Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you guys were paying for a message board...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you guys were paying for a message board...

At the moment I'm trying to create a message board script for web businesses. If you guys were paying for a message board service, what features do you think could be improved from your traditional message board? What attributes would you want? Any new things that you wish could somehow be a part of a message board?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanx!

Re: If you guys were paying for a message board...

You know what you're getting yourself into, right? The software we use has about 115 php files alone aside from all the templates, css files, images, database tables... You are much better off goin with some free software from someone like phpBB.

Comment

And that's just THIS board. Many different boards use different coding languages like Java, Javascript, XML, DHTML, and Cold Fusion just to name a few. Mastering those languages and putting it all together with other languages such as SQL, DB2, or MySQL is quite the daunting task. I agree with Jeremy and pick a free board. Learn the software and files and then modify as necessary.
      Occupy JCF

Comment

How big of a server do you guys use? Mine will have to be enormous considering not only do I have to host all of the accounts, but also all of the message boards.

Yeah, I realize it's a terrible pain in the arse, but I'm going to give it a shot anyway. So far, my biggest pain is getting the CGI and perl scripts to work! For the carbunckle it is, it could rake in some serious dough, and the best part is I manage myself.

I'll keep in mind the phpBB, thanks for the tip!

BTW, 115 php files?! I weep for your souls!

What I'm doing isn't just a message board, it's like CGI on top of CGI. Basically, the companies get to design their own message boards down to the last detail. The scripts are so hard to make it's not even funny. I mean good God, you make a CGI script for a CGI script! It gets really confusing really fast. So far, I haven't even gotten the first script working yet, something always goes wrong where I have to tear it all down and star over again. At the moment, I'm trying the idea out on a guestbook. If I can get that to work, then I'll dig into the Bulletein Boards. Also, any help on writing the scripts would be awesome too!

Comment

If you're doing "CGI on top of CGI", why don't you just go to straight PHP or Java???

Honestly, it sounds like you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Take it from me, I've been on the managerial side and am now on the IT side. The more fat you trim, the better. If you can find a free license or a very cheap license to use for your business application you will be revered as a god among mortals.
          Occupy JCF

Comment

Yeah, I think you really need to think this stuff out a bit more.

Comment

Are you saying, you would create the board for them and charge them? If our guys were paying someone, wouldn't they have to charge the users? i.e. ME. (There's nothing else going on, so I thought I would just butt in. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

To my knowledge, somebody does have to pay for the service used on this board, at least for the server space.

As for using Javascript instead of CGI on top of CGI, how would you do that?

Here's how I would run the system:

My server
                -individual companies need cgi bins
                --users for that company use cgi bins

The companies don't necessarily get charged for the creation of a message board, what they pay for is the server space.

I'm still in the learning stages, and can barely write a decent script. I'm a fast learner, that combined with 4am nights will do the trick after a while (crossing fingers).

Comment

Working...
                X