X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i'm all for helping people, but

this scares the hell out of me.

http://www.comcast.net/News/HEALTHWE...8f6b1d864.html

how disabled are they? i'm all for letting them get ahead in life and to be given chances, but to be a doctor?
    gadzooks, the last thing i want when i go in for my much overdue brain surgery is to have a surgeon with ADD doing the job. he might go surfing right in the middle of it-lol
    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Re: i\'m all for helping people, but

It would be very interesting to see how well those students could actually handle surgery or ER room work. Given that test-taking and working in a real-life situation can be very different situations, I think the real "litmus test" is whether or not those students could hack it in the real world. If they can handle real situations, then I say they probably do deserve extra time to take some written tests. But I do understand your concern that you don't want to see unqualified people in an OR with a scalpel in hand.
    Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

"Pierce, who has dyslexia and attention deficit disorder, graduated from the University of California, Berkeley in 2000 with a psychology degree and has completed premedical courses at Mills College."

Well, I for one do not want to be one of their first patients to go under their scalpel. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Seems like having ADD and dyslexia are not two qualities I want in someone that may be operating on me. Yes, I see that this guy is a psych major. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Of course, I realize that surgery is only a part of the medical practice and many of these individuals could just become general practioners or some other field in the med field.

I too am one for ensuring that everyone gets a fair shake but I feel that political correctness is really getting out of hand.

Hell, poor Arnold can not even jokingly call his polical opponents "girly-men" without him being called a homo-phobe and woman hater. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        "Pierce, who has dyslexia and attention deficit disorder

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, he is going to work at one of the HMOs like Kaiser. That profile pretty much nails the way most of the doctors I saw there when I actually had insurance.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Hell, poor Arnold can not even jokingly call his polical opponents "girly-men" without him being called a homo-phobe and woman hater. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it very interesting that the politicos out there attacking Gov. S. for his comment don't seem to have any indignation towards "Saturday Night Live" for the original skit. [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
          Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

I gotta say that it's a testament to the man who can overcome two major learning disabilities and still obtain a degree. Honestly I don't think they would have let him slide through the program.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

Wow, i think you guys are over-reacting a bit. I know several people with dyslexia, and its really not a big deal. It takes a bit longer to read some stuff. Thats about it. Its not like they're retarded or something.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]
                "Pierce, who has dyslexia and attention deficit disorder

[/ QUOTE ] Obviously, he is going to work at one of the HMOs like Kaiser. That profile pretty much nails the way most of the doctors I saw there when I actually had insurance.

[/ QUOTE ]God, what deja vu! I was treated by Kaiser for a few years and I had to buy my own book of drug interactions because the doc wasn't paying attention. Mixing the wrong stuff can kill you!Now the a$$holes won't send my medical records to the state, which led greatly into my disability claim just being denied last week! They have the vast majority of my treatment records, the fukkers! You call them to try and get them, and get a recording saying the department's closed. It's ALWAYS closed! What if the dyslexic doc takes out the wrong kidney?
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Wow, the software's still fukked up! Jeremy, you get my emails about this? See the above post for an example!

Anyway, I had nightmares with Kaiser too, and still am; they won't send my medical records to the state disability people. Therefore my SDI app just got denied because the bulk of my medical records are being withheld by Kaiser.

As for the dyslexic or ADD docs, do you want them taking the wrong kidney out of YOU?

I was in the ER yesterday for high blood pressure, and they came in and wanted to splint my finger. Then the guy says, "Hey, your finger doesn't seem broken". I said, "It's not, that's why I'm on a heart and BP monitor". They said "Oops, sorry" and went looking for the person needing the splint.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

dr.renee richards after the operation- "but i came in for penile enlargement"
                    doctor- "well, you're a woman now, sorry."
                    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I have a cousin who's dyslexic and she's a computer programmer. However, when writing a prescription and only one letter between something that can kill you and something that can cure you, I refuse to take a chance with a dyslexic doctor.

Political Correctness has gone entirely too far.

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yeah but its not like robots read the prescriptions is it?
                        Another person will be in the pharmacy, and will be all like "woah, hold on, this'll make this person die".
                        I think thats a rather pigheaded attitude towards this kinda thing.

James

Comment

my dad worked for kaiser permanente, hated it, then moved on to a better place of work. seems like her realised the same flaws in the hmo as you guys did.

Comment

Working...
                          X