantrum that's still going on. His ostensible reasons for his terror campaign are just as much bullsh1t as John Kerry's tell-me-what-you-want-so-I-can-lie-and-promise-itis bullsh1t. Of course as an idealistic youngster you don't yet realize this, but one day you will.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Just like my Grandparents realized voting republican for 50 years prior to retirement was such a good idea? Ignorant farmers..thinking about NOW instead of the FUTURE. Just like morons who vote based on Tax Breaks and illogical issues like abortion and candidate beliefs. I have an elderly friend, who can't afford her medications or get her knees replaced...but can't get medicare because she "has too much money" according to teh Bush way. Then there's the whole stem cell thing. You know what? Another 4 years of Bush and that's another 4 years of stagnating cancer research...STEM CELL are KEY to curing these types of illnesses, but since....Bush is this devout moral christian...it's bad and we can't do it. I've watched my class get fvcked in the ass by the republican party since I became aware of politics...my parents one lofty retirement plans withering every term a repub. is in office while the CEO's of their respective companies witness benefits and tax breaks. And I know..as a green thumb educator, I"m better off with the liberal pansies...at least they pretend to give a **** about the future. Terror will always be here, we can take over the entire world..it won't make a damn bit of difference. Wake up...we don't need Monkey Boy to protect us from the bad guys, we need to grow our own pair of balls along with some cultural awareness, learn when and where to stick our noses and how to stick our noses in it when it comes to that.

If Bush wins..I am seriously considering moving to Sweden. I'm sick of being force fed this crap about how great this **** is. I don't give a **** about IRaq, I give a **** about me.

an Idealist I am not. But I believe in hearing both sides of the story. Unlike this entire forum.

Comment

Hey ...I watch Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity and liberal Al every friggin night..

They are they only ones in Media that I can somewhat trust..at least they don't play around and sugar coat crap..

they get right down and dirty with all involved...you can hear both sides of the coin. I like it when they fight ...I saw some good heated exchanges..It looked like some of those could have got physical....cool!

Last week Hannity was interviewing this fairly credible democrat vietman vet and they were arguing about the whole Kerry / Swiftboat deal...and the guy was pounding his fist on the table and cursing ..and Sean got pretty red in the face and told him to watch his language or he'd throw him off....cool!

anyone of these ever get physical ...I know they showed a couple of senatore and whatnot at meetings actually brawling a few times ...cool!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  It's sad that your own country was dominated by Russia or Germany for most of its history too. We were not in a position to help your country when the Soviets had twice as many troops, tanks and nuclear weapons as we did, but I'm still sorry we couldn't do so. Ultimately, by outspending them militarily until their empire collapsd, that's how we helped your nation become free, but it took 45 years.

[/ QUOTE ] Hey man I'm glad you know that we had some serious sh1t here. And I totaly understand that US couldn't help everyone. It isn't your fault that our people were killed and harassed. It is all because some selfish leaders and stupid people who followed them.
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

yyyyyeah and those beheadings and torture is so fukked up..

they just got another female hostage she's been working there help building new schools and crap since 90 or 91.

I think she's British..I hope she makes it out like those two Italian women.

But being British doesn't help her since they're big friends of the US ..I think she's done.

Those friggin' animals....they must die...and they will.

Comment

Hey the stars are back....yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I got my absentee ballot for the state of California... and one of the issues I can vote on is stem cell research.
                        Bush may be Pres, but he can't make issues go away entirely.

Anyway- Bill Z! Had an idea this morning. (before coffee even!) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        If you and your band buddies called yourselves Bed of Nails Group you could just shorten it to BONG. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                        Maybe you can discuss it at your next committee meeting.

Coffee is done.
                        Ciao,
                        Em

Comment

I think Billy and the Voz Bangers would be a great name for the band.
                          Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Just like my Grandparents realized voting republican for 50 years prior to retirement was such a good idea? Ignorant farmers..thinking about NOW instead of the FUTURE. Just like morons who vote based on Tax Breaks and illogical issues like abortion and candidate beliefs. I have an elderly friend, who can't afford her medications or get her knees replaced...but can't get medicare because she "has too much money" according to teh Bush way. Then there's the whole stem cell thing. You know what? Another 4 years of Bush and that's another 4 years of stagnating cancer research...STEM CELL are KEY to curing these types of illnesses, but since....Bush is this devout moral christian...it's bad and we can't do it. I've watched my class get fvcked in the ass by the republican party since I became aware of politics...my parents one lofty retirement plans withering every term a repub. is in office while the CEO's of their respective companies witness benefits and tax breaks. And I know..as a green thumb educator, I"m better off with the liberal pansies...at least they pretend to give a **** about the future. Terror will always be here, we can take over the entire world..it won't make a damn bit of difference. Wake up...we don't need Monkey Boy to protect us from the bad guys, we need to grow our own pair of balls along with some cultural awareness, learn when and where to stick our noses and how to stick our noses in it when it comes to that. If Bush wins..I am seriously considering moving to Sweden. I'm sick of being force fed this crap about how great this **** is. I don't give a **** about IRaq, I give a **** about me. an Idealist I am not. But I believe in hearing both sides of the story. Unlike this entire forum.

[/ QUOTE ]Those ignorant farmers worked their asses off you could become an effete liberal snob; you might show some respect.So because you disagree with us on this forum you demonize us just like you do Bush. That's great. Go to Sweden where you can be reviled as a suckup American, knock yourself out. Even if you side with their outlookthey will look down on you as disloyal to your own people. So will your Muslim "friends" who support terrorists even if they disagree with them out of a sense of unity. In case you forgot, I have big medical problems and am getting fukked in my pursuit of disability and medical care too. The thing is, I'm gonna die one day no matter what, but I can think of what's best for the nation, not just myself. Going belly up to the terrorists so they can wipe us out is not my idea of patriotism. Kerry wants a "sensitive" war on terror; what a fukkin' joke!Kerry is not going to push stem cell research forward or do most of the things he's promising, because he's a politician whose greatest skill is the backpedal to stay afloat. His billionaire gigolo ass doesn't give a fukk about you and your issues, and if Massachusetts had been a Republican bastion then he'd be a Republican, not a Democrat. If elected he will dump 90% of his promises and just blame the GOP, while shaking hands with them behind closed doors.But of course you have the right to choose Herman Munsterif you want. If he wins I'm not leaving because it's as much my country as his, billionaire gigolo or not.
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Lerx-
                              This one's on me! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Em

Comment

You all do realize you're all in a way being quite hypocritical in this whole thing right? Bill you say Dems are tearing the country apart by being more liberal and confronting minority issues yet the republican conservatists do the same thing by not ensuring these peoples rights and freedoms are met. Lerx you say Democracts just demonize everything well so do Republicans, you demonize Kerry as someone who is too scared to deal with the supposed problem of terror and just pussy foots around it. You say he's a liar before he takes office, well all politicians are liars.

The same things are happening on both sides, I just happened to point out the Republican ones because Drip is the only one on that side, but it goes both ways.

I shall now run off to play in the snow.

Comment

Working...
                                X