Ohm ratings on home stereo speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohm ratings on home stereo speakers?

OK, I admit that figuring out ohm ratings on amps and cabs gives me a headache as it is, but now I've got some old home stereo speakers that I want to use, but the ohm rating doesn't match up to the new system I bought. On my old Aiwa system, the speakers were listed as 6 ohms each. I just picked up a little Panasonic bookshelf, and want to use the Aiwa speakers, but the Panasonic speakers are listed as 3 ohms each. Would it be bad for either the stereo or the Aiwa speakers to hook them up?
    sigpic

Re: Ohm ratings on home stereo speakers?

I'd check them with a meter and see just how close they actually are. If you luck out and they are close, you might be ok. Otherwise, I'd be afraid to use it and it might damage the output transistors by overheating them and they might pop.

Comment

If i read your post correctly, it is OK to connect the 6 ohm speakers to the the Panasonic amplifiers 3 ohm speaker output. No problem. The 6 ohm speaker might not play as loud as the Panasonic 3 ohm speakers would, but that's the only problem i see.

Note! The following is far fetched, but i have to cover my back: If your Panasonic speakers contain active electronics of any kind, disregard what i said. But they probably don't.
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

That's what my intent is -- to connect the old 6 ohm Aiwa speakers to the Panasonic unit in place of the 3 ohm Panasonic speakers. It's not that the Panasonic speakers sound bad, but they don't fit well in my entertainment center since getting a bigger TV. The Aiwa speakers are bigger and can sit on the floor.

I'll plug them in just to see how it goes...
        sigpic

Comment

yeah, now that I'm thinking of it, I believe that speakers which are rated higher in ohms than the stereo is rated for, would be better to use than speakers rated lower.

A lower impedance speaker would put more load on the output transistors.

Comment

Working...
          X