About posting pictures on JCF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About posting pictures on JCF

Ok, something I've noticed when most people post pictures on this messageboard of their instruments. Why do the pictures usually seem like they are a meg in size, and are like 75% background and 25% actual subject. Yes, for the moment I am still on dial-up modem. But I can successfully make pictures 800X600 with great quality with only about 150 or less kilobytes. On most paint programs there is a 'crop' feature that lets You cut out all the background so we can focus on the subject at hand. Thereby reducing Your picture size immensely, and at the same time letting us focus on the subject. [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Re: About posting pictures on JCF

Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

A large, detailed 56k friendly picture of my awesome Warrior. And if I wanted to crop the background out of this picture I could save even more space, and the file would be about 70k.

Comment

<font color="aqua">I feel your pain bro..... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Sorry, I guess I got into rant mode a bit. But hey, I hate when I see "56k users need not apply". It doesn't have to be this way.

Comment

You have taken the most extreme example to make your point. That's OK but i need to comment on that. Your picture consists of mainly black and yellow and lots of sharp defined areas. That is JPEG's favourite dish. It can really ignore most of the data in that picture due to redundancy and replace them with some simple algorithms.

But generally you are right.
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            You have taken the most extreme example to make your point. That's OK but i need to comment on that. Your picture consists of mainly black and yellow and lots of sharp defined areas. That is JPEG's favourite dish. It can really ignore most of the data in that picture due to redundancy and replace them with some simple algorithms.

But generally you are right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe me, I could make many examples with different pictures and the outcome would be very similar. I understand your point too though.

Comment

Damn, i forgot to comment on your Warrior. GOSH! It is radiant! I love it [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
              Henrik

Comment

Thanks Man, I'm loving it too. Just got it 2 months ago.

Comment

Next time i post pics i'll think about your comment. I outta save my pics with more loss thereby making them smaller in KB. That won't hurt most pictures anyway.
                  Henrik

Comment

...Or, just make your pictures 640x480 so that you know that EVERYBODY can view the whole picture without having to scroll horizontally. I let my software do its standard 21% compression also, and so the average filesize is about 40KB.

I only use huge resolutions when I know that I'm going to be printing out blown-up photos.

Comment

People are lazy.
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                      X