Bass - How to Achieve ball shattering tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass - How to Achieve ball shattering tone

So how do bass players from bands like Entombed, Carcass, Divine Empire, Exhumed etc. (pretty sure I'm forgetting alot of bands) get that sound? Is it Studio, EQin, Pedal/Rack?? I'm curious because being in a three piece band right now means we need all the chunk and ass rumbling tones we can muster. Shoot me any ideas fellas. Im all ears ... [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img] ...

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: Bass - How to Achieve ball shattering tone

I always think it's in the player to me there is 3 types of bassists

1. The Mike Anthony type, always on time, nice bottom end, and awsome back up vocals

2. The Nikki sixx type, the ones that can barley play and are really someware else during the show.

3. The Les Claypool type, The one that has the skills and everything but just doesn't know where to fit in.

That's not a knock on Nikki as he's my hero and he is Motley Crue and Rock and Roll but his Bass playing is middle of the road, his song writing is the best of all time though
    I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

I don't know for sure for those bands, but my best guess (based on what I do) is that it is most likely EQ and compression (and maybe a few other effects) in the studio.
      Have you seen any of these bands live? How do their live tones differ for their (studio) album tones?

There is obviously more then one way to skin a cat, so...

Nick

Comment

I've seen all but Carcass and Entombed. Exhumed had this bass tone that was like a a slow buzz saw on 'roids type sound. The guy was playing out of a combo type rig (15 incher I Think) and he was cutting thru damn well.

Comment

Dude I've been a bassist for a very long time ....but are you referring to getting a really bassy heavy guitar tone...

We sure we can assist you in that depart ... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

If you are talking about studio tone, one of the keys is to record both the bass guitar direct into the board AND through a bass amplifier at the same time. Usually, you would use a splitter box to send the bass's signal to both mixing board and amplifier. During the mix, you would adjust the amount of each sound source for a balance between the clean precision and huge frequency response of the direct sound vs. the body and distortion of the amplifier. You'll want to use a microphone on the amp that can pick up the low frequencies. I believe the Sennheiser MD421 is a classic for this, though maybe I'm forgetting something about this (been a long time since I miked anything).

Second, your choice of amp has a lot to do with it. If you want a really growling huge sound, there is simply nothing like an Ampeg SVT turned up incredibly loud. There are probably newer boutique setups that will do even better, but the SVT is the classic for heavy music. By the way, check out the recent article on Geezer Butler in Bass Player mag. Geezer is the godfather of metal bass players, much more so than guys like Mike Anthony or Nikki Sixx--especially if you are playing extreme metal. Anyway, Geezer talks about the need for sheer volume to get a full overdriven bass tone, rather than using pedals.

Third, you'll want to add compression at the mixing board. Most recorded bass is very heavily compressed to keep a constant volume and presence on the bass--very important. I would rather use compression at the board, rather than in your bass signal chain for recording purposes.

Fourth--what bass are you using. An instrument like Alembic designed for funk guys is going to sound like crap in metal music. Classic metal basses are the Fender P-bass and Rickenbacker 4003. I love the 4003, myself. It gives you lots of biting high-end that will work very well with a heavily overdriven sound. Sharlee D'Angelo from Arch Enemy uses a 4003, and he has the best metal bass sound going today, in my opinion.

Comment

Another thing--and I'm no expert on this--the brand/type of strings you use make a HUGE difference in your sound. Good bass strings will make your bass sound totally different and alive--and will be easier to play, to boot.

Comment

Ampeg SVT's and the magic touch, with alittle compression, and EQ.
                1990 Jackson Professional
                1992 Dean ML
                2004 Epiphone Flying V
                2005 Epiphone Dot
                2009 Fender Stratocaster
                2007 Fender H/S/S Stratocaster
                2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
                2006 Fender P Bass
                2006 Ibanez Exotic Acoustic
                1984 Marshall JCM800 Stack
                1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe DeVille
                Custom Pedalboard