Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow.. this pic just messed me up...

Re: Wow.. this pic just messed me up...

yeah ... that is pretty sad. Not sure how some people can make a living taking pictures like that. I know I couldn't. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

heh.. funny you mentioned that, the photographer committed suicide apparently.

"Johannesburg - Kevin Carter, the South African photographer whose image of a starving Sudanese toddler stalked by a vulture won him a Pulitzer Prize this year, was found dead on Wednesday night, apparently a suicide, police said yesterday. He was 33. The police said Mr Carter's body and several letters to friends and family were discovered in his pick-up truck, parked in a Johannesburg suburb. An inquest showed that he had died of carbon monoxide poisoning."

Lots more info on it here: http://www.flatrock.org.nz/topics/od..._in_unfair.htm

Comment

Savatage - Poets and Madmen

This picture and Kevin are key in the story of the album.

http://www.savatage.com/bandinfo/alb...andmstory.html
        Occupy JCF

Comment

thanks, that was a great read

Comment

The cool thing about the story/album (besides the music and the last recording of Criss Oliva {Shotgun Innocence}) is that you don't see the picture that they're talking about until you pop the CD tray off. It's hidden behind it.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

Interesting how the guy took the pic, but did he help the child afterward? If not, I'd assume that's why he offed himself.

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

In the linked article, it says he did chase the vulture away...but only after getting the shot.
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Interesting how the guy took the pic, but did he help the child afterward? If not, I'd assume that's why he offed himself.

Newc

[/ QUOTE ]

Poignant thought Newc.
                  That picture breaks my heart. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Em

Comment

sigh...i'm with em. first jake e. lee's meth addiction, now this...sad times.

Comment

It sucks that we have stuff like this going on in the world and the majority of people are bitching about gas prices.

Comment

That picture is sooooo sad...but I can't help but be reminded of the old Sam Kinison rant "You know that guy has a sandwich in his bag!! Give the kid the f****ing sandwich!!!" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Then again, buzzard's gotta eat - "Starving Somalian: It's what's for dinner"

Actually, these people live in an absolute wilderness, and they refuse to move to a better location. I say it's their own fault.

And from a different perspective, the Pharoahs were from Ethiopia, and God said He would punish the Ethiopians for keeping the Hebrews as slaves (as well as a bunch of other stuff they did - human sacrifice, the whole mummification thing, hoarding gold and jewels, worshipping golden idols and such, setting themselves up as gods).
                          Still, it's a rough life they have.

Newc
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Then again, buzzard's gotta eat - "Starving Somalian: It's what's for dinner"

[/ QUOTE ] That's exactly what I was thinking. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Mmm... Tastes just like starving chicken...

Comment

Working...
                              X