Jazz Guitarists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazz Guitarists

Hey all. I've been trying to expand my music collection by looking into different styles. Can any of you recomend any good jazz guitarists to listen to?
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Re: Jazz Guitarists

While not a Jazz guitarist myself (I prefer Swing), the Guitar magazines always recommend Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow. They keep listing it as one of the best guitar albums of all time. I bought it a while back and didn't hear anything to back up that claim, though I may not be listening to it "properly".

WalMart also had a compilation CD of Jazz Guitar (forget the name of it and can't find it now). Anyhoo it had Mike Bloomfield and some others - a couple of them I've heard on the Weather Channel [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Anyhoo, it was tolerable, but didn't inspire me to pick up a guitar and learn it.
    Also Joe Pass was good. I've got his 6-String Santa CD (Christmas songs), though I have to say he uses off-notes and such which IMO screws the song up, but that's what them types go for [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I remeber Scott Henderson being very good.

Alan Holdsworth..his early stuff rules..

Frank Gambale is a major monster ...he was with the Chick Korea band ...mostly Jazz/ fusion I guess..

another great albulm is CAB I and II with Tony MacAlpine , Bunny Brunell and I forgot who's playing drums...Jazz Fusion again...

Strictly Jazz ...a lot of people like Joe Diorio..(sp)
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Good call on the CAB stuff...MacAlpine will burn the ears off ya. He is a monster who can play in any style.

I don't know how "jazzy" Blow by Blow is. Jeff's guitar is all rock to my ears, but I can hear some jazz in the other instruments. Blow by Blow is good Jeff Beck, but I'd take Guitar Shop over it any day.

Check out Alex Skolnick's new thing...it's jazz and he burns. Can't remember the name of it. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
        Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Thanks Jimmy ...yes Tony Mac is da man!!!

I had Becks blow by blow and wired ...classic great stuff ...but more rock oriented than jazz ...well I guess it's both

There is one album that he put out ...it's pretty good ...can't remember the name of it (I had it on tape) ...it's a tribute to one of his favorite 1950s guitarist..

He has a true 1950s tone and vibe on that album ...kinda like Scotty Moore and the like ....not like Brian Setzer

and speakin' of whom didn't he put out some cool jazz stuff as well.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I like Al DiMeola as well.

Comment

Setzer did some "swing" for a few years and yes, he can tear it up too. That thing of Beck's was called "Crazy Legs" and it was damn cool. He is one of the all time greats.
              Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

That's right Crazy Legs in tribute to Vincent ....ahhhh somebody..!!!

Al DiMeola ruler ...duh I'm not thinkin' ..

Stanley Jordan ...two handed ..very unorthadox but very cool player.

I was soooo into jazz when I played bass ...I was on my game with jazz in those years...long ago already....I'm gettin' old and senile. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

Comment

I'll second Al DiMeola. That guy is a freakin' monster!

Comment

Mahavishnu Orchestra (John McLaughlin) is some incredible stuff, as is Al Dimeola, Frank Gambale, Larry Coryell, Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, Django Reinhardt (with 2 half-melted fingers!). Robert Fripp is pretty interesting in King Crimson or other ventures.

Blow By Blow was not exactly jazz, but fusion jazz, as best as Beck could play it. Not really rock, nor really jazz, but very good in its unique way.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Pat Matheny....Beck is great on blow by blow but I always thought of it as progressive rock [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]Bloomfield is definitely a blues player.
                      anybody listen to George Benson especially before he started singing. Anybody mention Wes Montgomery,Charlie Christian(sp)Oh sorry I see Wes right above in the previous post......What about Les Paul?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Mahavishnu Orchestra (John McLaughlin) is some incredible stuff, as is Al Dimeola, Frank Gambale, Larry Coryell, Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, Django Reinhardt (with 2 half-melted fingers!). Robert Fripp is pretty interesting in King Crimson or other ventures.

Blow By Blow was not exactly jazz, but fusion jazz, as best as Beck could play it. Not really rock, nor really jazz, but very good in its unique way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% Thanks Lerx, saved me some typing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'd add Larry Carlton to that tho
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

I agree with Shawn and Rich ....saved me typing too

OK I must go and do the African courting ritual dance with the wife now , she's a callin' ....bye!

boy she must be really horny ...that's hilarious ....I'll let her suffer a little more... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

what kind of jazz are we talking? i mean, in swing/bebop, Charlie Christian was always very good. barney kessel, johnny smith, tal farlow?

Comment

Django Reinhardt!! Absolutely amazing! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                              Others in the same vein: Bireli Lagrene, Stochelo Rosenberg... and lots of others! If you start digging in the Gypsy Jazz you'll discover them one after one. Great stuff!

Anders
                              https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Working...
                              X