PA systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PA systems

Alright lads. I dont think this has been brought up in a while (if ever). If it has, Ive missed it.
    Anyway, Ive been kinda offered one. My friend's father does seminars, and has recently upgraded his PA system, being a top guy, he's offered me first refusal on the old system, knowing Im into bands and that.
    Now I know its two decent sized speakers, say three/four foot high, and he says it comes with an amp, and a two way tape deck. Although Ive seen the amp, and it looks like a crappy Squier 10w guitar practice amp. But my mate says it comes with like a bin bag full of cables and I could probably get a mic thrown in as well.
    My mates dad doesnt need the money, and said "Make me an offer". Now having no idea about PA systems and their value, other than theyre expensive and you need them for vocals, what should I do?
    Can someone please explain if theyre used for anymore than vocals and drums (if mic'd up)?
    Are they used for monitors?
    Should I buy it?
    Could I get it for less than £100 ($180)
    Is it really worth having one or would it just make things easier? I know Id become sought after as a guitarist if I had a PA system, although it might not be up to what Im expecting...
    Help!

Jamesy <font color="red"> </font> <font color="black"> </font>

Re: PA systems

It depends on how many watts it is, and how many channels. There are a lot of inexpensive PA systems available for under $200US that are around 80 watts, have 4 input channels, and usually include a couple of 10-inch speakers. Fine for playing with a small band on a small stage, but really not going to offer much power or flexibility. A drummer alone could use up all of the channels. On the other hand, if you were playing with a four- or five-piece band and the drummer used triggers (and perhaps a mic for cymbals), a PA with 6 channels and more wattage would allow everyone to have a dedicated channel, and you'd probably get more output capability for speakers or monitors.

If you can get a good package deal on the guy's system, the speakers and cables alone may be worth more than what he is charging. There's certainly going to be uses for the PA amp itself, but know its capabilities and limitations before setting your expectations.
    sigpic

Comment

I would check the make of the speakers. They may be worth a "make me an offer" in their own right. It sounds like a good deal to me if cables and a mike are included.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

So say I wasnt going to be using drums through it, just vocals, how would it stand up then? Or do you always need to mic up drums/use triggers when playing gigs?

James

Comment

It depends on what is included in the deal. 10 watts of power isn't going to do a hell of a lot of good for you. When we play small gigs we use a Yamaha powered mixer. I think it is 300 watts. It also has a built in monitor amp with seperate volume controls. It is plenty loud enough for small gigs. We use it for vocals, bass drum and mic-ing the guitar amps. When we play out doors(not very often) and in my garage rehearsal studio we have a tri-amp set up. One Crown amp powers the mains, one powers the subs and one powers the monitors. All of this was pretty pricey though. Best bang for the buck IMO is a self contained powered mixer/amp combo and the JVC 1-15 pa speakers.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Thanks Scott mate.
            Im saying I dont think the amp itself is 10w, its just the size of a 10w practice amp. Although that means that it'll have the same size speaker.....
            I dunno.
            I think I wont bother. Ive nowhere to put it and its bound to go to **** like most things

James

Comment

That may not be the case. I still say those speakers may be able to take a lot more. Just because the amp is small, doesn't mean it isn't powerful. Lift it up and check the weight of the amp. There is a direct correlation between power and weight. Heavy is good.
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Look a the gear and get some specs from it. Most power amps and speakers have the power ratings and impedances written on the back of the chassis or cabinet. A 2-space power amp can be 300 watts per side, so size isn't necessarily low power. You need specific info for us to give you specific advice.

If a PA's very small, you might use it for vocals only, but in general you mic all the instruments if you possibly can so the sound man can mix your sound properly. Obviously if you have a 300watt total PA and 100-watt guitar amps and a 600-watt bass amp, then you're probably going to mic the drums and vocals only then.

You didn't mention a mixer. A PA without a mixer is not much use. A band needs a 12 to 16 channel mixer at least, unless they're playing VERY small gigs. Take a 2 guitars, bass and drums lineup, with a lead singer.
                Drums take 6-8 channels easily, mic 2 guitars and bass amps, now it's 9-11 channels and you don't even have a vocal mic plugged in yet.
                Then let's say 3 vocal mics, for lead and 2 harmony guys.

You can have a submixer for the drums and run them into 1 or 2 channels on the main PA and get more channels that way.

Anyway, let's hear what the gear is and then we can tell you more. Take a notebook over there and write this stuff down. don'y just blow it off; if nothing else you might make some money buying and reselling it. Check ity all to make sure it works first though, and let it run for at least an hour say with the tape deck running through it, so you can make sure it won't crap out when it heats up.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Thanks guys. Thats all good advice. But my mates gone to China for two weeks so itll be all quiet till then!

James

Comment

Working...
                  X