Van Halen Sues Orioles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Van Halen Sues Oreos

That's what I'm trying to figure out, Bill - how did EVH get to be such a hero over everyone else? It can't be his guitar playing, as there were definitely better players.
    AFAIC, Van Halen was Roth, Anthony, Alex, AND Eddie, and they all 4 needed each other, and they made Van Halen a household name because of the whole band, not Eddie, so why does he have such power that he can sue these various parties and win?

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

No if it wasn't for Ed ..there would have never been a VH...

Gene simmons went to see George Lynch's band play for a record deal ...

and was blown away buy a unknown that opened for him instead ...NEWC ..he was that good.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The did'nt call the band Roth now did they.

Hmmm... maybe they named the band after Alex.

Comment

yeah right!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

all though he was a great drummer at that time.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Billy Sheehan was going to be the original bassist for VH but Alex insisted no ...he didn't want to steal any thunder from his bro..this is true.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Gene Simmons renamed them Van Halen because of BOTH Eddie and Alex's last names. They coulda left it as Mammoth, but as Gene said "All the Mammoths are dead - don't name yourself after something that's extinct, unless you want to be also".

And George Lynch was doing exactly what on guitar at the time? Last I heard Ed and Randy were the two guitarists to watch at the time, and Ed was getting the most watching.

I'm pretty sure the BAND Van Halen blew Lynch's band away, not Eddie himself.

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Nope it was admitted by George himself that it was >>ED<< that knocked him out of the spotlight and into Gene's record deal..

Mike , Alex and Dave were OK ...but it was ED that put them and kept them on the map...this is true.

Ed didn't want to be a guitar "hero" anymore ...that was the reason why Dave left the band ..

Ed wanted to write radio freindly songs with his keyboards

and Dave wanted to keep ED in the guitar hero spotlight..this is true!

Comment

Last interview with Dave I read was he left cuz they (read: Ed) wanted to stay in the studio for a year, but Dave wanted to go on tour instead of beating the songs to death in Ed's studio.
                He did also mention he wasn't happy with Ed's keyboard fetish because it was taking away the fiery guitar that made Van Halen's music what it was.

Newc

Comment

that's right

so what did Dave do ...in 1985 he assembled a super shred band of Vai and Sheehan and Bissonette...it was a great record.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Rich - The amp and Floyd stuff was first mentioned by Bill, which is what I was responding too.And while EVH had good riffs and rhythms, all I said was that he wasn't a spectacular soloist, even for the time. Newc

[/ QUOTE ]Actually, that's NOT all you said. You said that Ed was NOT a lead guitarist. Reread your post.I knew about Gilbert picking with the drill, and credited that he did it first. Reread MY previous post.Since your theme is that the song is more important than the solo, why would it matter if Ed could write a whole instrumental album? I'm sure he could, as could all the other guys you mentioned. Love them as I do, all of those guys have written tired-sounding stuff as they agedtoo; no one is supreme all the time. Even Uli's songs declined after Firewind, though his playing itself never gets old. Blackmore's stuff DID get old after awhile, thus no more Rainbow. He was wise to go medieval with his wife; he needed fresh air.Hendrix was acid and smack; Page was smack and daiquiris,and Ed was red wine and uppers.I agree that Clapton is overrated, after "Layla" he never wrote anything interesting IMO. He still deserves his spot in history because of Cream, Blind Faith and Derek and the Dominos though.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I don't thinh he wrote "layla" if I'm not mistaken ...I think it was the same dude who wrote after midnight and cocaine ....Clapton covered about ten songs from that dude and became "his" staples...

Yes Gilbert pulled out the drill with the picks on the end for "Daddy , baby lover ...whatever?" in 1991 but Ed pulled out the drill for Poundcake in 1990..pretty close ..

whatever the case Gilbert ows his soul to Ed ..he'll be the first to admit that one..

he actualy got that idea from his friend and fellow shredder Steve Stevens when he holds his toy laser guns by his pups..

we read too many interviews... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yes, but Gilbert was picking with the drill in '86 and '87 as I saw Racer X opening for everybody in LA during those yars; it was an old trick for him by the time he did it in Mr. Big.

He and Bruce Bouillet also used to stand together and each would pick the strings on his own guitar while fretting the other's and play harmony leads that way! I've never seen anyone else do that trick!
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Oh really ..I had all their records when they came out ...but I never seen them live unfortuately..

Racer X rules!

Comment

Yeah, first time I saw 'em was in '86 I think.
                            The first album was out and I was wondering how he'd do the harmonies when it was only Glibert on record, then Bruce Bouillet came out with him and played all the harmonies and a little less than half the solos, all perfectly. Bear in mind there weren't a boatload of guys that played like that, it was terrifying and exhiliarating all at once! think that was King Kobra they opened for, but I saw them several times opening for a lot of bands, so I can't be sure. I know the only band I felt held their own going on after Racer X was Lizzy Borden. I mean Gene and Alex were not what Paul and Bruce were, but they kicked ass in their own right even when Racer X had played 30 minutes before them! I couldn't say that about King Kobra, though I did like Ready To Strike. It was just that Racer X took the wind out of their sails. I will say Carmine Appice kept his dick up despite everything, but the KK guitarists were
                            pretty embarrassed to follow Racer X. They were pretty good, but had their heads cut that night.
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Racer X rules!

[/ QUOTE ]

Bow to me, knave! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

No , not you Ron ...

not unless you bow down to my enormous cranium... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X