Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Else Get Really Bad Leg Cramps? HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Else Get Really Bad Leg Cramps? HELP!!!

My whole life I've always got leg cramps/charlie Horses, when I was young they always happend when I was either playing nintendo sitting in a chair or while I slept in bed, Well the past few nights while sleeping both my legs have just cramped up, I can feel the fukking musceles just TWIST in my legs/ankles/feet, I have to start running out in my backyard shouting obsenities when this happens.

What Can I Do?????????? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I don't think it's an exersise thing, I run a few times a week, this never happens or has happend when I riding my bike or when I raced dirt bikes. My diet is pretty normal, I hardkey eat anything crap, at least 1 salad a day, with snaking on fruit the rest of the day, I'm just lost and in pain [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
    I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Re: Anyone Else Get Really Bad Leg Cramps? HELP!!!

There are a few main causes of cramps. First, you may be dehydrated. Drink a minimum of 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Other beverages count because they all have water in them. But if you go with the 8 glasses of water on top of whatever else you drink, you'll be all good.

Another thing is if you are low on sodium and/or potassium. These are what help muscle contract. The muscles fire by the exchange of sodium and potassium inside the muscle. If you run for an hour or more, drink Gatorade or a mixture of half juice/half water. The 5-6% solution of sugar water is optimal for rehydration. Plus Gatorade has sodium and potassium in them. You can also eat foods that are high in potassium like bananas.

Another thing is you might be menstral. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Eat two bananas a day bro. I'm a mountain biker and my legs would always cramp up on me. Now that I eat two bananas a day cramps are gone. Good source of the potassium you need to avoid those cramps.
      We must!
      We must!
      We must increase the bust!
      The bigger the better!
      The tighter the sweater!
      The boys are counting on us!

Comment

I've been told banana's before, Right now I'm an apple/grape person. I'll go out tonight and buy bananas.

Comment

DRS, I have to share my recent expereinces. I eat a banana everyday and several other fruits with NO exception. I always drink much more than 64 oz of water aday. I eat no junk food and keep a very good diet. I excercize often. INn the last 6 months I have been getting alot of Leg cramps in my sleep. Heres the deal, they arent traditional charlie horses in my calf. They are like a shin splint, where the muscle right outside of the shin bone cramps up. Its very painful and not nearly as easy to get rid of as a calf cramp. they suck a$$. I have done research on the net, and asked a nurse friend of mine and she checked with a ortho Doctor. He said there really isnt any miracle treatment and I came up with nothing on the net. My cramps happen during sleep after the excercize. If I mow the lawn, or work out I get the cramps that night during my sleep. The only thing I found to help it is to really stretch good before and after any activities and stretch real good before bed time. That has seemed to help alot and its much easier to work the cramp out when they do happen. This is all I can tell you from my experience. I hope this helps. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Dude ...I drink Pop all day and I only eat meat mostly . I probably have half an angus lodged in my colon. So I really can't give you any nutritional advice...

Besides drinking lots of water and eating right ...you'll probably benefit from a short daily stretching routine..that seemed to help me when I was doing some major excercizing and running.

get some good info on stretching ...you can do more damage if not done properly.
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I drink probally 10-15 bottles of water a day, The only time this happens is when I sleep. The only thing I have bad in my diet is Cigerettes and Coffee, everything is Salad,chicken, fruit, maybe some pork and a steak sometimes. I'll start streching at night I guess

Comment

Well there you go...quit eating cigarettes!!! then you wont get leg cramps!!! [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Bananas!!! And just make sure you stretch good before and AFTER the workout...

Comment

I don't have your problem with cramps in bed, but i often have the problem when running and biking. You want to look these headwords up on the net or ask your doctor about them:

<font color="orange"> Quinine. </font>Many people drink tonic water to avoid those leg cramps. Tonic water contains quinine and that treat regular cramp sufferers. I don't think there is a scientific/medical explanation known at this point.

<font color="orange"> Calcium and Magnesium.</font> Make sure you get enough through diet. Easy solution is to drink some isotonic sportsdrink.

<font color="orange"> Salt (natrium, sodium) .</font> Make sure you get enough through diet. If you sweat a lot, salt goes out your body with the sweat. Easy solution is to drink some isotonic sportsdrink.

<font color="orange"> Heat and dehydration. </font> If it's hot, drink a lot of water or isotonic sportsdrink. Remember that the body will absorb pure water the fastest (you want that if you are dehydrated). Sugar in water will slow the process down.

Don't drink too much water or you will flush your system for important electrolytes and minerals - your body needs them. If you feel like the water is running right through your system and you need to piss all the time, you are overdoing it.

Good luck. Oh yeah, i agree on the banana/potassium thing.
                    Henrik
                    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I used to have the same thing happen..nothing like immense pain waking your ass up in the middle of the night to start screaming obscenities that'll wake your neighbors up.

Potassium supplements &amp; drink spring water. Bananas are good too, but supplements are a key if you do not eat properly or not in the mood to snack on a banana.

Supplements will take effect much faster. The rest of these suggestions are good too.

Nuts are great too! I eat alot of pistachios, (very good potassium source if you are not crazy on bananas) peanuts, cashews, etc. Good source of energy as well.

Comment

Eat more meat. Sounds like ya just need a wee bit o' grease in yer viens. Go grab a burger.

Comment

Stop playing Nintendo. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

The caffine is probably dehydrating you. I get the cramps any night I have more than a 12 pack of beer.

Comment

I've also been working about 60 hours a week for the past month or so, It's not hard work(I'm a Boat parts Counterman/Rep) but it's just a daily grind. I only get sunday off so most of my sunday is also running around, mowing the lawn, doing **** for the rest of the week, I think I need a vaction [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X