Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judas Priest at Ozzfest

Hi!
    I went to ozzfest on Monday, and Judas Priest put on a hell of a show! I really had a great time there, and i just keep on thinking about it. I still can't believe that i saw them live!

Lets see, as for slipknot on the second stage, they put on a pretty good show. I kinda accidently got shoved up front onto the gate at center stage, so that kicked ass [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Meanwhile, my dad was behind me in the pit somewhere having a good time.

The main stage shows were great. I only have one problem... Slayer's sound was definitely the least loud of all the shows... I always heard that slayer was supposed to be so fuckin loud... it was just loud enough to hear, but not loud enough to feel...But I'm glad i got to see ol' Dave back in the ring! He played a short solo, but it still kicked all ass [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

And as for Black Sabbath: I'm so happy i got to see Tony Iommi! Holy **** i didn't realize his sound was that BIG. Their self titled song just sounded so powerful! Especially with Iommi's original SG with the single coils! The last few times i went to ozzfest, The Tweeter Center in Mansfield was always one of the last stops on the tour, so the bands were exhausted. This year, it was the second stop! So Ozzy was jumpin around, everyone had energy, and no one looked exhausted [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I didn't get to see much of Black Label Society... Unfortunately, they decided to

Re: Judas Priest at Ozzfest

wanna finish your riveting story please? you can't end a post with "Unfortunately, they decided to"

Comment

did Priest slip in any new tunes as a tease?
      "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

oh wow, it cut my post off o.O

They decided to play in the middle of slipknot, so i only caught the last 3 songs.

I haven't really listened to much Priest, but i know they'rea great band. So i donno if they played any songs that were new >.o they didn't say so, but they did say that they have an album coming out soon.

Comment

There is no substitute for Judas Priest!! Priest kicks ass, period. Seen em a few times and I'm always blown away. I just wish I could see Sabbath sometime.

Slipknot can't even begin to hang with the Priest...in their dreams. [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

Comment

No new tunes by Priest [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] They belted out all the classics. Opened with Eletric Eye. Halford sounded as good as ever and Tipton and KK f'n shredded. They played the intro to breakin law with Tipton, KK and Ian Hill all crossed arms playing the necks of each others guitars! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Halford came out on his motorcycle like the good old days. KK Downing played the ESP V with the Priest logo headstock for a while. Tipton played a sick starish shaped Hamer for a while.
            They played a VERY powerful performance.

Sabbath were sick! They actually sounded heavier than usual and were maybe tuned down more than usual?
            Opened with War Pigs and had pictures of Bush and Hitler on the giant screen with a slogan like "Same ****, different shovel" (I forget the exact words" [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]oke:
            The camera zoomed in on Iommi's fake fingers a bunch of times [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] He played a beaten up walnut SG with clear pickguard that had old sabbath picks behind it.
            Geezer gutler drank a bumch of Coronas and Ozzy never bothered changing from his black /white striped jogging pants we have all seen him in on a certain TV show!
            Bill Ward was old, fat and fuckin great.

Slayer ripped but definitely had the worst sound quality / volume. Maybe as a crowd control precaution!?

Zakk played his RR1! "God Bless Randy Rhodes"

Phil Anselmo was an ****. [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

GOOD TIMES!

Comment

YEAH Phil sucked! He shaved all his hair off except for the middle part, so he looks like a total wigger now running around on stage >.<

Ya though, that old SG is the one he recorded a lot of the old stuff with. In an interview he said he can't play it that much because there's a problem with the neck bowing and making it go as far as a half step out of tune if he holds it wrong. He originally had a strat but the pickups got fried, and he then fell in love with the SGs.

But ya, V said everything that didn't show up in my first post.

Comment

I saw the Hartford show, and with Superjoint Ritual, I thought the band was pretty tight. But I'm only vaguely familiar with there 1st record. Kevin Bond used his Rhoads custom with the green bevels and what I believe are pot leaf inlays.

Phil was, as always, giving his Phil-osophy between songs. Even at one point the drummer yelled "Let's go!" to get Phil to stop ranting and start the next song. I thought he was remarkably "with it" though compared to how f'd up he'd look when he's interviewed, etc...his voice sounded pretty strong and didn't sound too haggard. Anyway, that's what I was thinking until the end of the 2nd to last song, when he crouches down at the front of the stage, tosses the microphone to the front row of the audience, turns around facing the drum riser, and proceeds to vomit right between the stage monitors as well as all over the cables! Holy sh!t!, I couldn't believe it! It wasn't just a little bit either. He did finish the set though. He didn't mention it during his last rant at the end of the show, though! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Ozzy was wearing more "stage-appropriate" stuff for this show. Right at the start, he had a frilled leather jacket on which he took off and threw in the pit area, so that was the end of that outfit! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I missed the Tweeter Center show. Couldn't afford it.

Comment

So what tuning is Judas Priest playing in these days?

Comment

Priest were playing in standard tuning, I believe--sounded the same as the records. They were tight as hell and kicked ass.

As far as Iommi's beat-up looking SG, that's not as old as you might think--it dates to about 1980 or 81. It was custom-made by British luthier John Diggins. It's a neckthru SG that is, I believe, maple with mahogany wings. You can see a picture of it when it was new and shiny on the inside gatefold of the Live Evil LP from back in '82. The reason it looks so decrepit now is that it was rushed into service before the paint had fully cured. One day, Tony left it in a hot car, and that caused the finish to start bubbling up--and the guitar was still relatively new. And the finish has steadily gone downhill over the years. I saw Sabbath in '94 on the Cross Purposes tour, and the finish was maybe 60% decent back then--I had a really up-close view in the small venue they played. Also, it doesn't have single coils--those pickups were specially handwound humbuckers made by John Birch, which were eventually the basis for the Gibson Iommi signature pickups. Even at Ozzfest, however, I could hear the difference between Tony's Gibson SGs with the Gibson pickups and the Diggins guitar. The Diggins sounds a little bit crisper and has more bite.

Given how many world tours that guitar has participated in, I'm surprised it is still playable at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X